Michael Giacchino's Zootopia (2016)

Max

Just now, Quintus said:

Hmm, that's a shame then. That he imposes so many creative limits on himself, I mean. All in the name of fun! He likes a good larf does Gia, according to leeallen01. Who seems to know the composer personally. 

Any one with eyes and ears can see he likes his job. But also having met him several times and spent time hanging out socially with his sister on several occasions has also added to the obvious. Such a shame there's so many bitter individuals that would rather him score a holocaust drama than a space opera. Stop with the fun. Gives us misery!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I can't ever see Gia doing a Schindlers List type score.

That goes without saying - composers of that skill are all dead apart from one. 

But how about something like Born on the Fourth of July, or JFK? 

I would love to hear him try his hand at something more serious than endless string of animation scores and adventure films if only to hear what he could come up for something different.

*Mikko, who wasn't especially bowled over any of the 2015 Giacchino scores*

I too, would be much more interested in hearing Giacchino open up more artistically to projects rather than staying so consistently in his comfort zone. I see no reason to shame people for wanting that!

On 1/20/2016 at 3:44 AM, leeallen01 said:

Oh no :o I'll inform the masses of your disapproval. Maybe they can quickly get a replacement score. 

british humor sometimes fall flat on its face.

Jurassic World was an embarrassment of a score. It was laughably absent of any personality. Granted most scores pale in comparison John's majestic Jurassic Park themes.

As good as UP's score was Inside Out was yawn.

Nothing MG did last year was even in the same solar system as Star Wars The Force Awakens.

He doesn't do edgy and pretentious because he lacks the ability to be edgy. He is in many ways a worse composer than Hanz Zimmer.

You're implication that John chooses his projects to get awards is an insult to this board.

9 hours ago, Joey said:

british humor sometimes fall flat on its face.

Jurassic World was an embarrassment of a score. It was laughably absent of any personality. Granted most scores pale in comparison John's majestic Jurassic Park themes.

As good as UP's score was Inside Out was yawn.

Nothing MG did last year was even in the same solar system as Star Wars The Force Awakens.

He doesn't do edgy and pretentious because he lacks the ability to be edgy. He is in many ways a worse composer than Hanz Zimmer.

You're implication that John chooses his projects to get awards is an insult to this board.

Allow me to just take 5 minutes to laugh at everything you just said. 

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Allow me to just take 5 minutes to laugh at everything you just said. 

feel free 

sad that people accept such mediocrity for quality.

Saw this posted in the FSM thread

Saw the film yesterday. The score is awful mickey-mousing all the way. I'm a fan of Giacchino's work, but this one really disappointed me and i seriously doubt it can be listenable on CD.

Well... i'm sure the complete score will be listenable. Maybe a shortened ost will not.

But usually, mickeymousing is fun to listen to..

By the way, just saw that this film opens feb 12th in Spain! i thought this was an early summer release...

The soundtrack will be released on March 4.

zootopia.jpg

1. Try Everything – Shakira

2. Stage Fright

3. Grey’s Uh-Mad At Me

4. Ticket To Write

5. Foxy Fakeout

6. Jumbo Pop Hustle

7. Walk And Stalk

8. Not A Real Cop

9. Hopps Goes (After) The Weasel

10. The Naturalist

11. Work Slowly And Carry A Big Shtick

12. Mr. Big

13. Case Of The Manchas

14. The Nick Of Time

15. World’s Worst Animal Shelter

16. Some Of My Best Friends Are Predators

17. A Bunny Can Go Savage

18. Weasel Shakedown

19. Ramifications

20. Ewe Fell For It

21. Three-Toe Bandito

22. Suite From Zootopia

;)

On 1/19/2016 at 10:34 AM, Jay said:

OST released on Friday March 4th by Walt Disney Records

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019H96E9U

Track list looks great.  Sad that I will now officially own a Shakira song, though.

Just pre-ordered from Amazon US!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There's an alternate "Zoomania" cover on Amazon FR

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01B8PTEMA/

in truth, it's a german import (german film name)

I suppose that in most of europe there will be another alternate with "Zootropolis"

The film is fun, though probably it will suffer from 'dating' with many nowadays tech. The score is nice, but i need to hear it on cd.

The shakira song...is a recurring "joke". It appears full within the movie once and other in the end credits (with videoclip)

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to this soundtrack 3 times and, sadly, it is a major disappointment.  It pains me to say that as a great fan of Giacchino's work and especially coming out of 2015 which was his strongest year ever in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong there are some very fun tracks here with great orchestrations but the themes are just weak and it can feel like a slog sometimes to listen to.

I'm still really looking forward to Star Trek Beyond however!

Edit:  James Southall's review is spot-on: http://www.movie-wave.net/zootopia/

It's easily his weakest score.

Though after 3 listens, I started to warm up to it a little bit.    I wonder if seeing the film will help at all

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've listened to this soundtrack 3 times and, sadly, it is a major disappointment.  It pains me to say that as a great fan of Giacchino's work and especially coming out of 2015 which was his strongest year ever in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong there are some very fun tracks here with great orchestrations but the themes are just weak and it can feel like a slog sometimes to listen to.

What a massive friggin' surprise.