Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

If a film in mixed in 5.1, then I want to be immersed in the sound.

I've no issue with remixing mono films in 5.1, if it's done well (the early Bond films), but, generally, I want to keep the provenance of the film.

I find the colourization of black and white films, a fucking crime against humanity.

On 16/12/2020 at 2:41 PM, bollemanneke said:

Anyone have any experience with Edifier 1700BT Studio 2.0 speakers? I'm going to have to abandon my 5.1 speakers and need a good replacement.

Those came on my radar too... the 1700BTs in fact.

Tempting... not 100 % perfect, 4 stars out of 5 on lesnumeriques.com, but for the price... and I'm not listening to music in my office at a sooo high volume...  :wub:

image.png

• 1 month later...

I notice sometimes switching the same pair of headphones between my work laptop (a Dell Latitude) and my iPhone (using a lightning to 3.5 adapter) that the same album streamed via Youtube Music sounds significantly better on the iPhone than on the laptop.  Why might this be and is there anything I can do to make the Dell sound more to my liking?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I notice sometimes switching the same pair of headphones between my work laptop (a Dell Latitude) and my iPhone (using a lightning to 3.5 adapter) that the same album streamed via Youtube Music sounds significantly better on the iPhone than on the laptop.  Why might this be and is there anything I can do to make the Dell sound more to my liking?

The DAC?

Yes, it's likely as simple as the DAC inside your Dell laptop isn't as good as the DAC inside your iPhone

A USB-C DAC that can just leave permanently plugged into one of your laptop's USB-C ports might solve it

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you make your own music with that keyboard?

Yes, but these days I mainly play piano (VSTs) on my 88 weighted keys Yamaha keyboard that's underneath the small keyboard controller you see in the photo.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Yes, but these days I mainly play piano (VSTs) on my 88 weighted keys Yamaha keyboard that's underneath the small keyboard controller you see in the photo.

Do you want to share any of your music?

• 4 months later...

In May last year, I had a major water leak in my apartment (while I was away) that - among many other things - wrecked my old JBL speakers (trusted since 1997). So for one and a half year, I've been searching for replacements -- to a price I can afford. Well, yesterday, it finally became a reality. Via a Facebook group, I found a couple of wonderful Klipsch RF-62 speakers for such a low price, I'm almost embarassed to say. Hooked them up today, and WOW, they sound great! Deep, rich bass -- lots of stuff happening in the space between the speakers that my old JBLs didn't have to the same extent.

My stereo system otherwise consists of a Cambridge Azur 651A amplifier and a Pioneer DV-444 DVD/CD player. I don't use it for DVDs anymore (it's from 2004 and doesn't "upgrade" DVDs the way a Blu-ray player does), but it's excellent for CDs. Proper HiFi. I also have a cheapo Phillips Blu-ray player with a wonky tray (that doesn't always open), but that does its job for playing DVDs and Blu-rays now and then. I also have a USB cord to the amplifier for playing music and films from my PC (which is most of the time).

If I want to use headphones, I have a great BeyerDynamic headset that I got from a sound engineer in the early 2000s. Don't use it that much, because it's not recommended for tinnitus-afflicted people like myself.

Next in line is hooking up a turntable (and a RIAA) once I've found out where it can be (I have limited space in my tiny, 25 square meter apartment). THEN my stereo system is pretty much complete.

Here's a pic:

stereo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 7:31 AM, Thor said:

In May last year, I had a major water leak in my apartment (while I was away) that - among many other things - wrecked my old JBL speakers (trusted since 1997). So for one and a half year, I've been searching for replacements -- to a price I can afford. Well, yesterday, it finally became a reality. Via a Facebook group, I found a couple of wonderful Klipsch RF-62 speakers for such a low price, I'm almost embarassed to say. Hooked them up today, and WOW, they sound great! Deep, rich bass -- lots of stuff happening in the space between the speakers that my old JBLs didn't have to the same extent.

My stereo system otherwise consists of a Cambridge Azur 651A amplifier and a Pioneer DV-444 DVD/CD player. I don't use it for DVDs anymore (it's from 2004 and doesn't "upgrade" DVDs the way a Blu-ray player does), but it's excellent for CDs. Proper HiFi. I also have a cheapo Phillips Blu-ray player with a wonky tray (that doesn't always open), but that does its job for playing DVDs and Blu-rays now and then. I also have a USB cord to the amplifier for playing music and films from my PC (which is most of the time).

If I want to use headphones, I have a great BeyerDynamic headset that I got from a sound engineer in the early 2000s. Don't use it that much, because it's not recommended for tinnitus-afflicted people like myself.

Next in line is hooking up a turntable (and a RIAA) once I've found out where it can be (I have limited space in my tiny, 25 square meter apartment). THEN my stereo system is pretty much complete.

Here's a pic:

stereo.jpg

Is that a Cambridge Audio amp? I had a whole setup from them that was glorious, but got left behind in a hasty move. I like to think someone is enjoying it.

15 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Is that a Cambridge Audio amp? I had a whole setup from them that was glorious, but got left behind in a hasty move. I like to think someone is enjoying it.

Sure is. While it's not on the level of my awesome old Sansui amplifier from the early 80s, I've been enjoying it for some 7-8 years now. Love the warmth of the sound. Sorry to hear you no longer have it.

Thank God my TV table was on wheels, which kept the amp just enough above the floor not to be destroyed by the water (unlike my ex-speakers).

On 26/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, Bespin said:

Those came on my radar too... the 1700BTs in fact.

Tempting... not 100 % perfect, 4 stars out of 5 on lesnumeriques.com, but for the price... and I'm not listening to music in my office at a sooo high volume...  :wub:

image.png

I just ordered these based on your recommendation - thanks!  This is exactly the level/price point I was looking for.  If they’re no good, I’m going to come to Canada AND TELL YOU MYSELF

Just now, mstrox said:

I just ordered these based on your recommendation - thanks!  This is exactly the level/price point I was looking for.  If they’re no good, I’m going to come to Canada AND TELL YOU MYSELF

Thanks, just let me know a few days in advance to make sure I'll be somewhere else!