The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

I pre-ordered the standard OST only and won't be arsed about any other editions unless they actually contain more music.

Sadly I think the days I think of having a 2 disc release for anything new John Williams puts out is gone.

Did that day ever come to begin with?

Dude!

Sadly I think the days I think of having a 2 disc release for anything new John Williams puts out is gone.

The days? What days? When did that ever happen?

The 1996 and 2002 ET releases were also put out by the same label that put out the OST.

Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, Jaws, Raiders, CE3K, and Superman are likewise on major labels and not our specialty label guys, but were all tinkered by JW I think.

Or just walk into a store and buy it the morning it comes out. There's that as well.

The poster I was replying to mentioned he lives in the US. The Deluxe Edition doesn't appear to be releasing in the US, its a foreign only thing.

Thanks that's what I needed to know. I guess I'll just have to buy it from Amazon.

Actually, I take that back - the Deluxe Edition IS releasing in the US, but ONLY in TARGET stores:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25617&page=19#entry1188976

I can't believe I never realized before that's why the Deluxe Edition is listed as an Import on Amazon US!

In the US, you can only buy the DE in Target stores (where it comes with a unique slipcover and 2 lithographs not available anywhere else). If you want the international Deluxe Edition, you'd have to import it online.

I wonder what the pre-order sales are like? Hopefully quite strong for a Williams score. There's lots of goodwill towards the music across most forums; discussion about the new movie almost always eventually references the huge anticipation for new music from JW.

That said, he hasn't had a bona fide hit soundtrack release probably since TPM or Potter 1.

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a release like the original trilogy, where you get most of the music from the film in a two disc set. i know all record label are different but i am holding out that slight hope that we do get a two disc release but probably won't happen though. It took Williams 20 years to release an expanded score for Hook and Home Alone. Here's to hoping Lol. We shall see.

It took 20 years to get those 2-disc near-complete Star Wars scores too. :) We still don't have great expansions of the prequel scores, 10-16 years old at this point. We'll get expansions someday, but after the glut of 2-disc Hobbit scores, I'm ready to be excited about an actual condensed album program (and an expansion to follow),

I could care less about a 2-disc version if there isn't even enough good music to fill 1 disc. You know, like KOTCS. So much unnecessary filler music. But I guess that's the worst case scenario.

There were more than enough highlights in KOTCS for a great OST. Instead, Williams decided to subject us to such mind-numbingly dull underscore as Orellana's Cradle, Grave Robbers, Oxley's Dilemma and Secret Doors & Scorpions. Switch those out for Jungle Chase (Complete), Escaping The Warehouse, Remembering Henry and Mushroom Cloud and it's a far more interesting presentation.

I actually don't mind the source music there, it's reasonably catchy. Probably about the only new music in that score I can replay in my head without needing to revisit the score.

If nothing else it's a damn sight more colourful than the uninspired underscore (to go with the equally uninspired backstory, I guess).

The source music should have stayed in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, where it was done first and better.

It was an homage!

Nonsense! Blatant plagiarism, I daresay!

How dare you! Williams' honour is at stake here! I challenge thee to a duel! Pistols at dawn! Meet me in the Helsinki airfield five days from hence so we can settle this slight upon the Maestro's good name!

Alternatively we can also have an archery tournament, a paintball battle or a fencing match to the first wound.

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a release like the original trilogy, where you get most of the music from the film in a two disc set. i know all record label are different but i am holding out that slight hope that we do get a two disc release but probably won't happen though. It took Williams 20 years to release an expanded score for Hook and Home Alone. Here's to hoping Lol. We shall see.

It took 20 years to get those 2-disc near-complete Star Wars scores too. :)

This. That's what Hook1991 doesn't seem to realize.

I do realize that lol. I was just hoping that we would have a slight chance to possibly have a two disc edition for the force awakens soundtrack since it was coming from a different record label and since it was coming from the Disney music Emporium. I know it's probably up to John Williams how much gets released but it would be nice to have a two-disc edition but probably will not happen

We also should consider that those two examples, Hook and Home Alone were expansions made possible by the effort of specialty labels, with Williams' approval, of course, but not his own intention to do this in the first place.

It has been discussed in the forum Williams' preference for preparing OST programs for better listening experience, and considering that chronological and complete scores could not stand for themselves without the picture.

Anyways, his support for recent La-La Land editions brings a spark of hope to me.

We also should consider that those two examples, Hook and Home Alone were expansions made possible by the effort of specialty labels, with Williams' approval, of course, but not his own intention to do this in the first place.

It has been discussed in the forum Williams' preference for preparing OST programs for better listening experience, and considering that chronological and complete scores could not stand for themselves without the picture.

Anyways, his support for recent La-La Land editions brings a spark of hope to me.

Completely agree.

I guess we'll have to get accustomed to "exclusive (insert name) tracks" with additional music, "Expanded release", "More music from...", Deluxe collector triple-embossed packaging, and so on.

I think Disney will release more music down the road, they just want to charge us twice for it.

This is my thinking as well. At this point, I'm just thankful there doesn't seem to be another "exclusive track" release ala Attack Of The Clones Conveyor Belt nonsense. It took me years to track down a proper copy.

Really? I think I just walked into a Target the day it came out to get it

It wasn't that Target exclusive. Our regular version in every store had that bonus track.

Those strange "exclusive" deals are a bit unknown here, luckily.

Although it would have been great if US had had 15 different exclusives with each having a separate different exclusive bonus track. This is the type of marketing the big labels haven't obviously figured out yet. ;)

Definitely!

Luckily the video games eventually did just that

Though we still don't have a recording of the original finale...

Really? I think I just walked into a Target the day it came out to get it

For whatever reason, the Target versions had a sticker on the front saying something about the exclusive bonus track. When I went to Target, none of the albums had it for whatever reason. It wasn't until about 2010 that I was rummaging through a used music bin and found the album with the sticker for about $4.

Definitely!

Luckily the video games eventually did just that

Though we still don't have a recording of the original finale...

I await the day Sony loses the license on this music!

What do people actually expect to happen when Sony loses the licenses, I am curious?

The almighty Disney will seize them and starts producing us the complete scores with Mike Matessino at the helm!

What do people actually expect to happen when Sony loses the licenses, I am curious?

The almighty Disney will seize them and starts producing us the complete scores with Mike Matessino at the helm!

Please be true! PLEASE BE TRUE!

Sarcasm aside, does anyone really expect that to happen? I think it's more likely Disney will just keep on milking money without releasing anything new the way Sony has for many years. :(