Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I just realized that KOTM used part of the original idea for Godzilla 1998, which was that Godzilla originally came from Atlantis.

In KOTM, the Atlantians just worshipped him.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Well, we don't know that. They did paintings of him.

The director did answer that, to an extent: they were the first civilization to come across Godzilla. It's specifically stated in a couple of places that Godzilla hails from the Permian era, at the very least, when the radiation levels allowed Godzilla to live on the surface.

So it's finally reached the opening weekend total of the 2014 movie at $93 million. Dismal result for such a good movie. I know people go "blah blah, international is what matters!" - yeah but the studios get even less of that after cinemas get their slice, and then it's split between companies.

Unfortunately not enough people were interested.

Footage from Godzilla Vs Kong was shown at CineEurope. Seems Warner Brothers has decided to hold firm with the March 2020 date.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-bros-godzilla-vs-kong-it2-joker-wonder-woman-lionsgate-rian-johnson-knives-out-studiocanal-cineeurope-1202633778/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm beginning to wonder if people expect these to be 'another Final Wars' and are disappointed when they're not.

Just now, The Original said:

Shin Godzilla is replacing that one as Joe Public's perception of Japanese Godzilla.

Ironic, given Shin Godzilla isn't on screen for a large portion of the movie and a lot of the movie deals with 'boring human drama' (the cornerstone of these films ever since 1954).

It does feature many breathtaking special effects where I wasn't sure whether I was looking at a CGI effect or a practical effect. The Shin Godzilla computer model was stunningly rendered and composited into the surrounding urban environment, with a lot of lingering shots so you can absorb the imagery. I reckon Western audiences appreciate that and find it refreshing.

To be fair, for the most part I would have believed somebody telling me that Shin Godzilla was a practical effect (bar one shot at the end of the "Who Will Know" sequence). Apparently Hideaki Anno stated he wanted Shin to have the texture of a rubber suit instead of an actual animal, and oddly enough that sold the illusion more, I think.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

It did indeed!

Plus, I like this gal's speculation about what might happen if Shin faced up against Legendary Godzilla. Seems like a mashup fans are curious about.

There's a guy who's been working on a pretty decent-looking animation for the past year.

There was another animation but it looked quite 'jittery' by comparison and Shin won by firing his atomic beam straight into Legendary's mouth (after a beam battle)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There will be more Godzilla in the Monsterverse post-GvK - Toho is extremely happy with the direction.

https://www.inverse.com/article/57875-godzilla-at-san-diego-comic-con-interview

A Twitter chain from somebody at SDCC:

On 7/6/2019 at 11:59 PM, The Original said:

Eric Roberts. Hehe

IMG_20190707_145724.jpg

That was a dumb, awful film. There were hardly any monsters in it.

Anyhoo, the news about Toho wanting to continue the MonsterVerse after Godzilla vs Kong makes my heart sing. Even if they did it without Legendary, I'd still love it if this continuity was maintained for years to come.

They want to have both a Westernized Godzilla and the Japanese Godzilla and have them 'evolve' together, which is definitely an intriguing thing,

Toho needs to continue to step up their game both visually and acting wise. They need to hire better non Japanese actors and continue to push their VFX. 

Shin was was a step in the right direction.

Doesn't every Godzilla era end the same way? 

An original movie for a new era, which is successful, then sequels that can't keep the hype up, because people realize even though they love Godzilla, they are really not amazing cinema feats, so they become less successful, then they end the series with either a death or a monster gang bang.

• 1 month later...

Hmm there's an uncomfortable truth to this theory. Western audiences demand relatability, meaning they want to be afraid of the monsters. To them, being in awe of them and watching a film that expresses reverence for them is icky and unfamiliar for some reason. Kaiju cinema that KOTM presented was just too far out there for normies – it's too niche and not "four quadrant enough".

I disagree that because people want to see monsters in antagonistic roles (all in all, quite reasonable), they don’t want to be in awe of them. “Fear and wonder - powerful combination.”

There's different kinds of awe. There's fearful awe, like that of an antagonistic horror creature, and amazed awe, which KOTM wants its audience to feel towards the monsters, which only seems to appeal to hardcore fans and nuts like me.

I think a lot of people in Hollywood, and casual movie goers, overestimate the Godzilla franchise. Godzilla has a cult following that just "gets it". Even the best Godzilla movies of the last 50 years, save for the original and Shin Godzilla, were neither "good movies", nor loved by critics, nor extraordinarily successful at the box office from a blockbuster point of view.

If you turn Godzilla into "a good movie", you lose the appeal to Godzilla and Kaiju fans. If you do a proper Godzilla in the Toho sense, you are in danger of losing appeal to the casual western movie fan, who will think it's shallow and silly.

To find that sweet spot in between is something KOTM does quite well.

Godzilla is yet another franchise that Hollywood discovered, and thought it could milk it, without understanding what they had at hand. The Godzilla appeal goes well beyond big monsters destroying buildings.

The lack of praise for this film by western film critics is a compliment.

Godzilla movies' appeal is, to an extent, that they are indeed trashy and shallow. But that's something Hollywood's polish can't allow, so KOTM is as close as we will get.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:23 PM, gkgyver said:

The Godzilla appeal goes well beyond big monsters destroying buildings.

Godzilla movies' appeal is, to an extent, that they are indeed trashy and shallow. But that's something Hollywood's polish can't allow, so KOTM is as close as we will get.

So ... what's the appeal again? Trashy and shallow?

• 1 month later...

The trailer to Godzilla vs Kong is rumoured to be debuting soon. No official date set however.

Meanwhile, fans are going crazy at Kong's beard in this new HD version of the teaser banner. A positive response to his more hobo look, surprisingly!

IMG_20191015_101721_134.jpg

• 1 month later...