Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

it's USB so it bypasses the PC's internal sound card and sound output goes directly  to the Fiio  that does all the audio processing .So 0 interference/background nolse from the PC. And the S/N ratio on this model K3  is extremely good

I've had many internal/external sound cards (soundblasters, other Fiio models)  over the years and this is by far the best one. Actually the internal soundblaster cards I've had are really shit compared to this

• 2 weeks later...

After a few days looking at all sorts of DAC's, soundcards and other types of audio interfaces I decided to order the Topping D10 to use as a USB DAC to connect my media center PC to my amplifier. Up untill now I had been using the PC's HDMI, which was fine, but occasionally cuts out, and for some reason won't pass audio past 48Khz.

topping 1.JPG

Topping 2.JPG

topping 3.JPG

My current setup includes:

Sony STR-DH520 as my main amp.

Versterker.jpg

Pioneer PD-207 as my CD player

CD Speler.jpg

Cambridge Audio DVD99 for my SACD and DVD-A player

SACD.jpg

Sony BDP-S4500 is my Blu-Ray player

Blu-Ray.jpg

Connected to my amp is my old HP G5130NL, running Windows 10 in tablet mode which I use as a mediaserver.

Media Server.jpg

The Topping D10 is what I use to connect that PC to my amp. 

DAC.jpg

For my records I have a Philips F7224 turntable

2019-03-11_14_06_41.jpg

Which is connected to my amp using a NAD PP 2e phono pre-amp.

Voorversterker Platenspeler.jpg

My speakers are as follows. For the fronts two Sony SS-X70ED ones.

Front speakers.jpeg

Centre speaker is a Sony SS-CNX70ED 

745Center.jpeg

The rear channels are covered by a set of Sony SS-MB250H speakers

Rear Speakers.jpg

Also connected is the Avantree Oasis Bluetooth transmitter/receiver.

Bluetooth zender.jpg

Which send an APTX signal straight to my Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT

Koptelefoon.jpg

Looks like you labeled your fronts as rears by mistake in your text

Very nice setup all around though!

I was getting uneven sound from my 12 year old Sony Receiver( left rear channel was about 6 db less loud than the right and I had to adjust the balance in  consequence so I concluded my amp was dying after testing the speakers and cables)

Got a Pioneer VSX 532 5.1 channels because i don't need more channels

Works well.clear sound. The mix balance comes out much better than the Sony in movies, especially the music scores which was a  bit muddy on the Sony

One thing I appreciate is the ARC HDMI .It wasn't clear to me what that feature did but I now appreciate having the sound from all my devices without changing the input on the amp (I plug everything in the TV inputs and use the ARC for the sound). Finally can get rid of my optical cables

so:

Home Theater:

TV: Sony X900F 55 inches (4K HDR)

Amp: Pioneer VSX 532

Front Speakers: KEF Q100

Center and Rear :Energy Veritas Mini

Sub: Yamaha YST 012 (8 inch front firing)

BluRay Player: PS4 Pro

Perfect for a small room

Computer :  Fiio K3 DAC + Grado GS1000i Headphones

Portable:  ipod Nano +Fiio F9 Pro earphones

I use the home theater for movies,TV and gaming and my computer to listen to music. I never listen to music with the home theater speakers

Also part of my audio set up, because i use it to control my media center.

My trusty old Samsung LCD, still as solid as a rock since 2007.

I use MusicBee on Windows 10 in tabletmode to play my music, after a lot of tweaks to the interface.

Its a work in progress.

SAM_0852_edited.jpeg

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You only listen to music on headphones?

These days I do too. It's better for the ringing in my ear. People find that hard to believe but it's true.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:31 PM, Alan said:

At the moment they're pointing straight out. Not experimented with pointing them inwards yet :)

Have you solved this particular conundrum, Alan?

Pointing straight out will, I find, give you better separation, but placing them at an angle, so that they "look" at you, will offer a more "enveloping" sound. Experiment.

Ps, banana plugs offer a better connection, and better conductivity.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Laddie?

I ceased to be called "laddie", when I entered the King's service.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, Jay said:

Looks like you labeled your fronts as rears by mistake in your text

Women also dislike when you confuse their fronts and rears. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that you need a "protractor" to fiddle with the stylus to eliminate inner groove distortion. Anyone else know what the hell that means? Or am I doomed to just listen to Poltergeist II on LP forever?

It distorts when the inner groove tracks are playing, which is a common problem with vinyl apparently. But they reckon you can alleviate this with a protractor to align the cartridge. So I've emailed customer support at Yamaha to find out if there's one recommended to this model.

Oh and fucking hell, whatever you do, if you have this thing plugged into phono inputs, DO NOT accidentally activate the turntable's preamp, or else you'll send out an electrical jolt through your system that'll make you paranoid you ruined everything but probably didn't. They really ought to have more stringent and prominent warnings on these things.

29 minutes ago, dougie said:

It distorts when the inner groove tracks are playing, which is a common problem with vinyl apparently.

It doesn't help with the turntable resting on another piece of hi-fi.

On the plus side, though...is that  a Quadraspire frame?

Damn you sir, you will try!

If you can, try to find a makeshift frame, or get a small side table, and set the deck alongside the rest of the hi-fi.

With mastering and pressing techniques being what they are now, inner groove distortion should not be an issue.

Well these were early 80s LPs I was testing out. And one from the mid-2000s.

It was a bit weird having everything sound great for the most part, then Vincent Price's voice sounds like it's fading into snowy oblivion at the end of Thriller. Same with Scatman Crothers at the end of Side 1 on Twilight Zone.

Apparently a protractor to correctly align the stylus helps solve this issue.

11 hours ago, Richard said:

It doesn't help with the turntable resting on another piece of hi-fi.

Especially near amps and speakers, but I don't think that's the case here.

I played an LP pressed in the 2000s The Best of Godzilla 1984 to 1995 and yes, IGD was evident.

This actually never happened with my old cheapo Optimus turntable, but the new Yamaha I got this week does it.

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You probably know this, but too much tracking weight causes distortion too. 

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

Yeah that was a fiddly set-up with the tone arm, counterweight and the anti-skid, but I did it precisely to the instruction manual. My old Optimus one didn't have that.

Ah, lookie here, end of Side 1 of Supergirl didn't distort. But Under Fire, Twilight Zone and Explorers sure did.

Edit: so Side 2 was IGD free. What voodoo magic did Varese perform on this disc? Was it a Selena spell?

3 hours ago, dougie said:

Edit: so Side 2 was IGD free. What voodoo magic did Varese perform on this disc? Was it a Selena spell?

Maybe this side is shorter?

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe this side is shorter?

Both sides were fine. As was Capricorn One. And they were both as long as any other.

I found Star Trek: The Motion Picture to have some awful distortion at the ends of both sides. So The Enterprise and End Credits really copped it!

Or it's because sound waves circle your ear in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. The coriolis effect causes distortion and damages your hearing.