Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

Yes, Legendary's contract for the Godzilla license expires once Godzilla vs Kong is completed. The Monsterverse will carry on past 2020, but at the present it seems Godzilla might not be a part of it once Godzilla vs Kong is completed. Of course, things could change if these next two films are successful but Toho is likely to want to negotiate a new contract with different terms to allow their own Cinematic Universe to exist - at present, Toho can't make films in the same years the Legendary Godzilla films are made, which is why there were new Godzilla films from Toho in 2016, 2017 and this year only, with none for the next two years from them.

I find plenty to care about. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So wait, Legendary's license expires?  Two more movies and this franchise is gone?  I mean I'd be ok with that, but it does mean those movies better be cool.

Sorry, I couldn't bother to care about the Japanese franchise.

Eeeeugh, Godzilla '14 is (mostly) awful. I'm not yet convinced Gareth Edwards is human.

Skull Island was awesome though! And super-duper excited for the next Godzilla, seeing as I love Trick R Treat and Krampus.

I thought the 2014 film was mostly good, but I feel that it could have handled Godzilla better and I always hoped that one day there would be a version released that had more of the monster fights. I think it and Kong: Skull Island were liklely valuable learning experiences on how these films should be handled.

I really liked Godzilla.  I also really like The Day After Tomorrow, so maybe I just have a soft spot for badly written family melodrama incorporated with monster/disaster tropes.

I thought it was nothing but a big prick tease, revealing budget limitations. That's worked in movies like Jaws and Alien, because they had great scripts and awesome characters. But Edwards had boring characters and killed the best one off in the first act just for shits and giggles!

I can watch The Boogens and enjoy it when the monsters aren't around (especially considering they don't really do anything until the last few minutes).

Godzilla '14, though, I missed the big guy something fierce. Not to mention that despicable waste of Bryan Cranston. 

TBF, the 1954 film and the 2016 film, both good films, held back a lot on Godzilla as well. Godzilla doesn't even show up in the flesh until about half-way through the 1954 film, and in the 2016 film, a lot more time is spent on government bureaucracy and how the government responds to Godzilla than on Godzilla itself.

The biggest issue of the 2014 film has been highlighted many a time and is indeed the wasteful use of Bryan Cranston - especially as the film's marketing campaign implied he would be the main human character of the film. It would have been much better to let Cranston's character live, and try to learn more about these monsters.

And Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins are usually awesome, but didn't have much to do but look in awe and deliver yadda yadda exposition.

I do wonder in KOTM if the Stranger Things kid will be a modern, Western update of the Miki Saegusa character from the 90s Japanese movies. She seems a fit for the role.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sorry, I couldn't bother to care about the Japanese franchise.

Shin Godzilla is great, you should check it out! Puts Godzilla back as an awe-inspiring, terrifying force of nature created by the destructive folly of humans.

I couldn't get over how amazing the effects were in Shin Godzilla, even if some shots went a bit over-the-top. I didn't expect that level of photorealism from a relatively low budget overseas monster movie. And you really feel the huge scale of Tokyo in that one more than any other Godzilla movie. Such a massive friggin city.

It helps that they made Godzilla a whopping 118 metres in height for Shin Godzilla, the biggest a live-action incarnation of Godzilla until last year (when Godzilla Earth topped that at over 300 metres).

I don't think it would have worked as well had Godzilla been closer to its original height.

Modern buildings dwarf original Godzilla. Although curiously for the Millennium series films, they dropped his height down to 50-60 metres, then back up to 100m for Final Wars.

12 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I couldn't get over how amazing the effects were in Shin Godzilla, even if some shots went a bit over-the-top. I didn't expect that level of photorealism from a relatively low budget overseas monster movie. And you really feel the huge scale of Tokyo in that one more than any other Godzilla movie. Such a massive friggin city.

For sure! And the way the special effects evolved throughout of the course of film (such as through the goofy, corny first form and its evolution to the incredible-looking final form), is a narrative device you don't see too often. It really pushed the tone from being confused and slightly on edge to its gradual and deliberate descent into horror and helplessness. And when the movie let loose, some of the shots left me sitting in the theater with awed goosebumps, it was so powerful.

Man that was a fine movie; next to Manchester by the Sea, it was my favorite film of 2016 by far! When I saw it I was in a theater filled with a bunch of self-identified "otaku" (you know the type), who hated the film because it wasn't monster in bogus rubber suits smacking each other around, and actually had cojones.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

For sure! And the way the special effects evolved throughout of the course of film (such as through the goofy, corny first form and its evolution to the incredible-looking final form), is a narrative device you don't see too often. And when the movie let loose, some of the shots left me sitting in the theater with awed goosebumps, it was so powerful.

Man that was a fine movie; next to Manchester by the Sea, it was my favorite film of 2016 by far! When I saw it I was in a theater filled with a bunch of self-identified "otaku" (you know the type), who hated the film because it wasn't monster in bogus rubber suits smacking each other around, and actually had cojones.

I wonder if those 'otaku' types hated the 1954 film or the 1984 film too - both of those were 'just' Godzilla with no monsters to fight and only a city as Godzilla's enemy.

It was the first Japanese Godzilla movie I'd seen in a cinema, which was an exclusive limited run in Sydney's George St cinema complex. Some of the people who turned up made the experience one of the most bizarre, memorable but sadly infuriating movie experiences I've ever had. There were even four early-20-something girls sitting behind me who did nothing but giggle and cackle at it. I kept wondering what they were doing there. Was it a uni assignment?

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

It was the first Japanese Godzilla movie I'd seen in a cinema, which was an exclusive limited run in Sydney's George St cinema complex. Some of the people who turned up made the experience one of the most bizarre, memorable but sadly infuriating movie experiences I've ever had. There were even four early-20-something girls sitting behind me who did nothing but giggle and cackle at it. I kept wondering what they were doing there. Was it a uni assignment?

Holy crap, I had the same thing happen! A character would say "Hai" in a normal conversation and these chucklebunnies behind me would start giggling!

7 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I wonder if those 'otaku' types hated the 1954 film or the 1984 film too - both of those were 'just' Godzilla with no monsters to fight and only a city as Godzilla's enemy.

I think perhaps more than Godzilla being solo, the film didn't fit their idea of a Godzilla film being goofy, mindless monster mayhem, where you watch it with friends and laugh. So yes, I'm sure they'd hate the 1954 film, too.

I wonder what they think of the Heisei movies? That chapter of Godzilla history was a serious attempt at making the films a single linear continuity with more grounded origins for the monsters, for better or for worse.

Any chance we won't get a terribly forced and uncomfortable romance plot in the Godzilla 2014 sequel? 

And more than 4 minutes of screen time for Godzilla?

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/12/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-first-look/

Godzilla's had a design upgrade: beefier torso, larger dorsal plates and an upgrade to its atomic breath which is now much more powerful. Also, a bit of plot: at the start of the film, Godzilla hasn't been seen since the MUTO incident.

It's looking like Godzilla: King of the Monsters will be at SDCC, potentially with a trailer.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Hard to tell from that image but I hope they haven't altered his design too much. He was pretty much perfect in the 2014 film.

They've made his dorsal plates larger and more jagged but the design sticks closely to the 2014 design.

Just now, Holko said:

Looks a bit fat.

Not as fat as late Heisei or Godzilla Earth.

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I'm a bit meh on the friggin kidnapping subplot. Reminds me of Miki being kidnapped by the Yakuza in Godzilla vs Space Godzilla. Hopefully it takes up very little screentime.

Apparently, according to those who claim to have seen test screenings during post-production, the human story is much like the late Showa era more than anything.

I would like it to be Desplat. But wouldn't mind another composer get a chance too. For some reason I would really love to hear a Danny Elfman Godzilla score.

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I would like it to be Desplat. But wouldn't mind another composer get a chance too. For some reason I would really love to hear a Danny Elfman Godzilla score.

Karol

I think I agree.  Godzilla's the kind of franchise where I don't think I care about continuity of music.  I'd like to hear another composer's take.  Elfman could be cool!  McCreary would be my pick.  This would be a good first "major" Hollywood film for him, still waiting on him to get one...

The main Godzilla theme appeared in the Ready Player One score during the Mechagodzilla sequence (though the pitch was changed).

1 minute ago, Gistech said:

The main Godzilla theme appeared in the Ready Player One score during the Mechagodzilla sequence (though the pitch was changed).

Do you know if it's on the OST?

2 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Godzilla vs Space Godzilla.

:lol: Please tell me you're making that up.

2 minutes ago, Gistech said:

It is, yes. "Looking For A Truck" from about 2:15.

While we're on the subject...where's the 1941 quote?

Just now, Richard said:

:lol: Please tell me you're making that up.

Nope. That's the penultimate film of the Hesei Godzilla era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._SpaceGodzilla

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

While we're on the subject...where's the 1941 quote?

I've never heard the score to 1941, so I'll let somebody who has answer that.