Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Have you watched Shin Godzilla yet, or have you been too busy in the new country home chopping wood?

I haven't yet!  Because it's on Netflix and therefore very easy to access, last night I tried the first anime movie from last year.  I got bored halfway through and turned it off.  It's a really cool concept and world, but boy the actual script is a massive dud on a scene-to-scene/character level

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I haven't yet!  Because it's on Netflix and therefore very easy to access, last night I tried the first anime movie from last year.  I got bored halfway through and turned it off.  It's a really cool concept and world, but boy the actual script is a massive dud on a scene-to-scene/character level

You don't have to lie about it.

"Daddy Disco, we're bored watching you cut up wood. We want Nintendo Labos."

"This--*chops*--is better than Labos, kids. You don't need *chops* cheap cardboard when you have such *chops* quality wood."

"But Daddy Disco, we want to build a piano and stuff!"

"You're gonna *chops* build a piano out of this wood, and you're going to *chops* like it!!"

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Just figured you were going to embrace the rural life at its fullest.

My new house is in an in-town neighborhood.  Also, I grew up on a tobacco farm and still have only split wood once in my life.  It sucks.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

My new house is in an in-town neighborhood.  Also, I grew up on a tobacco farm and still have only split wood once in my life.  It sucks.

Then you really...did watch the anime movie instead of Shin Godzilla? :(

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Then you really...did watch the anime movie instead of Shin Godzilla? :(

It just came up during random Netflix browsing.  Very easy to say "Eh, why not?"

• 1 month later...

I watched Shin Godzilla for the first time yesterday. 

I think it's really a rather fantastic movie. Leave it to the Japanese to do it right. The concept of the film is very basic, which is where its ingenuity lies, and the special effects are awesome. The wide shots of Godzilla in Tokyo look eerily realistic.

At about 2 hours runtime, however, it could easily be 15-20 minutes shorter. The scenes with Godzilla are perfect, but the offender is the terrible and borderline absurd pseudo-political gibberish. Especially in the last 30 minutes, it drags the film down to near unwatchable depths, putting the worst pseudo-intellectual dialogues of the Heisei era to shame.

General rule of thumb: don't produce a Godzilla movie with him as the main antagonist, with as much as 20 minutes of straight, uninterrupted terrible acting.

Especially when you make the Japanese premier minister and his staff out to be utter buffoons.

"Sir, this gigantic, hostile, unknown creature is annihilating our capital in record time, you may want to authorize the military to kill it."

"But it may cause the creature to get aggressive!"

"Sir, it's mowing down the city already!"

"We can't have the military operate in the city, civilians may get hurt!"

"Sir, they are being MOWED DOWN AS WE SPEAK!"

"You want me to decide NOW? I need a good night's sleep over this!"

"You're a worthless piece of trash, give us the okay now!"

"I understand ..."

34 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

That whole exchange was apparently satire to lampoon the Japanese government's bureaucratic bedwetting excesses.

Correct, especially in light of the tsunami and Fukushima disasters.

The bit that made me laugh about that whole exchange was the irony of 'civilians must not receive fire' - because Godzilla pretty much killed those two people as it fled back to the ocean anyway.

• 1 month later...

The monsters got exactly the right amount of screen time in Godzilla 2014.  I hope they get less screen time in this one.  Just because all the complainers who are wrong make me roll my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The monsters got exactly the right amount of screen time in Godzilla 2014.  I hope they get less screen time in this one.  Just because all the complainers who are wrong make me roll my eyes. 

I hope there are no monsters in it at all!

• 1 month later...

Today was Tokyo Comic-Con and the designs for Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra and Godzilla's updated design were revealed. Very little new footage was shown. There was no new trailer, but a new teaser consisting of random shots inserted into that Millie Bobbie Brown teaser from months back (one such shot shows Monarch recovered the Female MUTO's head and are storing it somewhere). Ghidorah and Rodan appear pretty faithful while Mothra is quite a departure.

2019_Godzilla.jpg2019_Rodan.jpg2019_Ghidorah.jpg2019_Mothra.jpg

Some further discussion from Dougherty about the creature designs, their roars and calls, and the inclusion of both Godzilla's Theme and Mothra's Song.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-01/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-film-monster-design-concepts-figures-unveiled/.140218

I love these designs, Ghidorah looks truly magnificent.

I love the throwback to the original 54 design for Godzilla's updated spines.

King Ghidorah   🤗 🤗 🤗 🤗 🤗

The speed of Godzilla at the end seems a tad weird.  Who cares.  I can't wait for this movie.

The first trailer from July had me in tears.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This universe has already established Godzilla as a benevolent being, just short of friendly and cuddly. He only acknowledged a person once in the 2014 film, but that recent TV spot suggests he interacts with them somewhat.

On 3/28/2019 at 2:42 PM, gkgyver said:

I really hope Godzilla isn't portrayed as overly tame to humans. 

You know, he's not some enemy trying to evade you. He's just an animal.

The wondercon footage has made its way to the internet......

All I can say is Ghidorah’s first appearance is stunning.

I was hoping to hear some of 🐻 ‘s score but it was hard to make out any music. Hopefully it wasn’t the actual music because

that stupid Bbbrrrrraaaahhhhmmmm sound they used in the 2014 film appeared when Godzilla came on screen in the new clip.