Sony Classical to release Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection (January 8, 2016)

TownerFan

As I understood, 192kHz/24bit versions will the LP programs. Not sure if they will use the LP masters or if they'll use the 1997 SE masters and edit it to create the LP programs.

"Audio was transferred from the original LP masters using the highest resolution (up to 192kHz/24bit)"

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=7985

I thought so. Can you imagine Sony having the trouble of actually work something "new" out of their Star Wars catalog? But that's for the best, in this case.

Like I said, at best, that'll be my ONLY buy if the completist spirit still lives in me by January...

Technically they have the rights to release unreleased prequel music for at least another 2 years, but Lucasfilm would just refuse their request to do so.

They'll only let Disney achieve that now.

But Sony CANT get anything new out of their catalog. They don't have the rights too.

Well they obviously did something with the OT material they were given for distribution right? I didn't buy Sony's editions, but didn't they have some kind of crappy Sony digital processing? That tells me that at least they have some options.

So what you're saying is, they don't have access, or rights to, the original masters, merely the versions that were on the RCA release?

Also, do you know for sure Sony doesn't have the rights or access to any more of the PT material beyond what's on TPM UE? I'm not doubting you, but clearly at some point for the first film at least they felt it worthwhile to release more than what was on the OS and had the ability to do.

Sony have the rights to release whatever they want -- but only with the approval of Lucasfilm AND Williams' people.

Neither will occur now with Disney's ownership, so they'll just release the same material with new packaging over and over again instead.

Sony have the rights to release whatever they want -- but only with the approval of Lucasfilm AND Williams' people.

Neither will occur now with Disney's ownership, so they'll just release the same material with new packaging over and over again instead.

Thank you!

Good point. That's the next logical step for Sony to give us complete prequel scores.

I mean, they really didn't have much of a chance to do them before Disney came along and ruined everything.

Do you think they'd re-form LucasArts and make a proper KOTOR 3?

Yeah sure! But only after The Force Unleashed 3, Battlefront 4 (new maps), Disney Infinity's Star Wars 2, Disney's Dogs: Star Wars edition (really looking forward to that one), and Star Wars Candy Crush.

Can't wait to hear John Williams' score for it!

• 3 weeks later...

...on second thoughts, LucasArts might be better off remaining disbanded.

LucasArts didn't make Kinect Star Wars. Blame Terminal Reality, the guys behind the Ghostbusters game. However, you can blame them for never allowing or making sequels that needed to be made, such as Battlefront III, Force Unleashed III, KOTOR III etc.

I mean, have you guys seen the original Battlefront III? Outdated though it is now, it was gorgeous at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have there been comments on this already?

Disc 11:

Interviews with Harrison Ford and John Williams

Well that was the deal breaker for me. I would have bought this if it was George Lucas and Ahmed Best (the actor who portrayed Jar Jar Binks) being interviewed about the music. I am dying to hear what Best says about his own theme.

Why is The Force Awakens included in this?!

Maybe you got confused with the cover for the original Star Wars LP.

If this is the case, then I guess the executives at Disney accomplished what they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

To be released on January 8, here's a thread to discuss The Ultimate Digital Collection of Star Wars music, that will feature a supposedly remastered version of Episodes IV-V-VI original LP programs.

OST amateurs, here it goes!

1. Star Wars Main Title / The Arrival at Naboo (02:56)
2. Duel of the Fates (04:15)
3. Anakin's Theme (03:09)
4. Jar Jar's Introduction / The Swim to Otoh Gunga (05:08)
5. The Sith Spacecraft / The Droid Battle (02:38)
6. The Trip to the Naboo Temple / The Audience With Boss Nass (04:08)
7. The Arrival at Tatooine / The Flag Parade (04:05)
8. He Is the Chosen One (03:54)
9. Anakin Defeats Sebulba (04:24)
10. Passage Through the Planet Core (04:40)
11. Watto's Deal / Kids at Play (04:58)
12. Panaka and the Queen's Protectors (03:25)
13. Queen Amidala / The Naboo Palace (04:52)
14. The Droid Invasion / The Appearance of Darth Maul (05:15)
15. Qui-Gon's Noble End (03:49)
16. The High Council Meeting / Qui-Gon's Funeral (03:09)
17. Augie's Great Municipal Band / End Credits (09:39)
18. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant (03:47)
19. Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones) (05:34)
20. Zam the Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant (11:08)
21. Yoda and the Younglings (03:56)
22. Departing Coruscant (01:45)
23. Anakin and Padme (03:57)
24. Jango's Escape (03:49)
25. The Meadow Picnic (04:15)
26. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit (03:24)
27. Return to Tatooine (06:57)
28. The Tusken Camp and The Homestead (05:55)
29. Love Pledge and The Arena (08:30)
30. Confrontation With Count Dooku and Finale (10:45)
31. Star Wars and the Revenge of t (07:32)
32. Anakin's Dream (04:47)
33. Battle of the Heroes (03:43)
34. Anakin's Betrayal (04:04)
35. General Grievous (04:08)
36. Palpatine's Teachings (05:26)
37. Grievous and the Droids (03:28)
38. Padme's Ruminations (03:17)
39. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (03:58)
40. Anakin's Dark Deeds (04:06)
41. Enter Lord Vader (04:15)
42. The Immolation Scene (02:42)
43. Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidiou (02:50)
44. The Birth of the Twins and Pad (03:38)
45. A New Hope and End Credits (13:06)
46. Main Title (05:25)
47. Imperial Attack (06:20)
48. Princess Leia's Theme (04:26)
49. The Desert and the Robot Auction (02:56)
50. Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack (03:50)
51. The Little People Work (04:06)
52. Rescue of the Princess (04:50)
53. Inner City (04:17)
54. Cantina Band (02:46)
55. The Land of the Sandpeople (02:53)
56. Mouse Robot and Blasting Off (04:05)
57. The Return Home (02:49)
58. The Walls Converge (04:36)
59. The Princess Appears (04:07)
60. The Last Battle (12:10)
61. The Throne Room and End Title (05:28)
62. Star Wars (Main Theme) (05:46)
63. Yoda's Theme (03:27)
64. The Training Of A Jedi Knight (03:08)
65. The Heroics Of Luke And Han (05:50)
66. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) (03:00)
67. Departure Of Boba Fett (03:08)
68. Han Solo And The Princess (03:28)
69. Hyperspace (04:02)
70. The Battle In The Snow (03:46)
71. The Asteroid Field (04:07)
72. The City In The Clouds (06:25)
73. Rebels At Bay (05:21)
74. Yoda And The Force (04:00)
75. The Duel (04:01)
76. The Magic Tree (03:34)
77. Lando's Palace (03:54)
78. Finale (06:26)
79. Main Title (The Main Story Continues) (05:14)
80. Into the Trap (02:41)
81. Luke and Leia (04:49)
82. Parade of the Ewoks (03:30)
83. Han Solo Returns (At the Court of Jabba the Hutt) (04:13)
84. Lapti Nek (By Jabba's Palace Band) (02:54)
85. The Forest Battle (04:07)
86. Rebel Briefing (02:27)
87. The Emperor (02:46)
88. The Return of the Jedi (05:06)
89. Ewok Celebration and Finale (07:58)

Hello everyone! I'm Henry from Germany. I'm a regular reader of this forum but it's mostly just too much traffic for me to actually write someting... :blink:

But I'd like to give a short review of the SW Ultimate Digital Collection, comparing the sound quality with the other editions and releases.

TPM

To me there's no audible difference in the sound quality compared with the OST release, except the sound level is a tiny bit higher.

AOTC

likewise, but here the sound level seems to be exactly the same. And no "Conveyor Belt".

ROTS

likewise, sound level seems to be exactly the same.

ANH

I can only compare with the Special Edition from 1997 and the Anthology from 1993, I don't know how the original release sounds like. What I can say about the 1993 and 1997 editions is that I really like the crystal clear sound, it's very crisp and harsh. But the UDC sounds really strange. First of all sound level is quite lower. Noise is reduced a bit, so it sounds more smooth, but in a really bad way, I find. Very dull. For example, there are no more rasping side noises in the opening celli and basses in "Imperial Attack" - Well, Ok, that could also be considered as a matter of taste ... I really like those noises, it gives something organic to the recording. But here there are basically vanished, so you can imagine the extend of the "Remastering"....

TESB

Again, I can only compare with the Special Edition from 1997 and the Anthology from 1993. In the UDC there are vinyl cracking noises in all tracks - artificially added???!!!!

ROTJ

No difference whatsoever to the OST 1983 release.

So in the end: very bizarre, I think. Especially the three different approaches to the Old Trilogy Soundtracks.Or maybe I'm really too naive and the leak is not a leak but just a otherwise complied collection....?! :o

Henry Potter, what you just reviewed is a fake put together by someone on the internet. When you heard vinyl cracks and pops that should have tipped you off!

No one has the real new collection yet. Sony hasn't even given us one to review yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Now when almost 20 years has passed, and I have had listened thousands and thousands times to my polish edition of the 1997s RCA editions of the soundtracks to the Trilogy, which I have on compact cassettes (unfortunately they choose the worst type - type I, iron oxide tapes Fe2O3. On many poor and cheap players the audio frequency is below 16 kHz. I have the most expensive and top model from 1998s - Pioneer double cassette deck with many functions and special digital hiss remove process - including the very expensive audio heads. So I have 18 kHz audio from those tapes and dynamic 90 dB. But the tapes are getting old and they're probably worn out after so many times of playback).

Few days ago I have had opened the new compact discs editions from Intrada and Varese to "Back to the future" series. My God! the sound is incredible. I was crying from happiness when I hear it.

Now I'm in the same situation as many of You here - I'm torn apart between decisions

I almost feel like Luke in the Emperor's Throne Room.

The dark side and the Emperor - Sony are trying to seduce me to buy this - CDs/DVD box set.

But then I remind to myself the work of Chris Malone and the analysis of the all editions of star wars soundtracks.

Funny but when I see all those diagrams and Sonograms and read the whole story, I find peace and don't succumb to the Dark Side. Because what I will hear better on Sony's CDs if it is written that Star Wars on 1997s editions don't have frequencies above 17 or 18 kHz because the mastering process was screwed up or the master tapes (all the types of elements) was poor handled and stored in 20th Century Fox vaults. I never forgive them to store the masters for Empire which was founded very deep below ground in basement with poor window or pipes with water and the leak was damaging through couple of years the sacred empire masters.

Now there's only one question in my mind: will the quality of the new audio scan from masters and all the rest elements and restoration process done again by Mike M (or someone right to do this job) in the near future; be better than 1996 and 7s work? Will it be so beautiful like on Back to the Future Intrada's release?

We have passed 38, 35 and 32 years. Jaws masters have had gone 40th anniversary and many of You are saying here about astonishing quality of sound of the new Intrada's CDs release.

I'm ready to fight with myself few years ahead to wait and buy this upcoming gems.

Maybe it is driven by dream and decision, that I will buy the Indiana Jones COMPLETE 2CD's (for I hope at least three first movies) in near future

The Sony's Emperor is screaming to me: "You want this, don't You?" Greed welling "is swelling" up "in you now. Take" this. Use it." Buy it. "... Give in to your" greed. "It is unavoidable. It is your destiny."

But not this time. "I'm too old" and wise "to this something".

With the exception of a high res download of the TESB original 2 LP program, there is nothing noteworthy on this set that hasn't been released many times before.

I'll wait till Mike and Neil get their grubby little claws on this franchise...