"Funeral Song" - Igor Stravinsky work found after 100 years!

filmmusic

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/06/igor-stravinsky-lost-work-emerges-after-100-years

An important early orchestral work by one of the greatest composers of the 20th century, thought for more than 100 years to have been irretrievably lost, has turned up at last in a pile of old manuscripts in a back room of the St Petersberg Conservatoire.

Igor Stravinsky composed his Pogrebal’naya Pesnya (Funeral Song) in memory of his teacher, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, shortly after Rimsky’s death in June 1908. The 12-minute work was performed only once, in a Russian symphony concert conducted by Felix Blumenfeld in the Conservatoire in January 1909, but was always thought to have been destroyed in the 1917 revolutions or the civil war that followed.

Stravinsky recalled it as one of his best early works (...)

Oh My God, I hope they record it soon!

I love Stravinsky and when someone thinks that film music owes very much to his work, this is really important!

One wonders what other manuscripts are among that pile, how many other piles there are to be found there, and where else this might be the case ...

I long for the age of entirely digitized libraries. Imagine the BYU collection accessible online!

Always wonderful when something like this is unearthed.

Didn't Andre Rieu do some nice arrangements of Stravinsky, Alex?

:lol:

Andre Rieu: Stravinky's "Light on Spring".

Stuff like this always leaves the door of hope open for other things. Check your attics people!

Maybe John Williams himself has forgotten a couple of compositions in his attic too? :lol:

Well, there's his first and only symphony that nobody has heard so far.

• 1 year later...