John Williams receives the 44th AFI Life Achievement Award

mrbellamy

How has John Williams "in a fundamental way advanced the film art"?

He provided a rabid enough fan base to neutralize anyone who would allege plagiarism from the classics, thereby enabling film composers to freely steal without fear of reprisal and give us the great scores of cinematic history.

How has John Williams "in a fundamental way advanced the film art"?

He provided a rabid enough fan base to neutralize anyone who would allege plagiarism from the classics, thereby enabling film composers to freely steal without fear of reprisal and give us the great scores of cinematic history.

OK, makes sense.

Yet another example of someone trying to be smart about something they know nothing about. Sigh. There's a lot of that lately.

Unfortunately, I think it's contagious.

As far as this reward is concerned, few people deserve this more than him IMO. Quite cool that he gets to be the first film composer to receive it.

I'm surprised nobody here has replied to his comment.

i wanted to reply something like "I find your lack of knowledge in music disturbing" but ... anyway ... if this guy is able to write such a stupid comment, it's non sense to feed the troll, and will lead to nothing except loosing time, nerves etc ...

Very happy of this morning news !! Curious to know who will be the musical hosts (well, we know Mr spielberg and some other guys will be there, but which musicians ;) ? ) !

i'll have to hire my french horn friend (that some of you know here :) ) to make me subtitles of the show as i can't listen to Tv sound anymore, and hoping someone will record the show and post it on internet as we can't watch it from here.

Yet another example of someone trying to be smart about something they know nothing about. Sigh. There's a lot of that lately.

Unfortunately, I think it's contagious.

Yes, it's contagious, my star wars video conducted by John williams that i posted on youtube some years ago but since then removed by youtube (but i have still a lot of others posted there and with the help of some guys here !! thanks to them (here : http://www.youtube.com/user/martyprod2) had a crazy list of comments like this, at a point that i made a list of all of them, and put them in a video with the Miss something who play the Meco version of star wars with the awful choregraphy / trumpet

(yes, i know the issue was the Tape not playing at the right speed :D ). the funny part is that this video got a copyright infrigment reporting the tune of meco by Sony Classical during the 1 second silence in the video (the tune was in loop during the whole video) and flagged as "episode one main titles" lol.

anyway, here is the list of all the most stupid comments (i don't post the hundred ones posted about making a "joke" between his conductor's batton and a light saber ...

it was a boston pops concert where he conducts the star wars main title... here we go ...

"- if u think he is the best composer u don't listen to real music ! He ripped the Star Wars music from Marche Slave by

Tchaikovsky and Mars by Gustav Holst! He is good but his most well known piece is completely ripped.

- Actually, John Williams really does use Finale and has done so since the 1990s.

- seriously though. who the hell looks at his hands after the begining. if your taking queues from a waving object.. your not

using your inner most strength of memory and perfection. i refuse to believe that outer motivations of any kind could trump inner practice.

- can someone give me the basic rundown of what he's doing with that chopstick and what its used for ?

- Had to google him.

- What a strange conducting style he has lol

- i can't believe he even needs the sheet music! it's like looking at the recipe for your own cake.

- he looks so american

- love Horners bit... star wars sounds like a brass orchestra on a funeral

- The only song from the star wars that is worth listening

- ziimmer is a vERY vERY vERY vERY.... GooD MuSiCiAN!!

- its fake a herp you doesnt hear a harp in starwars i know what the sound is and its a harp that is playing two its fake"

Why? Because he speaks the truth?

Lol ... Come on ... the issue is that people don't understand the difference between inspiration and Copy ! and it's not like the planets has inspired only Williams and nobody else in the music film industry lol ...

i think we can talk about copy with A dangerous mind / a bicentenal man, Rocketeer / Titanic, but Mars / Star Wars ? Come on ...

12 hours of music only inspired by one orchestral suite ? ... seriously ...

it's nice, but I'd like him to get some sort of lifetime tribute at the Oscars

I second that.

Then again, the Academy has a history of being slow when it comes to cinematic achievements that actually matter.

Also they don't really do those anymore. The Honorary Oscars just get like some dinner event now, they give out a bunch instead of just the one, and they post clips on YouTube. Still cool but this will be a bigger thing than an Oscar tribute would be. I mean, a whole night just for him.

“John Williams has written the soundtrack to our lives,” said Sir Howard Stringer

???

Certainly to our lives. How big a fan are you, Mr. Stringer? Do you have the latest edits of the expanded prequel scores? Did you order the Lost in Space box set?

I fucking hate when people say shit like this, but they aren't like really fans. Pretentious fuck that am.

Does anyone know if one of the labels is working on a complete release of the soundtrack of our lives?

I think we'd all love an as extended as possible version of that.

Does anyone know if one of the labels is working on a complete release of the soundtrack of our lives?

I think we'd all love an as extended as possible version of that.

Complete and chronological!

Does the bus music have a name? I've been wondering for years. I remember listening to it also on the Simpsons episode when they went to New York, and the music played when Marge and the kids were riding the subway, so it must have a name.

hey guys we were speaking about the contagious comments about holts / the planets / star wars ... one guy just came this morning on my youtube channel to tell his "science" about the planets... one more guy ... just tired of this ... it's this all the time ... just ridiculous, i just want to kick this guy ass out of my channel.

"Yes, he is a great composer until you listen to Holst's Mars, The Bringer of War and you realize exactly how much John Williams owes Gustav Holst for this march. Between Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity and Mars, The Bringer of War, these two pieces alone almost completely inspired the Star Wars score. In fact, the thematic elements, the phrasing and the instrumentation that John's uses within the Star Wars score almost entirely mimics how Holst used them in The Planets. Of course, Holst got there first. In fact, most cinematic symphonic composers should thank Holst for opening their careers to this type of symphonic music used as soundtracks. Without Holst, cinematic music might have been entirely different.'

"It really doesn't matter how many people have said it, it matters whether it's true. And.. it is. John can recognize whomever he wishes for his influences, but that doesn't change from where the inspiration drew for the original Star Wars score whether intentional or unintentional. Mars was a march, so is this. The thematic elements are almost identical as is John's use of the orchestra to portray this march. That's not coincidence nor does it make it original. Though, it works in the context of the film and it also works only for the fact that Holst's Op. 32 is a lesser known work by most of the public. But, it's guaranteed that John's music schooling brought him into familiarity with Holst's score. So, were John to feign ignorance as to never having heard it would be entirely disingenuous. As for bringing back symphony into the theater, it never left. Perhaps during the early 70s for a brief time, but there has been symphony in cinematic movies going back to the 40s (Fantasia). Disney was a huge proponent of symphony in film. Symphonies were heavily used in the 50s musicals and into the 60s. Some were even shown on screen before the films opened. So, no, John Williams cannot be attributed as having brought symphony to the cinema, though he might be credited as having revived it after a short (8-10 year or so) hiatus.'

Hey he obviously knows his stuff and John Williams better than we do. Case closed!

Who would have thought it was so easy to destroy a legend. A single smart-ass is all it takes it seems.

Fuck him!

well, i didn't wanted to, but i erased his comments because he added this :

"Clearly, you don't keep up with the times do you? Does every musical artist ever state their entire set of influences? How many pop artists have been sued because they stole ideas or even whole parts of songs from past popular artists for their newest? All you need to do is open your eyes and read the Rolling Stone to see exactly how many artists have lifted 'inspiration' from other people's work. In this case, John doesn't have to give credit because Holst's work is in public domain..."

i respect everybody opinions, but i HATE when someone insult me on my own forums / page / channel.

rule number one since 20 yeras : don't insult the admin lol.

i wrote to him a private message, i'm curious to know his reply as the guy is a guitar player and name as his own influences some people. but me and my best friend (that some of you may know, the amazing french horn player, Marc Papeghin) we worked or collaborated with ALL the influences of this guy lol.

but more than that, it's so so so boring to read this again and again and again. at least if he wants to play this game, he must name the others, ... Korngold (main title), prokofiev (little people), stravinsky ... and sue everybody !!! from Mozart to ... ahh maybe not Cage for 4'33" !! lol ...

and he's wrong for the domain public. holst is in domain public only since 2007, and never the holst family sued williams ! but they sued zimmed for Gladiator :D

We must abolish JWFan!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

oups sorry, i just ripped off one well know bad guy worst line :D ... must i be sued by the luscasfilm empire ? :D