A question about Back to the Future

Well, there really was only a split-second margin for Marty to hit the wire.

And remember how Doc set an alarm clock? "The minute this alarm goes off, you hit the gas!"

Never mind that this doesn't take into account any variations in acceleration that could cause Marty to miss his mark, the car actually stalls the moment the alarm goes off! Marty doesn't drive off until a few moments later. So either he broke the DeLorean's acceleration record, or Doc miscalculated the moment the alarm should have gone off!

OK, the alarm trick would work. Doc would have calculated the distance to accelerate based on the downbeat of a new minute, no seconds required.

• 11 months later...

Not sure if this belongs here, but I didn't want to start a whole new topic for this one question and seing as this thread discusses lots of BTTF-related stuff...

Has anyone read the BTTF books? Would you recommend them or not? As part of my new BTTF phase, I'm currently considering to buy them (that is if Amazon.com is a little more cooperative) but read that book one is great but 2-3 are written for six-year-olds. Opinions?

This discussion reminds me of an argument I posited years ago (which to my surprise later became a plot point on Big Ban Theory) which was that if Indiana Jones simply stayed home in Raiders, the outcome would have been essentially the same, or even better for the Allies.  Either the Nazi's don't find the Ark, or if they do they open it and get face melted. Either way, all of Indy's efforts actually amounted to very little in terms of the Ark (though poor Marion probably would have gotten tortured and killed had the Nazi's found her themselves).

Also, without Indy's involvement, the Ark is flown to Germany and most likely opened by Hitler. In that case, pack your bags boys, war's over.

Point being? It's a movie, go with it.

I read something only suggesting the BttF original novelization was bizarre and the very opposite of good.

Not sure if that is true though or if a second edition was made with that improved.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

This discussion reminds me of an argument I posited years ago (which to my surprise later became a plot point on Big Ban Theory) which was that if Indiana Jones simply stayed home in Raiders, the outcome would have been essentially the same, or even better for the Allies.  Either the Nazi's don't find the Ark, or if they do they open it and get face melted. Either way, all of Indy's efforts actually amounted to very little in terms of the Ark (though poor Marion probably would have gotten tortured and killed had the Nazi's found her themselves).

Also, without Indy's involvement, the Ark is flown to Germany and most likely opened by Hitler. In that case, pack your bags boys, war's over.

Point being? It's a movie, go with it.

I figured that on my first viewing. Never bothered me though; it's still one of my most favourite movies ever.

Sure, Indy might as well not have been there. But he didn't know that going in and it still made for an amazing adventure.

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

The whole "The Nazis still would have all died if Indy never intervened" thing has been around for years.  Maybe not discussed much with others until the internet era

I know! I started it. I mentioned to Wil Wheaton at Comicon one year and it just ballooned from there. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't watch that show, but certainly discussed that theory with people in the 90s

I wonder if we ever discussed it.  Where in Mass are you? Did you attend Boston Con in 99 wearing a Nute Gunray outfit?

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Creationist!

Curse you! Beat me to it.

21 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I wonder if we ever discussed it.  Where in Mass are you? Did you attend Boston Con in 99 wearing a Nute Gunray outfit?

Grew up in Holden, went to college in North Andover, then lived in Auburn, West Boylston, North Attleboro, and Douglas.

Never attended Boston Con.