2015 FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION studio sites (featuring music)

thx99

Can't wait for the Force Awakens FYC! Academy rules have changed dramatically since ROTS; no more of this "listening experience" nonsense JW subjects us to with OSTs!

Good point. The OST wasn't really close to film order and contained so much music that went unheard in the film.

Maybe Shore had just given up by that stage and didn't bother applying?

These sites need more unreleased music!

Agreed! Paramount was probably the best of the lot last year, when it came to unreleased music, but they haven't put any music up yet for the three films they currently have listed.

It's interesting that Universal has dedicated sites for "BEST ORIGINAL SCORE" and "BEST ORIGINAL SONG". That's new this year.

New overall? or new for Universal?

New overall, I think, from the perspective of having a single site featuring multiple FYC scores, in addition to featuring the music within each individual film's FYC site.

post-251-0-71718100-1445617561.png

BTW, I had no idea that Burwell was so busy this past year!!

Can't wait for the Force Awakens FYC! Academy rules have changed dramatically since ROTS; no more of this "listening experience" nonsense JW subjects us to with OSTs!

What rules have actually changed? There's nothing in the official Academy rules that the entire score has to be made available, just the full cue sheets and a selection of music from the film. (Also, what's weird is that there appears to be a maximum length of 3 minutes per cue, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules.)

On another note, I love that one of the track durations on Scott Bomar's FYC site is listed as "1:73."

What rules have actually changed? There's nothing in the official Academy rules that the entire score has to be made available, just the full cue sheets and a selection of music from the film. (Also, what's weird is that there appears to be a maximum length of 3 minutes per cue, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules.)

On another note, I love that one of the track durations on Scott Bomar's FYC site is listed as "1:73."

You can find the relevant rule (Rule 15) at http://www.oscars.org/sites/default/files/88aa_rules.pdf, starting on page 20.

That's still just last year's, with Big Hero 6, Into the Woods, and Feast.

Hence, why it says "COMING SOON". :)

LOL!!! Whoops! Actually, all of the A24 Films score pages feature wonky durations.

You can find the relevant rule (Rule 15) at http://www.oscars.org/sites/default/files/88aa_rules.pdf, starting on page 20.

That's what I was referring to. There's nothing saying the entire score has to be posted, just that the submission paperwork has to include a full cue list.

Interesting that the Universal FYC site omits these tracks from the OST for Jurassic World:

Welcome to Jurassic World (2:08)

As the Jurassic World Turns (5:31)

The Park is Closed (1:38)

I guess they had to omit the John Williams references for consideration? Removing "Welcome To Jurassic World" makes sense, since it is purely Williams except in orchestration and performance. But it's a shame both "As The Jurassic World Turns" and "The Park Is Closed" aren't considered when they only use very brief sections of Williams themes in just one spot a piece, especially for the former. Both tracks are like 90% Giacchino, with "Turns" being perhaps the best track on the entire album (even without the WIlliams Island theme). If you try to listen to the album in order with these three omissions, it definitely loses it's flow and coherence. They're pretty important tracks, really.

Did they forget the "Island" theme makes the briefest of appearances in "Costa Rican Standoff" and the "Lost World" appearance in "Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours"? Also, they kept the final track that was actually composed by Giacchino's son. Tisk, tisk. They gotta apply their rule all the way or not at all. ;)

Not that any of this matters. As much as I enjoy this score, I don't think it has a chance at even getting nominated. Then again, I also didn't think the film would be the third highest grossing picture of all time.

Sadly Universal didn't counter these omitted tracks with others that weren't on the album. The rest all appear to be ripped straight from the album, including that crossover bit between "Chasing The Dragons" and "Raptor Your Heart Out". I was hoping for at least a clean ending/opening from the FYC site for those two tracks. Ah, well.

Actually, it was, because of the rule regarding sequel scores, which was then removed in 2004, with The Return Of The King being nominated and winning.

See here : 'Two Towers' score remains eligible, the academy says

The music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences moved Friday to deflect a brewing controversy by postponing a ruling that would have disqualified for nomination a popular musical score.

Howard Shore, last year's Oscar winner for his music for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," was notified earlier this week that his nearly three-hour score for "The Two Towers" was being ruled ineligible because it contained themes from the earlier film.

His was one of several sequel scores that were being disqualified under a tighter interpretation of an Oscar music rule that mandates the work be created specifically for the eligible film.

Executives at New Line Cinema, which distributes "The Two Towers," were furious. They said 88% of Shore's 160-minute "Two Towers" score was original.

That's what I was referring to. There's nothing saying the entire score has to be posted, just that the submission paperwork has to include a full cue list.

There was a rule at one time that it had to be the score is it is in the film.

Actually, it was, because of the rule regarding sequel scores, which was then removed in 2004, with The Return Of The King being nominated and winning.

See here : 'Two Towers' score remains eligible, the academy says

Executives at New Line Cinema, which distributes "The Two Towers," were furious. They said 88% of Shore's 160-minute "Two Towers" score was original.

Sigh.... The good old days...

Will TFA even be eligible?

Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were both nominated, but none of the prequel scores were. Have the rules changed since the original trilogy?

Attack of the Clones might have been subject to that weird 2002 sequel rule. I'm pretty sure Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith were eligible but they chose other Williams scores those years.

No reason AOTC would have been nominated, really.

(sorry, I love AOTC as a fanboy, but Jesus let's be realistic)

I don't really find any of John Williams' 2002 scores to be especially worthy of a nomination. There are great moments spread across each of them but they are relatively inconsistent as individual scores.

Attack of the Clones might have been subject to that weird 2002 sequel rule. I'm pretty sure Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith were eligible but they chose other Williams scores those years.

I know for a fact Revenge of the Sith was ruled ineligible due to tracked music.