Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Denise Bryson

Jerry, how are you getting on with your audio quest?

Searching for a multi-channel separates system. I see a preamp on eBay I want. Then all I'll need is a multi-channel power amp.

By the way, I was reminiscing about a set of speakers I saw in the shops nearly 20 years ago. It was a Technics THX certified 5.2 set that was going for $4,000 back then. I always wondered how they sounded because they never had them hooked up. Someone within driving distance on Gumtree is selling his set for $400. Wouldn't hurt having two sets of speakers, would it?

yeah, I once had speakers that had some sort of Styrofoam surrounding the cones. After a few years they completely detetiorated

Now I only buy speakers with Butyl rubber surrounds

i'm happy with my KEF Q100/ Energy Veritas V-Mini combo. i'll keep them until something breaks .My energy 8 inch sub is good too. Adds the right amount of bass but not boomy at all

It depends on the material and glue that is used. You can always check for yourself whether the speaker surrounds are still intact or not.

5d2ab7cfbb0a37b23d09c9ab5f3e8dc8.jpg

Not good.

s-l1000.jpg

Good.

Hard to see by eye if the bottom one has micro fractures which will eventually tear. 

Drax, you buy 20 year old speakers for under a tenner at a charity market, or a garage sale somewhere. You don't spend 400 dollars on them.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hard to see by eye if the bottom one has micro fractures which will eventually tear. 

The surround on the bottom photo is completely new. It's a repaired midrange driver.

3 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Ah yes, but these are THX certified high-end speakers that were valued at $4,000 in the late 90s. It's like buying a vintage camera lens.

Or better yet, it's like buying a vintage Leica lens. You don't get Leica quality for a tenner.

20 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

These poor blokes are selling off their hi-fi gear because they don't comply with the "wife approval factor". I feel sorry for them.

They do get laid in exchange, so maybe it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I purchased a second hand Parasound Halo P7 7.1 channel pre-amp. Picking it up tomorrow. The seller told me he's getting rid of it because he wants a device that can do Atmos, which as a format, it doesn't interest me.

Just need a power amp now. Was thinking of getting a 2-channel power amp for the mains, and a 5-channel power amp for the surrounds. We'll see.

On 28/01/2018 at 9:47 AM, Alexcremers said:

I wouldn't mind having a pair of B&W 801!

74443-bw_801_series_80_speakers.jpg

Gods, what a monster!

6 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Today I purchased a second hand Parasound Halo P7 7.1 channel pre-amp. Picking it up tomorrow. The seller told me he's getting rid of it because he wants a device that can do Atmos, which as a format, it doesn't interest me.

Just need a power amp now. Was thinking of getting a 2-channel power amp for the mains, and a 5-channel power amp for the surrounds. We'll see.

That sounds like a good idea, Jerry.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

@Blumenkohl what do you like about it?I may try to listen to it, in a couple of weeks.

Fantastic sound quality (shocking when you see how small it is in person), and a sound field that doesn't change when you move. That's blowing my mind. It's like wearing headphones and walking around, but there's no headphones. It feels like magic, but it's using a computer inside the speaker to take into account the laws of physics and give you a consistent listening experience. 

If they had some wired inputs, this would kill the entire sub-$2000 speaker market. Unfortunately it's being billed against spySpeakers. 

I got my own this morning. This thing is amazing as a speaker and as a marvel of acoustic engineering. The Siri stuff is okay in terms of what you can do with it, but again the acoustic sorcery going into even that aspect is mind-blowing. You can stand 50 feet away (~15 meters) and in a normal voice say "Hey Siri" while music is playing, and the thing lights up. 

To compare: my wife can't hear me from that distance while the music is playing. This thing is outdoing the human brain in terms of speech processing. 

I think I now realize what Tomlinson Holman (the inventor of LucasFilm THX, and the TH portion of THX) has been doing at Apple since 2011...

I got my Parasound Halo P7 preamp today. The couple who sold it to me seemed sad to see it go. The man was refurbishing his home theatre and installing ceiling speakers for his Atmos.

I can't listen to my preamp yet because I don't have a power amp. But that'll be next. This sort of gear is frustratingly difficult to find in Australia. Sydney particularly. Melbourne seems to be more into hi-fi.

Blighty, NSW? Hi-Fi shows up in the oddest places. There's a good shop in Canberra too, in the main shopping district. Yet in the South West of Sydney, Hi-Fi shops have been chased off by big box outlets like JB Hi-Fi (deceptive name), Harvey Norman, Bing Lee and The Good Guys. And years ago, those shops had a respectable mid range selection, now it's all crap.

Someone in Sydney is selling their Parasound Halo A23 stereo power amp for $1,200 (normally retails for $2,000). I'll see if I can talk him down a bit and pick up a bargain. Then at least I can enjoy powerful 2-channel audio for now until I add a 5-channel amp for the surrounds later. Bit by bit!

On 2/19/2018 at 4:23 AM, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else like the look of those spiky heat sinks on the external chassis of high quality power amplifiers? As if they're built for destruction?

Damage of hearing, more likely. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On January 27, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Richard said:

@Denise Bryson

Jerry, how are you getting on with your audio quest?

Jerry as in me? I was on a quest?

I have an

iPod Nano 7th Generation Red ( with earbuds)

Blackweb Bluetooth Speaker

Philips Red Noise Cancelling Headphones

Philips Red Portable CD Player

Philips Black Stationary CD Player

Sony Speakers

So yeah, old Jerry getting in with the tech. I'm surprised how many people have Nanos. I don't have a cell phone but I got my trusty Nano.

On September 29, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Stefancos said:

Many people just need to have something in the background. They don't really listen intently, but there has to be something there sonically.

I usually sit down and do some work while playing music, but then I just stop everything and listen to it. So I start off background and end off intent. When I rented the Star Wars OT Soundtracks I was very intent though. That reminds me, I need to post my reviews sometime.

I just won an eBay auction for a Rotel RB-985 5-channel power amp. It's not exactly the ideal Parasound I would have liked, and it's an older amp, but the condition seemed great, complete with original box and manual. And the price wasn't bank breaking. Can't wait to receive it!

5 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I just won an eBay auction for a Rotel RB-985 5-channel power amp. It's not exactly the ideal Parasound I would have liked, and it's an older amp, but the condition seemed great, complete with original box and manual. And the price wasn't bank breaking. Can't wait to receive it!

It's an older amp, but it checks out.

5 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

THX certified.

Nice, but does it go up to 11?