Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I bought a new receiver that can pass 4K signals. New TV incoming!

Samsung QLED?

SONY OLED?

The new LG OLEDs for 2018 are pretty interesting, also for gaming. Check it out!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This is mine.

_SAM6646.JPG

Looks pretty decent except for those cheap looking start/reject buttons in the front.

I doubt few people will have the need to play old VHS tapes on their 65" 4K screens. It will look horrible. If you have something precious stored on VHS, transfer it to a USB stick.

Hmm. Well, that actually might be part of the reason why my previous Plasma died on me. I remember that one of the HDMI connectors was smoked.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Yeah, the 2017 models are a bargain right now. I decided that if I get one it must be a 65" model.

Unfortunately that was still over my budget, so I have the 55”. Crazy how a few inches of screen real estate almost doubles the price of a TV. 

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I settled on the 2017 LG OLED C7.

I've had my eye on this one, and almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and bought it given how much the prices have come down.  But I have 60" Panasonic Plasma whose warm cinematic picture I love, and everytime I think about upgrading to 4K I just can't justify it, given that prices will only continue to come down and I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

I'll do it eventually...increased resolution  really doesn't interest me, but HDR definitely does.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Crazy how a few inches of screen real estate almost doubles the price of a TV. 

It's all about the glass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally found a set of these Technics THX home theatre speakers I drooled over when I saw them in an electronics shop in 1999. Back then the set was priced at $3,999. And now the guy is basically giving them away because, as he responded to my message:

"I have had them since new and they have been in the garage in our new house for 3.5 years and used prior to that. I have been advised that "we" will only have small speakers or a sound bar in the new house."

Unbelievable huh? The guy I bought my Jensen speakers from told me the exact same thing. Well if I win this auction, I'll be more than happy to take these off his hands. With 90s THX speakers, these were the creme de la creme of home theatre. I want to fulfill my teenhood dream...

Maybe. What's interesting is the main floor speakers are rated at 250w at 6 ohms, whereas my Jensen speakers, which are larger and heavier, are 185w at 6 ohms. Mine are more efficient at 93db though, but the THX ones are 86db, which means they're a bit less efficient and more power hungry.

10 hours ago, toothless said:

Just upgraded to a 55" LG OLED C8 to go with my Focal Sib & Cub 3. Just in time when my PlanetEarth II 4K BR arrives by mail :D

Wow, the latest OLED from LG. They say it's going to be the best TV of the year. Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Richard said:

The answer is simple: don't have Dolby Atmos, and stick to DTS-X. Who needs Atmos, anyway? Unless you want speakers in your ceiling, Atmos is, at worst, unachievable, and at best, impractical.

Doesn't DTS-X have ceiling height channels too?