Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

• 2 months later...

I've had the Fiio USB DAC E-10k Olympus for years and been happy with it

But Fiio just upgraded it this year: K3

https://www.fiio.com/k3

On 9/10/2018 at 9:39 AM, Norma's Corpse said:

Mum wants a soundbar for her bedroom TV. Any suggestions for models that can provide a significant boost to her sound experience? As everyone else here knows, I'm presently too aurally handicapped to test them out in-store, so I'm reliant on outside opinion.

Mom's can't  adjust electronic devices. Just make sure what you buy just needs to be plugged in with no settings or buttons. Sound quality doesn't matter as long as it sound somewhat better than what she had

My mom has a computer .She doesn't know how to turn it off .She can only use Firefox but unable to make bookmarks so she looks up stuff in google every time she visits a site

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought the Sony Walkman NW - A45. Read good reviews for it and most of my digital music is in FLAC audio and I have a few high-res files, should be good to finally play music through a device made for playing music! I've been using my phone for good knows how long!

71km2YBOdTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@Jurassic Shark The Walkman is a dedicated music player, with a range of specialized EQ settings that one can adjust. A majority of the battery of my phone is depleted through listening to music, so with this extra device (which is smaller and has more storage) I'll be able to have more control over my music, more time to listen to it without draining the battery of my one lifeline, and the quality is markedly improved compared with smartphone playback.

I don't have a CD player anymore (or yet) so if I'm going to listen to music digitally, I thought it would best be through a device designed for the best audio playback that I can carry around! 

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

Just bought the Sony Walkman NW - A45. Read good reviews for it and most of my digital music is in FLAC audio and I have a few high-res files, should be good to finally play music through a device made for playing music! I've been using my phone for good knows how long!

This is now on my watch list for when my iPod Classic finally chooses to die. Expandable memory slot makes it attractive. 

My cellphone battery and overall sluggishness when at low battery level make it less desirable for use as a music player. 

The only negative things I've read about it are the ever so slightly slower UI and using Sony's media centre app for transferring files, although that's an easy bypass as you can just drag whatever files you want onto the device like a normal USB.

I'll update here after I've got it in hand! 

@Jurassic Shark

AUDIO PLAYBACK

AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 16-320kbps / 8-48kHz, AIFF ( .aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc): 16, 24, 32bit / 8-384kHz, APE ( .ape): 8, 16, 24bit / 8-192kHz (Fast, Normal, High), Apple Lossless ( .mp4, .m4a): 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, DSD ( .dsf, .dff): 1bit / 2.8224, 5.6448, 11.2896 MHz *Audio that is converted to Linear PCM is output., FLAC ( .flac): 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, HE-AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32-144kbps / 8-48kHz, MP3 ( .MP3): 32 - 320kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 32, 44.1, 48kHz, MQA ( .mqa.flac): Supported, WAV ( .WAV): 16, 24, 32bit (Float / Integer) / 8-384kHz, WMA ( .WMA): 32 - 192kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 44.1kHz

Thanks, that's what I thought. I like the walkman, but I'm not sure if it will replace my phone since that also has Spotify, and I like to carry around only one unit. I guess I'll buy either this or a powerbank for my phone.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, Arpy said:

71km2YBOdTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great product! I have several friends who have this, and they're all very happy with it. You can't go wrong with Sony! 

Thanks @Josh500 I'm hoping it'll be good! I've got several other Sony products and they're generally quite good! Years ago I used to use the original Sony PSP as my media device, many memories of listening to scores and playing Star Wars Battlefront 2!

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Thanks @Josh500 I'm hoping it'll be good! I've got several other Sony products and they're generally quite good! Years ago I used to use the original Sony PSP as my media device, many memories of listening to scores and playing Star Wars Battlefront 2!

I'm a big Sony fan! My smartphone is an Xperia, my portable music player is Sony, my earphones are Sony, and I recently bought a digital camera from Sony. They generally make very good, reliable, beautiful high-quality products! 

I started building my first Hi-Fi system at Christmas! Right now it's made up of:

- Onkyo A9010B integrated stereo amp (UK version - analog only)

- Mission LX-2 speakers

- Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray player - I have this connected to a Dolby Atmos home theatre system via HDMI and to the stereo amp via analog

So far I have to say it sounds fantastic! I'm listening to the Harry Potter set on it now and I've never been able to enjoy good stereo image before now. The sound doesn't appear to be coming from the speakers. Instead it's like the wall behind the speakers has been turned in to the recording stage. I can pin point where instruments would be and the sound completely fills my living room with a lovely balance.

The Onkyo amp also has a separate headphone amp making listening on phones so much better than I was getting from my PC. Warm and detailed sound.

In my case, the speakers are positioned pointing inwards ...

Setting-up-your-Hi-Fi-speaker-for-best-s

... with normal copper speakers wire and plugs on the speakers' end (to make it quick & easy to hook up a different set of speakers). I have Toshiba and QED interconnects but these days I don't really care about the so-called importance of that. 

7 hours ago, Richard said:

That sounds like a nice system, @Alan.

What speaker wire, and interconnects, do you have? How are the speakers positioned? 

I think the cable is QED XT25 connected with Cambridge Audio banana plugs. The advisor at Richer Sounds recommended it and I've always had good experience with them - doesn't feel like they're just pushing snake oil.

The speakers are at ear height and moved as far away from the wall as I could manage (about 20cm). At the moment they're pointing straight out. Not experimented with pointing them inwards yet :)

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Regular copper wire is fine!

I know and I still use it for my surround system. Was just curious to give something a bit different a try though :)

My new Sony Walkman arrived, will update this post later when I have a bit more time! What I can say now though, is that it sounds brilliant, really brings the music to life in a way my phone couldn't.