What do you do with osts when there is a complete score + ost released?

filmmusic

What do you do with osts when there is a complete score + ost released?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with osts when there is a complete score + ost released?

• Sell them
    • Toss them
    • Keep them
    • Give to family/friends/other

Thought to make this poll, influenced by the other thread about Williams' albums and the upcoming Jaws 2 release.

I normally keep them.

I have thought of selling them, but I figure they wouldn't sell for much, since there is a more complete version released that includes them.

(unless that more complete version is limited and gets out of print, so maybe the original ost again had some value)

By the way, so that there is no misunderstanding:

I am asking what do you do with the original albums you had bought in the past, when there is a recent release that includes that same album.

My question is addressed mostly to the ones that own both the ost and the complete score + ost release and therefore own the ost twice!

I will always keep every film score CD I already own.

The only one I ever gave away was the Hook OST to a girlfriend that painted me a picture from it. I had to rebuy it, and my rebought version had the shittier booklet than my original I bought in the 90s. D'oh.

I will always keep every film score CD I already own.

The only one I ever gave away was the Hook OST to a girlfriend that painted me a picture from it. I had to rebuy it, and my rebought version had the shittier booklet than my original I bought in the 90s. D'oh.

I didn't know that the Hook ost was released with 2 booklets.

Easy. I hold on to the OST and never get the expanded version! :) (well, sometimes I have indeed tried an expanded version -- just to give it a chance -- but then only to sell it off afterwards).

Easy. I hold on to the OST and never get the expanded version! :) (well, sometimes I have indeed tried an expanded version -- just to give it a chance -- but then only to sell it off afterwards).

well, again I should have clarified.

My question was mostly addressed to those that own both the ost and the complete score + ost release.

So, i was asking, since they have the original album twice, what they do with one of them.

well, again I should have clarified.

My question was mostly addressed to those that own both the ost and the complete score + ost release.

So, i was asking, since they have the original album twice, what they do with one of them.

Yeah, I knew I wasn't in the target audience of your query, but I couldn't help myself. ;)

What I do when I get a new expanded set?

Well, I usually dance naked around a fire, holding the expanded set in my left hand, and the OST in my right. Yes, the order is very important.

Happy Halloween gang!

I keep them

I have limited shelf space, so If the OST is completely redundant, I "dismantle" the c.d. case, store away the covers and place the c.d. in a c.d wallet

If the OST is hard to find prior to the archival release, I'll try to sell it off. If not, I just keep it.

I'm too lazy to try and sell any of my old stuff

If the OST is hard to find prior to the archival release, I'll try to sell it off. If not, I just keep it.

I'm too lazy to try and sell any of my old stuff

I sold my copy of Predator for like $35 before Intrada reissued it. Amazon makes it easy, and most people don't follow soundtrack news, so I try to get them listed shortly after any sort of expansion is announced. They'll see everyone selling for $100+ and then there's mine for $35. Insta-buy. I sold my Varese edition of The Fury for around $90 before LLL reissued it. But in that case I had paid $90 for it, so I broke even.

Shamefully I hadn't bought a Williams OST since 2005. But recently I have been filling gaps in my collection and when I looked at my shelf I didn't see Sabrina for whatever reason, so I ordered all the new OSTs along with some older OSTs and expanded editions. I don't even remember owning it so I was a bit shocked to see it staring back at me when I went to place my recent purchases on the shelf :|

Keep. Always. And in the case of Sabrina, buy two copies buy accident forgetting that you already had it years earlier.

I did that with Born on the Fourth of July

I bought a second copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the late 90s because my original was badly scratched. Had to do the same for Jurassic Park and the OSTs of Jaws and E.T., which I purchased at Universal Studios in the early 90s. I still have the scratched TLC though, because it was my first Williams CD. Even back then I knew, this...this is history.

If an expanded/complete release makes an OST completely obsolete then I will generally toss it. I know non of my family members would want any of my OSTs.

Although there's been some instances where I've kept the OST because they were unique or featured some music the expanded version didn't have IE: Star Trek Insurrection.

I was very happy to bin my Star Wars Anthology when the Special Edition albums came out. Don't need multiple sets of that taking up space.

But the Anthology has tracks that aren't on the SE. And it has superior artwork.

I was very happy to bin my Star Wars Anthology when the Special Edition albums came out. Don't need multiple sets of that taking up space.

But the Anthology has tracks that aren't on the SE. And it has superior artwork.

and sound!

I think the Anthology is the best release of the Star Wars OT scores on CD. Not complete and not without quibbles, but overall the strongest presentations of all three. I don't like the sound of the RCA versions. Star Wars is complete and chronological, sure, and it's definitely the best of those releases. However, it has very shrill sound. The Anthology is far more pleasing to my ears. The SE versions are very fatiguing. I also typically prefer a more condensed version of ROTJ and even ESB, which may seem sacrilegious around these parts. Hell, I even think Star Wars is better out of order and with the old school album tracks.

I keep them. I really can't part with my CDs even if all they do for me is fill up my CD shelves. Sometimes it feels simply great to look at them sit up there and remember the day I bought them, how it felt like to listen to them for the first time, the frustrations I may have had when I realized a cue I wanted was not present, etc... That's priceless. Besides I can always salvage stuff off them in case the engineer of the expanded version had gone super-nova with peak levels and loudness while mastering the CD.

I can't listen to the harsh and brittle sound of the SW Anthology box. You can literally hear the E.Q. working. In my book, that's called bad remastering for people with poor sounds systems or bad ears and to whom more treble or louder is always better. It's illogical how some of you are so critical when it comes to the color grading of movies but not when they are redoing the sound. Heck, some releases add extra digital reverb! It's why I never sell the original release. I still have my Star Wars on vinyl! And yes, it doesn't sound crystal bright but it's a heck of a lot more natural, less artificial, less fatiguing than all the other releases.

Alex

I keep my OST albums even if the new release might have both the C&C film version of the score and the original album. I consider the OST albums part of the history of my own film score collection and the disc and the music contain many fond memories from years back. While the content might be the same these albums still have something more personal to them.

I wonder if that was FAT's doing? He loves brickwalling audio so it sounds good in the car.

True, most Americans only listen to music in their car. I'm sure the Anthology box comes in handy then.

I keep my OST albums even if the new release might have both the C&C film version of the score and the original album. I consider the OST albums part of the history of my own film score collection and the disc and the music contain many fond memories from years back. While the content might be the same these albums still have something more personal to them.

You bring up another good point! Collector's value! Every film poster collector would want the first print, right?

I dislike the attitude of obsolescence that's directed toward soundtrack releases, where if a new version is released, it's automatically an upgrade that supercedes the previous release. As a result, the previous release must be purged.

I wonder if that was FAT's doing? He loves brickwalling audio so it sounds good in the car.

True, most Americans only listen to music in their car. I'm sure the Anthology box comes in handy then.

I can't really "listen" to any music unless I'm doing absolutely nothing!

I want to be absorbed in the music and not use it as a background to something I'm doing.