The Force Awakens final trailer MUSIC discussion

Balahkay

The only concert version of the love theme i can find is the midi version on this page

http://moviethemes.net/starwars.html

Is there an actual recording and did Williams personally arrange it/orchestrate it?

There's Gerhardt's version, the City of Prague Philharmonic did a version and Roy Budd and LSO recorded a version on the album Space Movie Themes.

I played it on my radio show a few years ago.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/star-wars-35th-anniversary/

-Erik-

I've heard the Gerhardt version. Didn't really like it. Too slow for once and I don't like the statement of Leia in the middle, dilutes the effect of the love theme I think.

I really like the arrangement in the midi I posted. I wish someone would record that arrangement with a proper orchestra.

I've heard the Gerhardt version. Didn't really like it. Too slow for once and I don't like the statement of Leia in the middle, dilutes the effect of the love theme I think.

I really like the arrangement in the midi I posted. I wish someone would record that arrangement with a proper orchestra.

Interesting. I've always considered the theme both a love theme for Leia and Han AND Han's own theme. Leia's cameo brings the two character themes together.

-Erik-

Interesting. I've always considered the theme both a love theme for Leia and Han AND Han's own theme. Leia's cameo brings the two character themes together.

-Erik-

Could be. I suppose I've never associated it as such because it doesn't seem to mesh with Han on either an archetypal or character level.

Its a curious choice to be Han's theme. It is a very melodramatic, a very longing theme. Han would have a masculine theme, not something like this. I read somewhere the original fanfare is supposed to be Luke's theme.

I don't think Han has a theme. Even if he does, this one seems an unlikely candidate. A Han theme would be more heroic and masculine, wouldn't it?

Its a curious choice to be Han's theme. It is a very melodramatic, a very longing theme. Han would have a masculine theme, not something like this. I read somewhere the original fanfare is supposed to be Luke's theme.

I don't think Han has a theme. Even if he does, this one seems an unlikely candidate. A Han theme would be more heroic and masculine, wouldn't it?

You don't view Han Solo as a metrosexual icon?

You don't view Han Solo as a metrosexual icon?

He is obviously in touch with his emotions!

It definitely functions as Han's leitmotif in Empire. There are scenes scored with that theme that don't have anything to do with Leia or the love story. But in Jedi, it serves as the love theme only.

Conrad Pope seemed to think Williams was involved in this. He also intimated that there have been no orchestrators involved with the score.

I may have misheard/misinterpreted some of this so don't quote me, but it seems he's saying similar things on Facebook.

Conrad Pope seemed to think Williams was involved in this. He also intimated that there have been no orchestrators involved with the score.

I may have misheard/misinterpreted some of this so don't quote me, but it seems he's saying similar things on Facebook.

Interesting. I've seen nothing from the Pope on my feed.

The Han-Leia theme in Empire works mostly as a tragic plot device in musical terms. It doubles as for the romance that is about to be doomed because at the end Han gets carbonized at Bespin. The same feeling of tragedy and despair comes roaring back in Episode VII. I have a very good feeling that Williams intends to use it again in the movie. I'll have to check with my Bothan spies in the mean time.

Yeah, maybe TGP is in a private conversation with Pope (or he is Pope?! :o:o:o )

I have eyes and ears everywhere!

You know this? How?

Yeah, maybe TGP is in a private conversation with Pope (or he is Pope?! :o:o:o )

Or such a post may have been buried in all the ruckus about the Canadian election tonight. Not that anyone outside our borders care...but it's been a big night for the Kanadians! And the Jays won too!

Well what can I say about the music that is not (or possibly might be) Williams? Not much. I await the soundtrack album to get my authentic John Williams Star Wars kicks.

I had a feeling the whole orchestra was playing unisono.

One voice, one mind, one body!

Can someone PM please when we get confirmation about this music one way or another. Saves me having to trawl through countless posts of insufferably tedious speculation. Thanks :)

Wait for and judge the soundtrack in the movie as you always do Quint my friend.

Even if JW had nothing to do with it and even if it's just a trailer, I think it's really sad to see Star Wars music treated like that. Sign o' the times, as Prince sang.

Raw material for the machines to mold. Raw material.

Thought the music was very respectful to the themes and also gave each one a new spin we've never really heard Williams do with them. Plus the interwebs is littered with new comments heralding Williams as a genius. "To all those who say he's lost it, he just gave you a middle baton!" read one.

Would you rather utterly generic sampled noise like most trailer "music"? And I use the term VERY lightly.

I wasn't quite so enamored with the "spin" as some.

You didn't like hearing a fresh take on Han Solo and the Princess?

Granted anyone could've written the Imperial Match part but the minimalist main title rendition at the end was very clever.

Thought the music was very respectful to the themes and also gave each one a new spin we've never really heard Williams do with them. Plus the interwebs is littered with new comments heralding Williams as a genius. "To all those who say he's lost it, he just gave you a middle baton!" read one.

Anyone who knows Williams and his music well knows he just doesn't write like that, especially in terms of orchestration. So Joe Casual is not noticing any difference ("Da Force song with za chorus!! SO EPIC!!"), but please let's not kid ourselves.

As bland as the overamplified and overreverbed beginning in the piano sounds by itself, I quite like that it's the chord progression from Han and Leia... I didn't notice it right now,but by the time the theme starts I had a real 'shock of recognition' moment :)

The overall trailerization of the themes is a pity, yes... I guess nowadays that's hard to avoid, though I'd have hoped Star Wars would be more immune to this than other trailers.

Can someone PM please when we get confirmation about this music one way or another. Saves me having to trawl through countless posts of insufferably tedious speculation. Thanks :)

Wait for and judge the soundtrack in the movie as you always do Quint my friend.

No I mean the John Williams in relation to this trailer music question :)

My query seemed to be lost on the last page (last post of last page always gets lost), but can anyone please confirm that we're hearing "The Force" theme in the second part of the trailer?

My query seemed to be lost on the last page (last post of last page always gets lost), but can anyone please confirm that we're hearing "The Force" theme in the second part of the trailer?

Yes, it's the theme. Don't understand why you need confirmation. It's a pretty straightforward rendition.

Yes, it's the theme. Don't understand why you need confirmation. It's a pretty straightforward rendition.

I know. I was just surprised nobody talked about it in the thread (just the "Han & Leia" theme). So I was curious if my ears really played tricks on me.

Anyone who knows Williams and his music well knows he just doesn't write like that, especially in terms of orchestration. So Joe Casual is not noticing any difference ("Da Force song with za chorus!! SO EPIC!!"), but please let's not kid ourselves.

I wasn't saying it's Williams. Clearly it isn't.

The point I'm making is that hearing his themes alone is eliciting positive reactions from fans. Who wrote it doesn't matter to Joe Casual but it's not really the point. Disney clearly see how important JW's music and themes are to the fabric of Star Wars; I see this as positive reinforcement that their hearts (at least as far as the music goes) are in the right place. They didn't even lazily take Duel of the Fates and slap it over the top (although arguably that's the prequel-avoidance effect in action).

For example, compare this to the dreck Warner Bros. were serving up for the final Harry Potter trailers; generic trailer garbage.