Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Remind me, Jerry; what make are your loudspeakers?

I assume that your speakers are spiked? What do they rest on?

Also, is that a Quadraspire rack?

The loudspeakers are Jensen XR-100, 185w RMS, 6 ohms. They're not on spikes, but they're pretty stable. And yep, that's a Quadraspire! Got it for a bargain on eBay recently for $750 (normally retails for about $1,500). I love it too because the seller had the standard version listed, but they sent me the deeper large version instead! Happy surprise.

New Rotel is in. Sounds great! I don't want to push it too hard, there's a pair of 185w loudspeakers drawing power from its 100wpc capacity, but it seems to be handling them well, not to mention the 115w centre and surrounds. But this thing's not bad for a 22 year old unit.

My only beef with the preamp is there's no centre channel control, so I need to fiddle around with that in the source player.

Eventually I'll get a 2-channel power amp to drive those floorstanding loudspeakers. One of those Parasound Halo A23 amps seems reasonably priced. I'll keep an eye out for one. And then the Rotel can power the surrounds.

20180313_183311.jpg

It was warm to the touch, but that's probably just a Rotel characteristic. I heard Parasounds run rather hot. Emotiva's are supposedly pretty cool. I'm just amazed how this two-decade-old+ device performs! Tomorrow night, I'll blast out ID4 - a musical torture weapon for any amp.

On March 11, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Richard said:

Remind me, Jerry; what make are your loudspeakers?

I assume that your speakers are spiked? What do they rest on?

Also, is that a Quadraspire rack?

Hey guys! Is there another Jerry I don't know about. I don't know what y'all are taking about.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

@Margo Channing, were those two SACDs in two-channel, or multichannel?

Ps, Margo Channing? What happened to Laura Palmer? What happened to Jerry?? What happened to Drax???!!!

Tell us. Tell us now!

Yeah they were multi-channel. So good.

Laura Palmer? The heave-ho!

I'm not sure if you'd be impressed with A.I. in 5.1, but both THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, and TIMELINE SACDs are worth investigating.

If you like rock/pop, REM, Depeche Mode and Talking Heads all have great 5.1 mixes of their music. THE OVERLOAD, from REMAIN IN LIGHT is stunning, and hypnotic.

Yep, Titanic in 5.1. Disappointingly, My Heart Will Go On had no surround channel activity.

My current SACD collection includes:

Thriller*

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Dark Side of the Moon

The Phantom of the Opera

Chicago

Yo Yo Ma Plays John Williams

Close Encounters of the Third Kind*

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

Titanic

A Beautiful Mind

Seranada Schizophrana

The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith

Star Trek Nemesis

Timeline

Frances*

*2-channel only

I've got my eyes peeled for The Legend of Zorro. I'm sure that'll thump the floor. I've got the AI DVD-A on my watchlist. And just noting I have the LOTR CR sets, so here's my chance to go back to Titani... I mean Middle Earth.

As one mutha says: "That's a bad outfit!" :lol:

My collection also has Jeff Wayne's WOTW, A LONDON SYMPHONY by Vaughn Williams, SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC complete score, and BROTHERS IN ARMS.

I also have lots and lots of 5.1 DVD-As/Blu Ray audio discs (Queen, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, XTC, Floyd, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, David Bowie, Steely Dan, Chicago, ELP, The Alan Parsons Project, Kraftwerk, The Who, The Beatles, Rush, LOTR CRs, the aforementioned Depeche Mode, REM, and Talking Heads, etc, etc.), plus a whole bunch of 5.1 iso scores. That's enough to be going on with.

Today I listened to E.T and Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1.

E.T. sounds fine but it's disappointing as a multi-channel experience. But overall it brings out the boldness in Williams' score like nothing else you've ever heard. Pink Floyd's album, however, has never sounded so crystal clear, transparent and immersive, as far as I've heard from some of the other stereo masters. The tracks Time and Money are amazing. A real must-have.

10 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Today I listened to E.T and Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1.

E.T. sounds fine but it's disappointing as a multi-channel experience. But overall it brings out the boldness in Williams' score like nothing else you've ever heard. Pink Floyd's album, however, has never sounded so crystal clear, transparent and immersive, as far as I've heard from some of the other stereo masters. The tracks Time and Money are amazing. A real must-have.

The surround channels are only supposed to add ambiance. You won't hear any instruments coming from the rear speakers.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The surround channels are only supposed to add ambiance. You won't hear any instruments coming from the rear speakers.

Tell that to some Telarc releases. You feel like you're in the middle of the orchestra!

11 hours ago, Richard said:

I take it that that's the 2003 release of James Guthrie's mix of DSOTM?

If you like 5.1 Pink Floyd, try the Blu Ray audio of THE DIVISION BELL. I like it, for all the reasons that you like 

DARK SIDE...

You're doing it again, Richard! Putting the worst on the same plane as the best. 

Question, if I want to be able play my digital music collection from a hard drive connected to my home network to my surround set, what are my options? Preferably I would like to completely bypass my PC. Should i look into a network player?

17 hours ago, Richard said:

I take it that that's the 2003 release of James Guthrie's mix of DSOTM?

If you like 5.1 Pink Floyd, try the Blu Ray audio of THE DIVISION BELL. I like it, for all the reasons that you like 

DARK SIDE...

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You're doing it again, Richard! Putting the worst on the same plane as the best. 

I know. How dare I compare THE DIVISION BELL, to that rubbish!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Question, if I want to be able play my digital music collection from a hard drive connected to my home network to my surround set, what are my options? Preferably I would like to completely bypass my PC. Should i look into a network player?

Any Amazon firestick can do that and they were just on sale this week for $25

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Nothing wireless!

Would be a great punch line in the next Rian Johnson Star Wars movie:

- "Use the Force"

- "Nothing wireless!"

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Nothing wireless!

A full sized Amazon Firebox has a usb port in the back, so you can plug your portable hard drive with your music on it directly into that.

Or, it also has an ethernet port, so you can access the from your networked drive through ethernet if you want to do it that way.

A generic Android smart box might be more suitable to you since you can install things directly from the normal google play store and they are kind of "open"; The Amazon Fire box has Amazon's own interface over everything and gives you no access to the play sore.  However, they made it easy enough to "side-load" any android app by going into developer settings.  So its sort of personal preference of either A) having a completely open system that is perhaps a bit clunky and not optimal at times (generic Android box) vs B) Have a really nice, intuitive interface designed for TVs, that you have to "go through hoops" a little bit to install your own apps (Amazon Fire)

I have side-loaded ES Explorer, VLC, and Kodi on Amazon boxes/sticks in the past, its really not hard.

I use PowerAmp on my android phone

I use Plex to play music hosted on my computer through my downstairs living room setup

Okay my preamp does something really cool. When I have it set to a 2-channel input, like when I'm playing a regular CD, the preamp still sends a signal to my subwoofer, offering a 2.1 experience. That's amazing! I had to fiddle with the crossover, but it made the musical experience all the more rewarding. The last 24 hours have been really exciting!

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I will check Plex out.

My boss was just telling me about his new setup: He ordered two Amazon Firesticks when they were $25 last week (one for 2 different different TVs in his house).  On the main one he was able to easily side-load Kodi onto it, and use that to stream movies hosted on his Synology NAS (which is not too different from a networked hard drive since he wasn't using any of the Synology features, he just had it show up as a shared drive to access the files).  Said it was all very easy to set up and use.