The Force Awakens final trailer MUSIC discussion

Balahkay

So we can have heated debates on the merits of someone else adapting his themes for trailer music mode.

Better get used to it! I doubt JW will be scoring trailers after VII.

star-wars-d23-timeline-081515.jpg

Star Wars the Musical, Star Wars on Ice, Star Wars VS Alien VS Predator, all the endless possibilities.

The music from the trailer is getting a lot of praise and to be honest: it's incredibly effective..! Williams' melodies really shine here, whoever arranged it.

So are we really surprised that Williams' themes are effective and central to a Star Wars film? Hey, the sun went up again this morning, didn't it?

Yeah. I didn't really like any of the music in this trailer. Save for the final statement of main theme.

The previous trailer did it better.

Karol

I really enjoyed the Han and Leia statement, and the way it emerged from the ponderous harmonies in the strings preceeding. The brass was a bit overbearing in the Force theme, and the hackneyed drum hits didn't do a lot for me. But the final main theme over the logo was beautiful! The trailer in general sounds almost like a Giacchino arrangement to me, not that I'm very familiar with his work.

So are we really surprised that Williams' themes are effective and central to a Star Wars film? Hey, the sun went up again this morning, didn't it?

When did the forum become The Jaded John Williams Fan Network?
Considering the current state of film music in Hollywood, I think it's refreshing and delightful that John's themes are being treated with such reverence. Starting to think many here would prefer a Hans Zimmer Man Of Steel makeover for the series!

It bodes well that Han Solo and the Princess is a recurring theme in the film (hardly surprising though).

I reckon JJ was quite specific about his use of prior themes.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed John Williams who produced this trailer music. He could have just adapted and modernised his themes as requested, made to order. Such a task is not beyond his skill or sensibilities.

:thumbup:

Yeah. I didn't really like any of the music in this trailer. Save for the final statement of main theme.

The previous trailer did it better.

Karol

I agree. I liked the music here, but the renditions in the previous teasers seemed to fit in the Star Wars universe better.

I would fall dead if this trailer music turned out to be Williams. He can do better than this.

When did the forum become The Jaded John Williams Fan Network?
Considering the current state of film music in Hollywood, I think it's refreshing and delightful that John's themes are being treated with such reverence.

Williams' music has always been an integral part to the series' identity (even among the non-film music crowd), hence I find quite surprising that we're noticing how effective it is. Well, never take anything for granted. The problem here (in my very humble opinion) is that this kind of beefed-up, "trailerized" treatment really takes something of its true character away. I perfectly understand the reasoning behind how to market a cool trailer to a modern audience... but a creative and well-edited selection from the OT scores would have worked 10 times better than a synth-y variation like this. The only bit that works very well is the french horn solo on the title card.

My theory is that Williams chose what themes to use and where -and probably edited a rough version, like the Oscars medley- and handed it over to someone else to do it.

And my theory is that Williams had nothing to do with this trailer at all. He probably didn't even watch it yet. You're laying way too much power in the hands of the composer. Williams is not the producer or the director of this. He doesn't call the shots. I doubt they even asked for his opinion about this trailer. This is the marketing department at work, mostly. They frankly don't even care who does the music or how it was done, as long as they think it works.

Feel free to comment. But please maintain some perspective.

Like you said, its only a trailer. It's a disposable item.

Sure.

I perfectly understand the perspective here--they using nostalgia as a marketing tool to sell the movie. And the music is a part of that nostalgia. But at the same time they have to sell the movie to a new audience, likely more sensible to hip and modern sounds. Hence in this sense, it's mission accomplished. Bravo to Disney.

Frankly, I'm immune to the nostalgia marketing. I already knew and will always know that the music of Star Wars is one of the core elements of its nature and success.

The previous trailer got as much stick for it's music as this one. And the first trailer was criticized for not featuring any big new themes.

Some people just cannot be pleased.

The Circle of Life.

The previous trailer got as much stick for it's music as this one. And the first trailer was criticized for not featuring any big new themes.

Some people just cannot be pleased.

The Circle of Life.
The Circle of Shit!

AKA, yes!

Isn't "The Force Theme" in the second part of the trailer, after "Han and the Princess", or am I hearing it wrong?

can anyone please confirm that we're hearing "The Force" theme in the second part of the trailer?

Of course it's the Force Theme - haven't you been familiar with that theme your entire life? I can't believe you needed outside confirmation!

Anyways, it was mentioned in the sixth post of this thread :)

So, will this score be the first Star Wars score to primarily feature that contemporary filmgoers favourite - the vague piano ruminations underscore? Because the trailer suggests YES.

The music used in the trailers is absolutely and unequivocally no indication of the direction the score in the movie will actually be like. It's just trailer music. We haven't heard a note of Williams' actual film score.

The music used in the trailers is absolutely and unequivocally no indication of the direction the score in the movie will actually be like. It's just trailer music. We haven't heard a note of Williams' actual film score.

Indeed!

We cannot assume anything from the trailer music