The Official Jóhann Jóhannsson Thread

Dixon Hill

In the end of the day film music isn't really a genre, it's a description.

Just because one loves John Williams or James Horner doesn't mean they have to love Hans Zimmer, or Jonannsson because they also work in film.

Because it usually just resorts to bashing the "other" side. But it's actually a very valid topic.

There's no reason why someone who loves John Williams should love Johnny Greenwood. Just because they both do film music.

There are many that like both, and that's great. But it doesnt make the ones that don't wrong.

Group hug!

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, KK said:

He's been found lacking. Didn't you think his general sound was pretty limiting, KK?

On 3/23/2017 at 4:42 PM, Stefancos said:

In the end of the day film music isn't really a genre, it's a description.

Just because one loves John Williams or James Horner doesn't mean they have to love Hans Zimmer, or Jonannsson because they also work in film.

Exactly.

I have a friend who's big in ambient music...Eno, Robert Fripp, Michael Brook, etc.  He really enjoys Jóhannsson and couldn't care less about the films his music is attached to. 

If you're not into electronic or ambient music you're probably not going to get much out of listening to these kind of scores on their own. But if you are, these kind of scores are welcome as works of art that have their own merits.

On 3/23/2017 at 3:48 AM, Stefancos said:

Too much experimentation is risky, and jeopardizes the upcoming Blade Runner Cinematic Universe.

I'm sure Ridley will ask his old buddy Hans to oversee Jonhannsson's work. And make the necessary corrections. 

Heh. 

• 2 months later...

I just stumbled onto this "remix" of some of Glass' Satyagraha. I'm really digging it!

Apparently there's a whole album of these kind of Glass "remixes" from various artists. Will have to check it out.

39 minutes ago, KK said:

I just stumbled onto this "remix" of some of Glass' Satyagraha. I'm really digging it!

Apparently there's a whole album of these kind of Glass "remixes" from various artists. Will have to check it out.

Not Johannsson related, but one of my favorite projects of this kind was an album of remixes of a recording of Terry Riley's composition "In C".  I LOVE this one.

(if that is region blocked try this):

• 1 month later...

Those 4 available samples are of previously written pieces from Johannsson's Orphée. The rest of the album, I presume, is original.

Here's hoping this one at least makes it to the finish line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Going to give Mandy a listen later today. Arrival was his most recent score I cared for and I have a feeling that this one won't be for me, but maybe it has at least one worthwhile track or something.

Funny, somehow I was thinking of JJ today. Here's a guy who was asked to compose the score for the new Blade Runner movie, he gets rejected, and then he dies ...

I still want to hear what he came up with.

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why did you decide today to bring us this article from August of 2018?

And one you had already commented on?

On 8/2/2018 at 2:51 AM, Locrius said:

For those curious, apparently he died due to a cocaine overdose + prescription medication.

https://www1.wdr.de/radio/cosmo/musik/global-pop-news/global-pop-news-2070.html

On 8/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, Stefancos said:

Pity the fool who wroughts his own undoing!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder if it ever will, any idea how much he actually scored before they dropped him?

I bet it sounded nothing like Blade Runner!

I suspect that's why they had to let him go. He didn't want to copy Vangelis.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As the buzz around Dune continues, I once again find myself lamenting Jóhannsson's passing. While I appreciate many of Zimmer's textures I ultimately remain unimpressed with the score, and unfortunately we can only wonder what Jóhannsson might have done had he been given the chance to apply his talents to such a promising project.

For the longest time the same was thought to be the case for Blade Runner 2049. Jóhannsson was replaced by Zimmer and Wallfisch after Villeneuve decided they needed something closer to Vangelis' original (whether the score we got actually fits that bill is a matter of opinion, but no matter). Whatever music he had begun to work on at that point was never released. 

Anyway, I was perusing through Jóhannsson's official YouTube channel and what do I find but a recently released album titled Gold Dust, "a selection of unreleased and unused music from a project during Jóhann's career."

There's no explicit confirmation as to which film these might have been intended for, but it's cool to imagine how this might have fit into something like BR 2049 or perhaps even his rejected score for Darren Aronofsky's Mother!. Any thoughts?

Yes, I'm aware of the release. I'm glad that we still get "new" Jóhannsson music after his passing; i.e. that there is a catalogue to choose from. I haven't yet listened to GOLD DUST, though. Will soon. Many have said that ORPHÉE is what a BR score would have sounded like from him. That's just pure speculation, of course, but it's still a great album. I'll have to think about what context GOLD DUST would "fit in" when I listen to it.

• 3 months later...

According to the Youtube metadata, "Gold Dust" is Mother! demos with one other track thrown in as well

Song: Day 6_3M12c_Grace Empties Dryer_v1.2_425_03-13-15-00_Mix-21903
Album: Mother Sketches for Opera
Song: Into The Tomb-21903
Album: Athaliah
Song: Day 6_7M25_Grace's Revenge_v1.0_0428_07-06-07-00_Mix-21903
Song: Day 6_3M12a_Panties Photo_v1.3_425_03-05-47-03_Mix-21903
Song: Day6_7m24_Grace's Theme_MIX-21903
Song: Day 6_5M16_Passion_v1.1_428_05-05-43-02_RefMix1.0-21903

Well, unless "Mother Sketches for Opera" means something else, I guess.  Come to think of it, there is no character named Grace in Mother! is there... hmmm

The album is out in all the usual places too, not just youtube

https://open.spotify.com/album/7q07UdbjEjUxD7FflG3kDj?si=C4CBSMplR-qE0IkYD1hXDg
https://music.apple.com/us/album/gold-dust-ep/1579626559
https://tidal.com/browse/album/193037933
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BT6FWHJ
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/gold-dust-johann-johannsson/dx8r9809dd8hc

@JayThey're probably demos for the Mother! Opera that Aronofsky was ideating on with Johannsson.

Source: https://screenrant.com/darren-aronofsky-mother-opera/

The suddenly-chatty Aronofsky returned to Reddit this weekend for another round of mother! talk and indicated he's ready to take the already-extreme film in an even more bizarre direction. Unless Aronofsky was just messing with Reddit, it seems that he and Johann Johansson are "thinking" (to quote Aronofsky directly) about turning mother! into an opera now.

Composer Johann Johansson (Arrival) was actually working on a score for mother! when Aronofsky decided the movie would be better without music. Johansson's score wasn't used, but the composer was still given a credit as "sound and music consultant." Turning mother! into an opera would give Johansson a chance to develop the musical ideas he never got to use on the movie, and then some.

The article does acknowledge that Aronofsky could've been joking. But unless the Album title "Mother Sketches for Opera" is also some kind of joke, then it was probably for the Opera idea.

I suppose though these could just be selections from his original Mother! demos that were then compiled into an album of ideas for the opera?

Interesting though regardless!

It's weird because "Mother Sketches for Opera" seems pretty definitive, especially in light of that random reddit comment Aaronofsky made...

.. But the individual track titles don't make sense for anything to do with Mother! at all

3M12c_Grace Empties Dryer
7M25_Grace's Revenge
3M12a_Panties Photo
7m24_Grace's Theme
6_5M16_Passion

That's not what the Mother! film is about, and an opera wouldn't use movie reel numbering

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's weird because "Mother Demos for Opera" seems pretty definitive, especially in light of that news you just shared...

.. But the individual track titles don't make sense for anything to do with Mother! at all

3M12c_Grace Empties Dryer
7M25_Grace's Revenge
3M12a_Panties Photo
7m24_Grace's Theme
6_5M16_Passion

That's not what the Mother! film is about, and an opera wouldn't use movie reel numbering

Exactly. Very confusing. Very difficult to say what it is. I'd love someone to just come out and tell us what these are.

Well, maybe he first wrote it for a film, it got rejected, then he dug them out to propose for the opera?

Just gotta figure out which film has a character named Grace who finds a panty photo and empties a dryer in reel 3, has passion in reel six, then gets revenge in reel 7!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jóhann Jóhannsson's estate is releasing unreleased music of his of the BLADE RUNNER 2049 ost exclusively through NFTs

https://foundation.app/@JohannJohannsson

hs30qosd3a091.png?width=1240&format=png&

Can this bullshit die already? Can someone take his estate away from them?

Been looking into him lately by the way - I've liked Arrival since I first saw the movie, but I now also instantly fell in love with Drone Mass and Last and First Men's soundscapes. The Shadow Play's also nice.