The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

the omission of 'composed by' diminishes his work, many composers who use collaborators to aid them are credited just like that. (usually you never see the full credit with zimmer, elfman, giacchino...)

And Williams supposedly orchestrated this score all by himself, or something like that was mentioned. They usually do not make emphasis on that.

So it should have been 'music composed, orchestrated & conducted by John Williams'....

Ugh. These posts make residence here very difficult at the moment. Just take a moment to listen to yourself, get some perspective in life. Yikes!

I agree that the music by credit diminishes the maestro's work, in a way.

But no, it doesn't. Unless you're a massive anal retentive prone to anxiety attacks over absolutely nothing.

Oh thank God. I was keeping quiet this whole time but thinking the same thing.

Bah, I even diminished Giacchino to make a point and i get flack from all flanks.

Nice going guys.

The funny thing is that I may probably end liking this score more than people that get affected by my comment.

The funny thing is that I may probably end liking this score more than people that get affected by my comment.

Which would make your comment even more redundant than it already is wouldn't it.

It's not like John Neufeld or the other conductors were mentioned on the cover of Jurassic Park. William Ross is still clutching a copy of Chamber of Secrets shoving it in everyone's face shouting "LOOK I DID IT!"

All that matters is if the music is good!

True. After December 18 the music will surely become the focus and all of us will forget about album covers, credits, etc. The only reason some (like myself) are focusing on those small things is to pass the time in the absence of score (of course, other than those 15 seconds from the AMA clip).

During his concerts, Williams often make the comment that we can listen to the music as it was intended "without the distraction of the movie." So, you should listen to the score before the movie.

Now that I've sene the credit on the cover, I know I won't like the score.

Not gonna bother with it.

But you'll listen to Cellar Song, right? ;)

Has anybody scanned through the usual sites (the Amazons, Cinema Musika, etc) for samples or tracklists today?

I guess it's now more than likely that Disney isn't permitting any kind of soundtrack preview before the album hits the street date. They're keeping everything they can under tight wraps.

What could still happen in the next few days imho is a preview of a full single track (maybe Rey's Theme or the new Cantina Band piece) through one of their official channels.

During his concerts, Williams often make the comment that we can listen to the music as it was intended "without the distraction of the movie." So, you should listen to the score before the movie.

It's also just much less disappointing to go into the film knowing what is and isn't on the album. Then you don't have the pain of hearing a highlight and later finding it unreleased.

Howard Shore for episode 8 confirmed!

That could actually work really well, especially with the recent comments from Kasdan and/or Ford about 8's "weirdness". John Williams is still my #1 choice of course but I'd definitely take Shore over somebody like Giacchinio.

I wonder if Disney will officially announce the track list before the 18th? Or will they not even send the digital files to the online stores until that day, and not let anyone know the track list ahead of time?

I think they will do just that, so the traclist does not reveal any detail before the film opens. That's why they are releasing it the same day of the movie, or so I understood.

yes I know but traditionally every soundtrack in the world has its tracklist announced via a press released a week to a month or more ahead of time.

And also, generally promotional copies are sent out for review before the street date also.

Seems like Disney is bucking all norms for this score, so far.

And for the film itself too. They have avoided any possibility of an early screening for award and prize purposes.

It seems they don't really care if the world spins backwards, they will have it their way.

last minute tweaks to replace most of JW's music by "songs inspired by the movie"

And scientific research still going on to create 4 levels of Emboss

I actually am really glad they're being so restrained with a film of this size. I lack the willpower to avoid such things as reading track titles or listening to samples even though I'd prefer not to until post-release. They're giving me no choice but to have said willpower. :P

Good point. I know if they release samples I would listen to them 5 times before even realising what is going on. Only a few days more and we will know the real deal.

I actually am really glad they're being so restrained with a film of this size. I lack the willpower to avoid such things as reading track titles or listening to samples even though I'd prefer not to until post-release. They're giving me no choice but to have said willpower. :P

Yeah, I'm the same way. It's been a frustrating wait, but 2 weeks out and I'm ready to hear the score for the first time in the film.

Even if samples are released, I may only click on the main title just to confirm that it's really happening ;)

The only track I'd listen to is "Main Title And Whatever Scene" (because it won't be the cue for the film's opening scene anyway, knowing past OSTs) but even then I have reservations. I'm curious to hear the first new, Williams sanctioned, official recording of Main Title in 16 years, for the first time in the cinema.

... and point out all the flaws from those L.A. musicians to my friends.