The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

I'd really like to see the cover of "The Art of The Force Awakens" as a CD cover.

I quickly threw this together, hope you like it.

(click for full size)

YYnWEwXl.jpg

:worship: Awesome! I think I'll take it to the nearest photo-printer once the album is released.

Wait, that's not really a leaked track from the score?!?

Oh yeah I forgot! It is.

Pope sounds pretty worried from what I gather.

Wow, indeed. Not only is the "vocabulary" vulgar, the musical and dramatic grammar is so, so clumsy and base. It raises the question: without JW, what, indeed, would STAR WARS be? ( though at 2:02 the music returned to a universe that I did recognize)! I had no idea that this is what has been going on with this film. I wonder if John knows? What is Disney thinking?

I think we should get at least some preview clips soon, otherwise we'll end up endlessly fighting about Conrad Pope and William Ross again. It would be much better to bicker about 30 seconds of JW music than people talking about the music.

I guarantee I'll have something to complain about.

The OST will probably be too long and contains too much music you do not like.

Given the earlier release date, I do think it would be cool if some of our more European members could make a list of non-spoiler "oddities" about the score to look out for. Tracked in music from earlier in the film, earlier films, or worst case-scenario, completely different films (unlikely given that J.J Abrams isn't a Ridley Scott type) and where it seems apparent that new arrangements of old themes replaced more original material (ie. the Imperial March at the end of AOTC).

Don't worry, he'll remove all the "boring" new renditions of old themes, but keep in the note for note reprisals.

On the whole Williams seems very prone to underplay his old (and popular and iconic) themes on the newer SW soundtrack albums as if he is embarrased he has to use old music instead of new. As a consequence those new versions of old beloved themes get axed off the album and JW highlights the new material as much as possible. RotS was a case of bidding a (temporary) farewell to the Star Wars sage so there JW seemed happy to give use the Throne Room music as a sort of hexalogy finishing wave of goodbye, ending on a familiar note so to speak.

Then there are those strange note-for-note pieces like the Duel inserted without much consideration beyond "George's mandate", which felt clunky in RotS because they wanted to force the "it rhymes" notion Lucas had for the films.

I long for another shoehorned 'The Duel' type of cue taking me out of the movie.

Oh god now this is where the real concern ought to be.

Rebel fanfare from Imperial Assault on repeat for the first 20 minutes of the film and then Force theme from the Binary Sunset for the rest of the picture.

Having "Anakin vs Obi-Wan" interrupted by that reprise of ESB material felt awful. Why couldn't he have composed something new?

He was asked to put that in there and, quite frankly, continues to grate on me every time I listen to the album. A *lot* of people like it though; some people like the fact that the Imperial March theme is "completed".

I get why it was done but I can't understand why he'd put it on the OST in favor of other, completely original stuff he could have put on

~~~

The OST is now listed on both iTunes and Amazon MP3:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1063517675

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WQB5SY

The iTunes listed says its 23 tracks, but lists no names or times.

I get why it was done but I can't understand why he'd put it on the OST in favor of other, completely original stuff he could have put on

Because if he didn't put it on there, people would complain about wanting it, just like the first half of KOTCS Jungle Chase!

I am still optimistic. I think the prequels were subject to meddling by Lucas and shitty, disrespectful editing by Burtt. He wrote really amazing stuff for Phantom Menace.

Well anyways, since the iTunes listing also has 23 tracks, to me this means:

1. The tracklist that was briefly up on Amazon was real, and they weren't supposed to put it up, so they were asked to take it down. Disney has sent the OST to Apple, and they were instructed to not list the track names or times until the 18th.

2. The tracklist was fake, and someone at Apple chose to list it as 23 tracks because he saw that tracklist, just so the entry wouldn't be blank like Amazon's.

1. The tracklist that was briefly up on Amazon was real, and they weren't supposed to put it up, so they were asked to take it down. Disney has sent the OST to Apple, and they were instructed to not list the track names or times until the 18th.

2. The tracklist was fake, and someone at Apple chose to list it as 23 tracks because he saw that tracklist, just so the entry wouldn't be blank like Amazon's.

In any case, it looks like a long CD. E.T. and Elliot... Drax, I feel for you guys. ;)

Karol

In any case, it looks like a long CD. E.T. and Elliot... Drax, I feel for you guys. ;)

Karol

What an awful burden it must be to have MORE Star Wars music.