The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Not Mr. Big

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the Episode 8 OST cover will be Kylo Ren's helmet...

That'd actually be really cool!!  And 9 could be the Skywalker saber, or Rey's if she builds her own.

3 minutes ago, rpvee said:

I'm surprised at the lack of conversation about the vinyl release.  Anyway, now it's out on cassette. lol

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/ca/en/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=39421706&category=A-VINYL-NEW

Is there something significant to talk about the vinyl release apart from the fact it is vinyl? The music is the same, no?

And now casette is coming back! Madness! Madness I tell you!

Aw come on, LPs are nice but cassettes? Everyone knew they were shitty even back in the 90's. I sometimes like listening to my old cassettes for nostalgia, but this is ridiculous.

Yeah but that sound from a cassette after you've listened to it 50 times! MP3s just don't replicate that worn sound!

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Yeah but that sound from a cassette after you've listened to it 50 times! MP3s just don't replicate that worn sound!

After 50 times? It's like playing russian roulette. How many cassettes was eaten by my superb ghetto blaster... heartache.

I tried to "save" my original cassettes  by only using copies or  making JW compilations from a double tape deck that wold barely last a few weeks.

The tapes would always get damaged , and I was kind of a perfectionist freak and would re-record them over and over

Minidisk was the first great breakthrough in audio for me

7 minutes ago, king mark said:

I miss the tape unraveling from the cassette and having to wind it back in manually, creating sections of stretched and bent tape that made it sound so great afterwards

Hans Zimmer still works that way.

• 2 weeks later...

The statement of Kylo Ren's theme in Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle is so much superior and dramatic on the FYC than the OST, to the point it's a highlight of the score on the FYC and just a random noticeable passage on the OST. The same can be said about the ending of The Abduction,where the FYC has these cool trombones and the OST Rey's theme sounds a lot more plain

Why does Williams always choose the shit takes for the OST?

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That track does sound more like an alternate on the OST. Maybe they re-recorded in the late sessions?

For Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle, it's an insert, as far as I can tell. The Abduction is just an alternate take, it seems.

I guess in both cases Abrams wanted more ooomph from the cues and JW obliged. They probably locked the OST before these changes that is all.

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

The brass in this score is so good. I love the workout JW gives the brass section throughout the whole score. And the way they're mic'd really makes them pop. So many months later, I'm still appreciating this score like it's new.

I'm also finding its one of the best recordings (of this kind of music) in the past 10 years. I was worried initially that the LSO wasn't doing it, but overall the score, the recording and the performance has surpassed my expectations. 

7 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

What was the track listing before?

I would assume there wasn't one before.

Yes, cassette:

On 6/29/2016 at 3:19 AM, rpvee said:

I'm surprised at the lack of conversation about the vinyl release.  Anyway, now it's out on cassette. lol

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/ca/en/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=39421706&category=A-VINYL-NEW

• 4 months later...