Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

They probably sound better on Stereo LPs.

I never really listened Aznavour on vinyl. I discovered him on CD.

I've been using my subwoofer to listen to stereo music since 2001.  I'm surprise you waited so long Jerry

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I've been using my subwoofer to listen to stereo music since 2001.  I'm surprise you waited so long Jerry

For many years, I was just content with two channel stereo, but I recently got the itch to upgrade.

There's a guy on YouTube who runs PS Audio, he reckons the idea of subwoofers is when they're properly integrated into a system, they "shouldn't be heard". Essentially he means they shouldn't draw attention to themselves, and I think through some fiddling I've achieved that in my system.

I was also initially confused about the inputs on my subwoofer. Mine doesn't have an LFE input, instead it has these "Low Level" and "High Level" inputs. I simply connected the preamp subwoofer outout to the sub's Low Level input with an RCA cable, because I couldn't be bothered with more and more speaker wire for the High Level input. And it sounds great.

Yes I've always connected my subwoffer via RCA cable from the pre-out line for the subwoofer on the back of all three AV receivers I've had over the years

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

There's a guy on YouTube who runs PS Audio, he reckons the idea of subwoofers is when they're properly integrated into a system, they "shouldn't be heard". Essentially he means they shouldn't draw attention to themselves, and I think through some fiddling I've achieved that in my system.

Indeed. Whether we're dealing with treble, mid-range or bass, the goal is to achieve a balanced sound. Personally, I can't listen to music where one region suppresses the others. In fact, good speakers don't need help from a subwoofer. When I was a kid, I always listened to music with 'Loudness' on. I really had to unlearn that habit. Today I think 'Loudness' should be forbidden. 

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Bought a second hand DVD/SACD/DVD-A player that outputs to HMDI. 

Good reviews and great price.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/cambridge-audio-dvd99-universal-player/

Hmm. Cambridge Audio. Very nice.

Let us all know how it sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, I saw that video before too. Look, I think if people are satisfied with what they hear, good for them. But it disturbs me when big box companies prioritise their demands to such an extent, the higher end stuff vanishes from stores, rather like what's happened recently with Oppo. I've even noticed lately that my local stores aren't even stocking mid-fi brands like Yamaha anymore. Sure people can have their tinny sound if they want, but it's saturated the market to an extent that even affordable hi-fi has disappeared.

Anyone else remember the 90s and 2000s, when people were ditching the use of their TV speakers to explore better sound with beefy home theatre equipment? Something then happened in the last ten years where people started to become more conscious of space-saving solutions (probably influenced by shows like Hoarders and Better Homes & Gardens), so they became immediately attracted to tiny systems from Bose and soundbars. It's like it all came full circle.

It's all that feng shui crap. Most people wouldn't know good-sounding hi-fi, from a hole in the ground. They have no idea what "open", and "transparent", and "sound-stage" means, let alone "crossover".

As for "standing wave": forget it.

MM or MC has to do with what kind of cartridge you have, Steef. I have a MM cartridge by Audio-Technica on a SME 3009 tonearm (and SME headshell).