BloodBoal

Early drafts of the screenplay mentioned Doc sort of showed up and befriended Marty some day, suggesting there had always been some sort of time loop effect going on (Doc might have already known he would sent Marty back into the past at some point). Thankfully, this was dropped and they just happen to know each other in the final film.

These films, and virtually no other time travel film would work if they stuck to actual science.

BTTF 2 would never happen because in the alternate 1985 Doc was commited years ago, so the time machine was never built, which means 2015 Biff could have never gone to 1955 with the Almanac etc etc....

Temporal physics is fascinating, but you can't really tell a fun story with it.

I think #2 only works because of the "ripple effect" described by Doc: the timeline corrects around key people in the story.

In the original 1985, Biff is George's boss and in his home. In the improved 1985, Biff now works for George. We see what effect Marty's intervention has had on Biff's personality.

I shudder to think whether in the original timeline, Biff succeeded in raping Lorraine anyways, though she still married George. In that case, Biff's outburst in the street before getting the almanac falls flat.

#6, what if the almanac, being from the future, was future aware? It kept rewriting itself based on how athletes adapted their play. Biff's clever, he wouldn't blow his cover early, and his investments and acquisitions helped out later.

#8 makes perfect sense. There were 96 senators in 1955. Lorraine's dad is an uneducated buffoon. He wouldn't know them the senators from across the country.

Nah. When Doc and Marty go from 1985 to 2015 at the end of the first film / beginning of the second, its the happy future where Marty grew up rich and Doc survived being shot by Libyans.

The bad 1985 is created when Old Bill takes the Delorean back from 2015 to 1955. The problems begin when Old Biff is able to take the Delorean and return it to the good 2015 - he would have gone forward to a bad 2015, not the good one. But then Doc and Marty wouldn't have had a Delorean to use to fix everything, nor the clue about Biff's cane, etc.

Then again, the films had previously shown that a change can affect the world around you, ie the photograph in the first movie and the newspaper in the second. So yea, I guess the 2015 world should have changed around them - and maybe you could say it DID, but they just didn't notice on the street the McFlys lived on?

Oi ,my head is starting to hurt...

I thought plutonium was only needed to power the flux capacitor, and the car itself still drove on normal unleaded?

Oh wait... but then without plutonium, how do the time circuits fire at the end of part three? All the train does it get them up to 88 mph...

Oh wait... do they HAVE plutonium for the flux capacitor, BUT the flux capacitor only fires with plutonium AND an 88mph speed?

Twin Pines lot, 1985

This is heavy-duty, Doc. This is great. Uh, does it run, like, on regular unleaded gasoline?

Unfortunately no. It requires something with a little more kick. Plutonium.

But in 1885, Doc says:

Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits and the flux capacitor. But the internal combustion engine runs on ordinary gasoline; it always has.

It's right there. It is right there, spelled out. So either Doc is confused in the excitement of nuclear in the first movie, or the writers made a serious mistake that nobody really minds because trains are cool.

Oh wait... but then without plutonium, how do the time circuits fire at the end of part three? All the train does it get them up to 88 mph...

Oh wait... do they HAVE plutonium for the flux capacitor, BUT the flux capacitor only fires with plutonium AND an 88mph speed?

Geez Jason. Only the first film uses Plutonium.

Mr. Fushion, remember?

Twin Pines lot, 1985

This is heavy-duty, Doc. This is great. Uh, does it run, like, on regular unleaded gasoline?

Unfortunately no. It requires something with a little more kick. Plutonium.

But in 1885, Doc says:

Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits and the flux capacitor. But the internal combustion engine runs on ordinary gasoline; it always has.

It's right there. It is right there, spelled out. So either Doc is confused in the excitement of nuclear in the first movie, or the writers made a serious mistake that nobody really minds because trains are cool.

Eh, a minor continuity error not worth bothering about.

Just pretend when he said "Unfortunately no. It requires something with a little more kick. Plutonium. " he was referring to the time circuits only.

So why does Mr. Fusion only power the time circuits and not the car itself?

Assuming Doc had Mr. Fusion added to his car during his visit to 2015 and not from a stop to some even more future time, what else would people who bought a Mr. Fusion in 2015 use it for if not to power their car?

Right. As a kid I always assumed he got Mr. Fusion from the far future, not 2015.

BTW, do you keep spelling it "fushion" on purpose?

I watched Part II last night. I don't recall seeing Mr. Fusions sticking out the top of the future cars.

Plutonium powers only the time circuits. We know this because in the first movie, lightning was used as a replacement power source for the time circuits, while Marty used the gasoline internal combustion engine to get up to speed.

I'd say the fusion conversion powered the time circuits and the hover conversion - how would a gasoline engine and rotated wheels create hover? I think I remember the hover system was fried by the lightning. That left the need for gasoline.

I thought I saw a large public fusion dumpster in 2?

In 1990 I thought I had found a big plot hole because they could get gas from the buried Delorean. Unfortunately I knew less about cars then than I do know. You don't leave a car full of gas that you're expecting to sill work 70 years later.

I always felt that Thomas F Wilson should have been much more famous and done many more films. Dude killed it in the BTTF movies; his acting is perfect throughout, and he had the hardest role. He played the most variations of his character and each one was completely different. He's had a pretty good career doing TV and voice acting, but man, I feel like he never really got the respect he deserved for the job he did in that series.