Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

It's interesting the way this set is laid out. The THX receiver it came with has one LFE output to one subwoofer, which has its own line out to the other subwoofer. It was a cheat back then, but if you used a modern AV receiver that has two LFE outputs, you'd get the same result.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, Stefancos said:

Anyone got tips on what to look for in a good Bluetooth transmitter that i can hook up to my reciever?

Main use will be for wireless headphones.

Stefan, what transmitter did you end up getting?  Do you like it?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Stefan, what transmitter did you end up getting?  Do you like it?

http://www.avantree.com/long-range-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-oasis.html

I do. Very easy to use and great range.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Richard said:

Try to play something with it. If it sounds clipped ...

Good advice.

Normally it shouldn't be a problem but don't do it too much. It's needless wearing of the needle. It's odd though that you can clearly see that the groove has been widened. Maybe the weight of the arm isn't balanced correctly? Too much weight damages your records.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some advice.  I use a very old-fashioned audio receiver for my stereo which, right now at least, only has the record player hooked to it.

This isn't my receiver, but it's the same model that I own.  How could I turn this into a Bluetooth transmitter?  It's obviously easiest to use the headphone out port on the front, but is that the only way?  Is it the best way in terms of audio quality?

985226-teac-amfm-stereo-receiver-ag-790.

985219-teac-amfm-stereo-receiver-ag-790.

The answer you seek is a few posts up on this page

You buy the Aventree Oasis and use the headphone jack

Yeah I was looking at that one after Stefan posted it.  I just wanted to verify that the headphone jack is the only method available to me with this receiver.  I don't know much about this stuff tbh

EDIT: I ordered the avantree!

Well you can use the RCA outs under your TAPE MONITOR PLAY but there won't be any noticeable difference whatsoever

Other than the fact that with something plugged into the headphone jack, the speakers attached to the receiver itself will auto-mute

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I only recognize The Beatles and Star Wars boxes.

It's funny you say that because I used to have Help! and Return of the Jedi on the same tape, so those two movies will forever be associated with one another in my mind.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Ah! OUT OF THE BLUE: even the spine is unmistakable. 

LED ZEPPELIN: nice.

Yo La Tango: also nice.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I think that PHYSICAL GRAFFITI is in there, as well.

My current ELO collection.  Always on the lookout for the ones I'm missing at record stores or flea markets and such.  But the record itself has to be in good condition or me no buy.

Spoiler

IMG_2358_(1).jpg

My current Led Zeppelin collection.  Only three more!  Sorry, I don't care if I get Coda or not!

Spoiler

IMG_2360.jpg

And my current Yo La Tengo collection.  

Spoiler

IMG_2362.jpg

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Is that uncommon over there, Jason?

What, chimneys?  Or three fireplaces?

@Disco Stu

I'd say that CODA is wort having.

ON THE THIRD DAY, and FACE THE MUSIC are worth it, but stop after SECRET MESSAGES (still waiting for the two-disc version). I'm warning you...avoid ZOOM.

I have the Yo La Tango CD with the cassette tape, on the cover. I like it.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

@Disco Stu

I'd say that CODA is wort having.

ON THE THIRD DAY, and FACE THE MUSIC are worth it, but stop after SECRET MESSAGES (still waiting for the two-disc version). I'm warning you...avoid ZOOM.

I have the Yo La Tango CD with the cassette tape, on the cover. I like it.

Believe me, I know the discographies of all three bands very well.  I just don't have it all on vinyl yet.  Digital is my main collection.  Vinyl is just for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Mum wants a soundbar for her bedroom TV. Any suggestions for models that can provide a significant boost to her sound experience? As everyone else here knows, I'm presently too aurally handicapped to test them out in-store, so I'm reliant on outside opinion.

Just something basic, but with considerable punch. No Atmos or any of those other fancy high-end bells and whistles required.

Not sure what to recommend with this, not owning a soundbar, an' all.

What brands are popular in Australia?

Read up, especially customer reviews.

Two things come to mind, though:

1/ it's your mum who wants a soundbar for

2/ her bedroom.

In my experience, women have not placed as much emphasis on HiFi, as men have. It seems to me that mum might be happy with a "basic" soundbar, (as you suggest), so it seems that a cheaper model would do. I assume that mum can change the soundbar, if she's not happy with it? 

Also, it's for the bedroom. No-one buys Meridian for the bedroom (at least, I don't think they do :unsure:). 

Best thing is for mum to try-out soundbars, and find the one that sounds best in her bedroom.

54 minutes ago, Richard said:

In my experience, women have not placed as much emphasis on HiFi, as men have.

Oh sure, but I'd say even the most contented viewer wouldn't be satisfied with the hideously tinny speakers that are equipped inside TVs these days, and even she reckons the ones embedded into the Sony 32" I just bought for her are unacceptable (I had a quick listen to them at moderate volume and their shrillness almost killed me in my present condition). She just wants a fuller sound really, like how they used to be in older CRT TVs.