The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

Johnson has no established film composer partnership yet

Sure he does! His cousin Nathan has scored every one of his films!

Not his Breaking Bad episodes though. Disney would never let him near Star Wars, not in a million years.

It'd make Nicholas Hooper doing Harry Potter look sane.

Not his Breaking Bad episodes though. Disney would never let him near Star Wars, not in a million years.

A lot can happen in two years, baby doll!

Kennedy recently said in an interview she was considering retirement.

Not With My Kennedy, You Don't!

She ain't going anywhere until Treverrow is done.

Variety reports:

"The new TV spot includes a portion of the films score from composer John Williams, who could earn his 50th Oscar nomination in the original score race."

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-footage-han-solo-gun-rey-lightsaber-1201639818/

How prominently do we think the Imperial March will feature?

Probably just a cameo when Kylo Ren looks at the burned Vader mask.

But who knows. Maybe that was all JW and JJ originally planned, but then Disney execs asked for more bombastic variations for shots of bad guy ships in space and some action scenes. Who knows.

At this point, I don't trust Abrams one bit. He claimed he was just letting Williams do his thing, but it's obvious now it's as we feared. He temp tracked the film with Giacchino music.

The cover is absolutely and 100% confirmed now, a large(r ) version is hosted on Disney's own site

http://www.disneymusicemporium.com/rgshop/star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Yes, just clicking below the red dot shows the cover next to the press release.

Amazon's version is the largest though:

http://www.jwfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/tfasoundtrack.jpg

What are the current rules on FYC Promos, considering this will likely be the usual Williams Star Wars OST with combined cues and microedits galore?

Doesn't the music have to be provided relatively complete and in chronological order for FYC promos now, to provide the most accurate representation of the score as it appears in the film?

What are the current rules on FYC Promos, considering this will likely be the usual Williams Star Wars OST with combined cues and microedits galore?

Doesn't the music have to be provided relatively complete and in chronological order for FYC promos now, to provide the most accurate representation of the score as it appears in the film?

There was a rule some time ago about the music having to be presented as heard in the film (that is to say with microedits, tracked music and all), but there was nothing about it having to be presented in chronological form or as complete as possible, as far as I know.

Not sure if this rule is still being applied, though.

Well Williams is really the only composer left who presents these "creative" OST presentations, so it's hard to gauge.

Obviously Tintin, War Horse and Lincoln (praise the lords for "The Portuguese Plane" and "Trumpet Hymn") all had radically different/additional music in their FYC releases, so considering TFA will almost definitely be submitted for the Oscar, there's hope for us yet.

Anyone else a little confused as to why it's 'Music by John Williams' rather than 'Composed and Conducted by John Williams'? Probably not a big deal but isn't it almost always the latter?

Well Williams is really the only composer left who presents these "creative" OST presentations

I wish more composers were like this. So many OSTs these days I end up switching off because they're too long and not a lot of thought went into the sequencing.

Williams is absolutely not the only composer these days who does OSTs like this.

Zimmer and Christopher Young also rearrange their scores heavily. While I often want more music, their initial OST assemblies are often rather good.

Anyone else a little confused as to why it's 'Music by John Williams' rather than 'Composed and Conducted by John Williams'? Probably not a big deal but isn't it almost always the latter?

It was confirmed that William Ross did at least some conducting last summer. Lincoln also only had "Music by" because the CSO choir director did some conducting.

Then again JP had "Composed and conducted" and we know he didn't do all of that. So I dunno if it's necessarily an "all or nothing" credit.

Williams is absolutely not the only composer these days who does OSTs like this.

Zimmer and Christopher Young also rearrange their scores heavily. While I often want more music, their initial OST assemblies are often rather good.

Young's albums are usually good. Although in Hellbound: Hellraiser II, I would have axed the bizarre carnival music. I always skip that track.

I'm waiting for videos of Hyperspace Mountain at Disneyland. It has an original score, although I don't know who did it.

Source? I rode it (no video, sorry) and the music sounded like an edit of existing music. (Incidentally, I had put together a version of my own based on how I'd imagined the overlay would turn out...and I was totally right about the use of the main title, "Aboard the Executor", and "TIE Fighter Attack", though the specifics were a little different.)

I'm waiting for videos of Hyperspace Mountain at Disneyland. It has an original score, although I don't know who did it.

Source? I rode it (no video, sorry) and the music sounded like an edit of existing music. (Incidentally, I had put together a version of my own based on how I'd imagined the overlay would turn out...and I was totally right about the use of the main title, "Aboard the Executor", and "TIE Fighter Attack", though the specifics were a little different.)

It's definitely a new performance, but nothing really notable. At the D23 presentation, it was mentioned they were recording the music with the LSO and they showed images of the recording session.

I just like that for all the hype and grandeur surrounding this thing, the cover literally says all you need to know. It's Star Wars, it's John Williams. Just buy the damn thing and listen.

Am I the only one who thinks the coverart is very... Well, let's just say it looks a lot like the cover for my first attempt at a Star Wars-compilation CD I did back in '95.

It reminds me of the custom VHS covers I made like 25 years ago.

The original Star Wars album cover art is the benchmark. It was simply the Star Wars logo outlined in white against solid black with a perfect choice of font for the John Williams/London Symphony Orchestra credits. This just looks amateur for whatever reason, but kinda like they were paying homage to the original album cover, AKA ripping it off. But then, some higher-up was like, "It's just a black cover? Can we at least have stars? It's in space, right?" So they added some white dots.

Am I the only one who thinks the coverart is very... Well, let's just say it looks a lot like the cover for my first attempt at a Star Wars-compilation CD I did back in '95.

Same here! Here's my very first attempt at a cutom cover:

nbLjG6X.jpg

You really capture the aesthetic of a 5 year old superbly BB. Nice that you employed the naivistic approach for effect.