The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

Crazy that this album has been in the top 4 iTunes albums (US) since release. Should make a pretty high Billboard charts debut. Anyone know what his record is?

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Just got my CD today! Yay! Yes there are 20 pages of pictures and 2 pages J.J.'s gush note of the century,  track list on one page and a page of credits.

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, it was almost cringe-worthy! LOL

When I read it I did it with JJ's voice in my head.

Just to confirm: the jewelcase version (bought from amazon UK) has the booklet with 24 pages. (I don't think there is a booklet with only 16 pages?)

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Finally found the CD in stores!

Lavish picture booklet and beautiful embossing!

21 freaking euros and they even credit the music to "various" on the sticker! :lol:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You can still get the jewel case version for £9.99 on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014V6LQ2E/

I don't get the appeal of paying EUR 20,99 for a digipak instead?

I didnt buy the CD for the digipack. I bought it because I want to own the score on CD.

If the store had a jewel cased version I would have gone for it, but it didn't.

The design btw, is really ugly. I dislike the front cover and the embossing does it no favors at all. Makes it look even more cheesy and fanmade.

The booklet is disappointing as well. Not much info. No tracktimes and the font they used is shockingly bland (seriously, is it Arial???)

Btw, this is the only CD i have bought in 2015 that doesn't have a Neil S. Bulk credit in it

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Btw, this is the only CD i have bought in 2015 that doesn't have a Neil S. Bulk credit in it

You didn't buy JUDGE DREDD?????

Star Wars soundtrack sold 94,000 last week. And classical sales?

The top 25 classical albums put together sold just under 9,000 copies in the US, the world’s largest market, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

That’s the state of the record business, end of 2015.

http://slippedisc.com/2015/12/star-wars-soundtrack-sold-94000-last-week-and-classical-sales/

Ouch, the comments!

How dare one call one the Mozart of ones time. One is gravely mistaken. This Star Wars nonsense cannot match the majesty and absolute personification of perfection that Mozart is. Let the simple-minded drones listen to their empty fanfares and their dingle this and dangle that. What utter space drivel. We more cultured individuals shall bask in the reverie that is the classics. Good day sir......................................

......................I SAID GOOD DAY!!

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

I haven't researched sales numbers but is 94,000 a lot, relatively? How does this compare to sales of Pop music?

TFA debuted this week at #5 on the Billboard album charts! That's insanely good for a film soundtrack, especially an orchestral one! Not sure how it compares with other big event soundtracks though...?

13 hours ago, RPurton said:

I haven't researched sales numbers but is 94,000 a lot, relatively? How does this compare to sales of Pop music?

Does that number include digital copies?

• 2 weeks later...

All right ;)

Ladies and gentlemans

After many (i think thousands) times of repeating to myself : Don't buy it, don't buy it 

I finally gave up and I bought it

But I have a deal of my life

Here in Poland the matters with selling music and movies is very hard.

There are in recent times very little people who actually buy movies and music physically.

Even if we count the fact that many years ago (it was somewhere 2000s) when polish movie and music distributors went to a crazy idea to make polish edition of a foreign music album on CDs and foreign movie edition on dvds.

What it really means. That the disc is pressed in Poland on worse materials rather in country of origin. The booklet is like toilet paper and of course all the pages are gone in favour of just back and front of the cover (so You have two pages , sometimes four) The quality of print is very bad -washout colours, etc.

So for example. The polish edition of The Force Awakens cost here 40 (polish national money which is złoty - described as PLN. For all of You I will translate our national money as golden - because it's the best translation of this word)

So if the polish edition cost here 39,99 PLN (zł) golden, so it will be with today's exchange rates :

in US dollars : 9,9575 $

in Euro : 9,1697

And this is the edition with our polish cover (I attach the picture below so You can have fun how we translate Star Wars :D)

And this polish edition is counterpart of the standard jewel case edition in Yours country.

Now the real Star Wars (with English title and properly printed booklet with all the pages) which You called jewel case cost here in Poland (now I see a little drop in price but the real, official  price) is 64,99 zł (PLN) golden

US Dollars 16,1825 $

Euro 14,9087

After the discount the price is now 59,99 zł (PLN) golden

US Dollars 14,9375 $

Euro 13,7617

And I have bought this standard English edition for a bargain price (still new)

I have paid 25 zł (PLN, golden) for item and 9 zł (PLN, golden) for shipment. Which all is 34 zł (PLN, golden)

34 zł (PLN , golden) is

US dollars: 8,4626 $ and if we only take into account the price of CD it is 6,2225 $!

Euro: 7,7996 (without shipment the price of only CD is 5,7375!)

I think it all is / was the real bargain.

After I recently bought two Back to the future scores from Intrada it is nothing. But I'm happy with all discs.

gwiezdne-wojny-przebudzenie-mocy-pl.jpg

My JEWEL CASE version arrived from Amazon UK today!  Well, it might have arrived a while back, but I just realized it was in the IT Dept mailbox today (we rarely check it).

SO NICE to have this great score in a proper case and not the stupid US digipak!  I hate digipaks!

It's really lame that the back cover is just a starfield with no track list.  I hate that!

On 12/31/2015 at 0:24 AM, Stefancos said:

It's peanuts compared to Titanic, which sold 25 million. ?

Aided and abetted by Celine Dion, which of course, sent the Album into the stratosphere.

However, jw, did his thing, with no such help.

25 million units for Titanic?

Really?

Better look it up again.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Honest to goodness heard someone whistling Rey's theme today and I'm pretty sure that's made entire my week. I so rarely hear public whistling anymore and for it to be a recent Williams piece... brought tears to me eyes. 

Where?  Decent chance it was me.

On 11/01/2016 at 4:50 AM, Jay said:

My JEWEL CASE version arrived from Amazon UK today!  Well, it might have arrived a while back, but I just realized it was in the IT Dept mailbox today (we rarely check it).

SO NICE to have this great score in a proper case and not the stupid US digipak!  I hate digipaks!

It's really lame that the back cover is just a starfield with no track list.  I hate that!

I saw the digipak version at JB Hi-Fi.

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Honest to goodness heard someone whistling Rey's theme today and I'm pretty sure that's made entire my week. I so rarely hear public whistling anymore and for it to be a recent Williams piece... brought tears to me eyes. 

The guy was probably just whistling some Bowie tune, and you, being the JW fanboy that you are, thought it was Rey's theme!

2 hours ago, publicist said:

There's one passage (the concert version at 01:20 and at some, too few, other spots) that fluently soars the way these kind of tunes are supposed to. 

End of "Maz's Counsel" and beginning of "Farewell and the Trip," yeah. Don't think it plays into the film elsewhere, but it really sings. 

We'll have to wait for the sequels for the big in-movie statements. The general movie going public didn't get to hear the soaring statement of Anakin's theme either, which was a crime at the time, but I'm not concerned that Disney won't be keen to hold onto Rey's theme and go with it moving forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I remember reading some discussion that the HD release (HDTracks etc) was "faked," upsampled from CD-quality files. However, I haven't been able to track this thread down on JWFan or on the entire internet. Can anyone relink to that discussion?

Jason, would it be okay for me to share a link to an FFShrine discussion on the Force Awakens HD controversy? There are no direct links to illegal content in the thread I would be linking to.

Alright. Thanks for your prompt reply.

12 hours ago, Henry Buck said:

Hey guys, I remember reading some discussion that the HD release (HDTracks etc) was "faked," upsampled from CD-quality files. However, I haven't been able to track this thread down on JWFan or on the entire internet. Can anyone relink to that discussion?

The short version is that some parts of the album are legit high-res and others aren't. It's a bizarre situation, especially because no one's quite sure how or why the album ended up getting released this way. The biggest problem is that artifacts were introduced into the not-high-res parts as a result of upconversion.

Bottom line: The CD and 16-bit/44.1kHz downloads are supposedly superior to every other release.

13 hours ago, amh1219 said:

Bottom line: The CD and 16-bit/44.1kHz downloads are supposedly superior to every other release.

The CD is always the best option... unless you suffer from mental illness. :P

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The CD is always the best option... unless you suffer from mental illness. :P

Except that they sometimes use better masters for digital releases than for CDs (better dynamic range, less brickwalling, etc).

Actually, I find your wording kind of funny, because to me, the CD only mentality is what's insane. I mean, I get wanting a collection that matches and looks nice, but I'm not going to miss out on music I love just because the studios failed to license a physical product. 

Also, CDs take up way too much space in my house.

I'm not reluctant to digital download, it's sometimes the only way to get some rare music. But I will pay for FLAC or 320 mp3, never for those HD downloads. 

The CD standard is enough for my brain and ears.

This upscalling thing on HD tracks is a real scandal.