Jerry Goldsmith's BASIC INSTINCT (1992) - 2015 Quartet 2-CD & 2021 re-issue

http://www.quartetrecords.com/basic-instinct-2-cd.html

Crossing legs! Quartet Records and Studio Canal are proud to present the ultimate 2-CD set of Jerry Goldsmiths Academy Award® nominated noir score for Paul Verhoevens classic erotic thriller Basic Instinct (1992), starring Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone.

For his second collaboration with director Paul Verhoeven (after Total Recall), Jerry Goldsmith composed one of his most famous and iconic scoresatmospheric and sensual, elegantly orchestrated, with a memorable main theme reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann.

At the time of the films premiere, Varèse Sarabande issued a fabulous 45-minutes CD produced by Goldsmith himselfa masterful presentation of the scores highlights. Ten years later, Prometheus Records released an expanded version, with much of the music presented in film order, but still missing a pivotal moment and several alternate takes. Now, 23 years later, Quartet Records has finally done justice to this Goldsmith masterpiece. This new release includes all of the music recorded for the film, with correct edits, actual track titles, An Unending Story as heard in the film, and alternate takes recorded by Goldsmith for the shorter R-rated version of the film. Also included is the original album produced by the composer, featuring some slightly shorter cues and an alternate ending. All of the music was recorded in London with Goldsmith conducting The National Philharmonic Orchestra.

Both film score and album version have been entirely remixed and remastered from the original digital multi-track tapes by original scoring mixer Bruce Botnick for this editionthe score has, quite simply, never sounded better! Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Bruce Botnick, the album includes in-depth liner notes from film music writer Daniel Schweiger in a lavishly designed 24-page full-color booklet.

I have no idea why Stefan didn't post the track list, so here you go

DISC ONE: THE FILM SCORE

01. Main Title / The First Victim (3:45)

02. Catherine and Roxy (5:17)

03. Shadows / Profile (1:30)

04. I Dont Smoke (2:48)

05. Crossed Legs (4:53)

06. Beth and Nick (2:24)

07. Night Life (6:04)

08. Home Visit (1:12)

09. Your Wife Knew (1:48)

10. Whats Between You? (0:55)

11. One Shot (1:28)

12. Kitchen Help (4:02)

13. Pillow Talk (5:04)

14. Morning After (2:32)

15. Roxy Loses (3:39)

16. Catherines Sorrow (2:44)

17. Wrong Name (2:24)

18. Shes Really Sick (1:33)

19. It Wont Sell (1:06)

20. The Games Are Over (5:53)

21. Evidence (1:44)

22. An Unending Story / End Titles (9:08)

Total Disc Time: 71:59

DISC TWO: THE 1992 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

01. Main Title (Theme from Basic Instinct) (2:15)

02. Crossed Legs (4:53)

03. Night Life (6:04)

04. Kitchen Help (3:59)

05. Pillow Talk (5:01)

06. Morning After (2:31)

07. The Games Are Over (5:39)

08. Catherines Sorrow (2:43)

09. Roxy Loses (3:18)

10. An Unending Story (7:58)

Bonus Tracks

11. The First Victim (R rated alternate) (1:37)

12. Beth and Nick (R rated alternate) (2:13)

13. Pillow Talk (R rated alternate) (4:51)

14. Thats Real Music (0:27)

Total Disc Time: 53:34

Total Album Time: 125:33

Limited Collector's Edition of 2000 units.

That's the problem, i now get around 1€ for old albums on ebay and pay 25 for a new one. There are sound issues with BI - an irritating high-pitched buzzing sound running through some of the cues - but it has to be seen if THAT is gone.

But neither is the sound of the Prometheus bad nor is it missing much, apart from that one finale cue insert, right?

The blurb mentions the Prometheus version was "missing a pivotal moment and several alternate takes."

That's the problem, i now get around 1 for old albums on ebay and pay 25 for a new one. There are sound issues with BI - an irritating high-pitched buzzing sound running through some of the cues - but it has to be seen if THAT is gone.

There are samples up to listen to here:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/basic-instinct-2-cd.html

Hmmm since I already own the OST and the Prometheus complete version I think I'll pass.

I think I'll pass.

lotrmoments_6.jpg

1393232082-1407421051.jpg

My wallet says I must. Otherwise it will diminish and go into bankrupcy. If this is still around in a couple of months I might consider it.

While undeniably a great score and having owned the original release, exchanging that for the Prometheus, I'm finding out that I prefer listening to the condensed album. This new one holds both, but I can just as easily program the cues on my Prometheus CD.

Is this a quality thriller score then? I only ever remember the awesome dirty old man opening cue.

It's one of Jerry's finest.

http://youtu.be/xwdAXiJGXHA

Check out around the 3:40 mark till 4:05 for a musical recreation of Michael Douglas' orgasm!

What? Basic Instinct is a rubbish movie, I've only seen it once.

Yeah, and? You can pick out rather subdued action cues from MINORITY REPORT and can't tell if an upfront, Oscar-nominated score hugely-influential 90's Goldsmith is worth a shit? I mean, seriously...

That Minority Report cue you refer to is pretty much the only music I can remember about that movie as well, because I don't care much for it as sci-fi flicks go. I'm no big score enthusiast; my entire knowledge of movie music is based almost entirely on movies I've seen and enjoyed.

What? Basic Instinct is a rubbish movie, I've only seen it once.

What, were you drunk that one time? Because it's a great thriller. It broke new ground for revealing hidden areas of the female body. :P

I saw it in my late teens and thought it was by the numbers but mildly entertaining outside of Sharon's stupendously hot body. But come on, it's a bad movie when you look at it.

Is this a quality thriller score then? I only ever remember the awesome dirty old man opening cue.

It's one of Jerry's finest.

http://youtu.be/xwdAXiJGXHA

Check out around the 3:40 mark till 4:05 for a musical recreation of Michael Douglas' orgasm!

I'm going to listen to this recommendation later on headphones, to do it justice. Because I'd love it to be good.

Can someone explain what are the 20 seconds missing from An unending story - End Credits, that were on the Prometheus?

At ca. 04:30 the movie has a different insert for a newly edited sequence that is about 12 seconds long before going back to the album version. Really no biggie.

Bonus Tracks

11. The First Victim (R rated alternate) (1:37)

12. Beth and Nick (R rated alternate) (2:13)

13. Pillow Talk (R rated alternate) (4:51)

I wonder if these bonus tracks hold some kind of subliminal message. Or maybe not safe for work or children's ears.

I haven't got the Prometheus. I always regarded the original album as one of those perfectly balanced soundtracks.

But,.. this might be worth getting in any case. It's a top 10 Goldsmith score, surely.

Karol

Can someone explain what are the 20 seconds missing from An unending story - End Credits, that were on the Prometheus?

At ca. 04:30 the movie has a different insert for a newly edited sequence that is about 12 seconds long before going back to the album version. Really no biggie.

I see this point of the cue here is also included in the OST (I have it).

So, we get this version in the album version that is in CD2, and we get the version with the new insert in CD 1, right?

On 09/10/2015 at 1:53 PM, Quintus said:

Lee, its a very solid score, yes. Well worth picking up.

Liking or disliking the movie doesn't matter; Either way, Jerry scored the shit out of it. Great main theme and many great set piece cues.