Not Mr. Big

The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think this is simply in reference that Scoring Sessions will be able to film the recording sessions for Desplat's Rogue One score later this year.

That would seem more logical, considering the source.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think this is simply in reference that Scoring Sessions will be able to film the recording sessions for Desplat's Rogue One score later this year.

Actually, this is almost certainly in reference to getting pictures of Williams scoring TFA. Scoring Sessions.com has mentioned multiple times on their site in the past couple months that they were trying to get TFA scoring photos, including this from January 12 regarding the Force Awakens (from http://scoringsessions.com/2016/01/12/january-2016-update/):

We’re still working with Lucasfilm and Disney to try to get access to the photos that were taken, the issue is finding out exactly which photos are considered “approved”.  Rest assured that we are not giving up on this, and as soon as we have more than the three photos we’ve seen released, we’ll try to get a gallery up.

Seems like we'll soon be getting an inside look at Williams scoring TFA! 

On 18/02/2016 at 9:48 AM, Incanus said:

The 11th of February KUSC interview with Jim Svejda where JW states there is quite a lot of alternate, discarded or rewritten stuff from TFA and he hints that might be released. Very much along the same lines as Abrams said in one of those interviews last year.

Paraphrasing is no good!

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

Paraphrasing is no good!

I don't have time to write transcripts of the interview! You should listen to it yourself!

Here's what he says:

... so as the changes came we could make them, so there have been a lot of cues that are not on the CD... maybe we'll put together some Jim Sjveda version... the unused cues. (laughs)

It sounded a rather humorous comment to me and not really a serious suggestion that anything was going to happen.

34 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It sounded a rather humorous comment to me and not really a serious suggestion that anything was going to happen.

That is what JW fan hears as "the expanded score is coming!". ;)

We can always hope though.

And as long as Jim Svejda shares his version with us I have no problem. :P

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, but the difference is that what you want is easily obtainable.

Too difficult to make playslists from the LOOOOOOONNGGGGG albums. The composers should produce 30 minute albums to cater to the people who want only the most hummable passages from film scores.

17 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Everyone wants the complete score, I want a shorter OST!

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, but the difference is that what you want is easily obtainable.

Ritalin for his ADD? 

This is probably embarrasingly late for me to mention, but I just realised that Kylo Ren's motif is derived from the flutes in the Imperial March. But I'm guessing this has been obvious to you all since the OST release, right? :blush: (I did a search on the forum but I couldn't find anything on this)

Compare Kylo Ren's falling motif (4:20 on Jakku Attack) to the flutes in the Imperial March (at precisely 0:48, and later on in the strings)

While I was recently listening to TFA OST I remembered what Williams was saying about Kylo Ren's motif being an extension of Darth Vader's theme, and it suddenly clicked.

6 hours ago, loert423 said:

Compare Kylo Ren's falling motif (4:20 on Jakku Attack) to the flutes in the Imperial March (at precisely 0:48, and later on in the strings)

While I was recently listening to TFA OST I remembered what Williams was saying about Kylo Ren's motif being an extension of Darth Vader's theme, and it suddenly clicked.

I've been trying to hear the similarity you're talking about, but I still don't quite hear it. 

When I have time tomorrow I'll try to notate and play it, to make it clearer...

Basically, the Ren falling motif is a very slow version of the beginning of the third flute phrase (the one that stretches two bars). The pitches are not exactly the same, but the melodic contour definitely is.

On 2/29/2016 at 9:21 AM, Bowie said:

Excellent observations!! I also think the falling semitone and minor third structure has roots in Anakin's Theme itself (especially the B-part of the theme where it has the sequence of three falling lines followed by Vader's motif).

I'm not musically educated in the slightestest but I do hear a lot of Johnny "calling back" to a couple of prequel moments, more particularly Kylo Ren's theme being similar to the second half of "Anakin's Dark Deeds".

(Sorry if I'm late on this, I haven't been on the board in almost three months!)

I also think that kylo ren passage has roots in ROTS. I heard it the 1st time I listened. it's 'anakin's dark deeds', or 'It cant be' final fanfare or the 'battle of the heroes' "fanfary" opening.

Now if the ROTS cues also have roots in the same passage of the imperial march it could be completely intentional.

People have talked before about the musical similarities between Anakin's Dark Deeds and Kylo Ren's theme. I don't think the music is intended to be thematically linked. I think it's just JW writing Star Wars bad guy/dark side music. Both share a kind of declarative feeling, very loud, repetitive, forceful, and maybe a bit tragic in terms of association with the two characters. 

It's intentional. That williams wanted some thematical connection with it, that is debatable.

It's one of the several small previous-SW-scores-passage snippets williams threw in the score to create nostalgia and 'this sounds like star wars' feelings in the audience

As the 'talk of podracing' quote is.

Probably Williams just wanted to create similar music to anakin's fall for kylo ren, not a straight quote. It's in the orchestration, fast trumpent fanfares (tripplets?)

Main title an the attack on jakku 4:20-4:34

Anakin vs Obi-wan 0:03-0:22 (thet trumpet fanfare is used several times in the whole piece and the main melody is played by the same instruments as kylo's theme)
Battle of the heroes 0:00-0:27 The main melody of battle of the heroes is played by the trumpets makin it similar to the fanfares in Anakin vs obi wan and attack on jakku.

It's more a 'mood' rather than note by note.

On February 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM, loert423 said:

Just for the record here's a more detailed analysis of what I was talking about (everything has been transposed to D minor for easier comparison):

Thank you very much for that analysis. I'm starting to hear the similarity now. I'm still not entirely sure whether it was intentional by Williams to have that connection, but I'd like to believe that it was, because if it was that is yet another incredibly genius thematic link from Williams. 

Yeah, there have been a smattering of posts and debates since December about the similarity between Kylo's "tragic" material and the repeating figures in "Anakin's Dark Deeds", including just above in this thread. 

Whether or not it was an intentional reference by Williams is probably not something that will ever be answered....some people are utterly convinced it was, others wave it off as coincidence and merely Williams' instincts taking him to a similar expression of darkness and tragedy. I got really excited when I first heard it and definitely thought it was intentional, but now I kinda side it with it probably being a lucky accident. But I mean, who knows. I don't think it really matters either way, the similarity's there and it's obviously very apt. I don't agree 100% with every aspect of that guy's analysis but I do think it's a great connection and I always think of it now.