Gordy Haab's Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Jay

Some people think Williams' score to The Force Awakens has premiered in this new video game...... What do you think? :)

Videos courtesy LeHah from FSM

This is the game in question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Battlefront_(2015_video_game)

UPDATE 1: Battlefront has no music from TFA in it; Gordy Haab composed original music in John Williams' style. See here and forward.

UPDATE 2: The Battlefront "planets" websit music is also Gordy Haab, and not TFA music. See here and forward.

Hard to say. It could very well be it, since Williams' action music has been very whimsical in the last 5 years (it hasn't had the thematic coherence of yesteryear), and this was all over the place (much like TINTIN and INDY 4), like he's moved on from that and doesn't quite know how to tap into his former self. On the other hand, it could also be someone doing Williams pastiche very well. I don't really understand how the music from the film could leak into a game at this point in time.

Huh? It wouldn't be a leak. The game is endorsed by Lucasfilm, and just about every Star Wars game ever made uses Williams' music from the films.

Huh? It wouldn't be a leak. The game is endorsed by Lucasfilm, and just about every Star Wars game ever made uses Williams' music from the films.

I know (and I meant 'leak' as in 'seep into'), but wouldn't they wait with putting the film's music into the game untill the film was actually out?

Remembering that car commercial a month or so ago that sounded convincingly like Williams, I tried Shazam to identify the music here. Shazam can ID the bit that's taken from ESB but nothing else, not even the End Credits that I think came from Ep. III (the slower tempo is why I say that), so maybe even that's new; but the likely reason is it's not a clean recording so it's difficult for the app to "hear" the acoustic fingerprint of the music properly.

I'm more inclined to believe it's simply music created for this game by Not-John-Williams rather than TFA music, like what LucasArts did for The Force Unleashed games.

If it isn't Williams, then it's a fairly good imitation. If it is, then it's pretty "meh" unfortunately. I don't think it is new TFA music though. Everything about the movie is under tight lips and I doubt they'd want to have the first real bit of score released this way.

It doesn't sound like Williams to me - just another imitator. I highly doubt they would premiere TFA music in a video game. Plus, this doesn't sound like music that would fit into the category of "best Star Wars score" or "music from the Gods." :P

:20 to :25 kind of sounds like the beginning of "High Wire Stunts" from JP.

It doesn't sound like Williams to me - just another imitator. I highly doubt they would premiere TFA music in a video game. Plus, this doesn't sound like music that would fit into the category of "best Star Wars score" or "music from the Gods." :P

Perhaps the Gods are really into xylophones.

Christ, the déjà vu here is absurd. "If it's not him, it's a good imitation, but if it is, it sucks."

But it's true...

It strikes me as characteristic, well-composed music. Whoever wrote it....

it sounds like something I can't identify from the Prequel scores that I'd want to place somewhere in my expanded edit

Remembering that car commercial a month or so ago that sounded convincingly like Williams,

Not really...but this sounds like Williams

Christ, the déjà vu here is absurd. "If it's not him, it's a good imitation, but if it is, it sucks."

Obviously that has more to do with relative standards/expectations. Same thing that leads people to gripe about Williams on "autopilot"...it goes without saying that it's professionally written and characteristic, it's just that it'd be a little more impressive coming from anybody else.

Probably unfair but there's a difference between "Wow, that really sounds like him!" and "Well, yeah, of course it sounds like him." ;)

I don't think it is. I think it's just extra music that has been written to work alongside Williams cues so they're not just playing familiar music over and over.

Yes, that's exactly what LucasArts did with The Force Unleashed, a mix of Williams and Williams-esque action music. Stands to reason Electronic Arts would do the same thing with Battlefront.

Time to put this rumor to a rest. No, it is not from TFA. It is music composed by Gordy Haab specifically for Star Wars: Battlefront. That's all I can say right now. Gordy also worked on SWTOR and Kinect: Star Wars.

i-knew-it-gif.gif?gs=a

Time to put this rumor to a rest. No, it is not from TFA. It is music composed by Gordy Haab specifically for Star Wars: Battlefront. That's all I can say right now. Gordy also worked on SWTOR and Kinect: Star Wars.

It is a damn good immitation, though. The most convincing one so far.

Karol

I know (and I meant 'leak' as in 'seep into'), but wouldn't they wait with putting the film's music into the game untill the film was actually out?

Episode I the video game was out a few days before the film was and that used music from the recording sessions for the film. From what I remember about the game, I'm told the music for the game was compiled a short while after the Episode I recordings were completed (hence the amount of music that wasn't actually used in the game included with it)

However, I might suggest that LucasFilm being owned by Disney might have changed things as far as including music from the films in the games is concerned. We won't know for certain until the EpVII OST and the film come out.

He's certainly mastered the art of imitating modern Williams' chaotic jumps between every section of the orchestra every 2 bars.

He, he...exactly. I pray to the film score Gods that the new STAR WARS music is more coherent, thematically and structurally, than some of the action music in TINTIN and INDY 4. He showed us he still has the chops in that department with HARRY POTTER 3, but that's quite a few years ago now.

I'm really hopeful War Horse was Williams experimenting with a new style of action writing, albeit only briefly, in No Man's Land. Kinetic and energetic, thematic with refreshingly streamlined orchestration. None of this jumping around to every section of the orchestra (irritating xylophone hits abound! And yes, I'm looking at you, Grievous and the Droids!)

To be honest, KOTCS did a better job aping the thematic scoring of 80's Williams than the prequels. Complete Jungle Chase is brimming with action renditions of Irina's, Indy's, Marion's and Mutt's themes while introducing sequence-specific themes that only appear in Jungle Chase.

Very little of the prequel action music has any clear or concise purpose, nor references to the themes JW established in each film. The only time he came close was the climax of ROTS and even that was victim of tracking. I think JW deserves the benefit of the doubt though; he was likely writing a score to a mess of animatics and, well, the prequels were just awful films. Across The Stars is a sensational piece but Williams was obviously channeling Out of Africa while writing it; no human is capable of writing a theme so beautiful while seeking inspiration from Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen rolling around in grassy meadows.

He's certainly mastered the art of imitating modern Williams' chaotic jumps between every section of the orchestra every 2 bars.

He, he...exactly. I pray to the film score Gods that the new STAR WARS music is more coherent, thematically and structurally, than some of the action music in TINTIN and INDY 4. He showed us he still has the chops in that department with HARRY POTTER 3, but that's quite a few years ago now.

A few years ago? That was a decade ago!

A decade is a mere blink in the life of a film music fan!

I'm really hopeful War Horse was Williams experimenting with a new style of action writing, albeit only briefly, in No Man's Land. Kinetic and energetic, thematic with refreshingly streamlined orchestration. None of this jumping around to every section of the orchestra (irritating xylophone hits abound! And yes, I'm looking at you, Grievous and the Droids!)

To be honest, KOTCS did a better job aping the thematic scoring of 80's Williams than the prequels. Complete Jungle Chase is brimming with action renditions of Irina's, Indy's, Marion's and Mutt's themes while introducing sequence-specific themes that only appear in Jungle Chase.

Very little of the prequel action music has any clear or concise purpose, nor references to the themes JW established in each film. The only time he came close was the climax of ROTS and even that was victim of tracking. I think JW deserves the benefit of the doubt though; he was likely writing a score to a mess of animatics and, well, the prequels were just awful films. Across The Stars is a sensational piece but Williams was obviously channeling Out of Africa while writing it; no human is capable of writing a theme so beautiful while seeking inspiration from Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen rolling around in grassy meadows.

I love Williams' xylophone sound but a return to the emotional bravado of the War Horse action cues would be preferable.

A decade is a mere blink in the life of a film music fan!

Well it took 20 years for an expanded Jurassic Park OST, so I'm inclined to agree with you!