01 May 2016 - Lodz (Poland) - Atlas Arena
03 May 2016 - Krakow (Poland) - Tauron Arena
05 May 2016 - Bratislava (Slovakia) - Slovnaft Arena
07 May 2016 - Prague (Czech Republic) - O2 Arena
09 May 2016 - Zurich (Switzerland) - Hallenstadion
11 May 2016 - Budapest (Hungary) - Papp Laszlo Budapest Sportarena
13 May 2016 - Vienna (Austria) - Stadthalle
16 May 2016 - Sofia (Bulgaria) - Arena Armeec Sofia

I'd certainly like to go, but it needs to be one of the cheaper locations (like London or Berlin), as there are no direct and cheap flights to the cities I'd really like to go to (and that I've never been to before) -- like Sofia, Bratislava and Zurich. Also, this concert was extremely expensive if judging by the prices last year, so I'm a bit worried about that too. Plus the fact that most of the concerts are in the middle of the week.

But oh well....all these challenges aside, this is now on my official wish list for 2016.

I'm pleased to see them using Wembley Arena for the London show rather than the O2 Arena or the Hammersmith Apollo. I went to the Hammersmith show but might consider this rerun if the ticket prices are not prohibitively expensive.

Bah! Even if I were to make such a trip, I can't deal with these inconvenient dates :(

I've got five very convenient options on this list.

The questions is whether I fancy seeing Hans live. I've seen him performing twice already.

Karol

Bah! Even if I were to make such a trip, I can't deal with these inconvenient dates :(

I've got five very convenient options on this list.

The questions is whether I fancy seeing Hans live. I've seen him performing twice already.

Karol

I've seen him twice as well (I assume the same occasions as you), but those were only selections and live film concerts. This is a full, music-only program of just his music, and that's another temptation altogether.

I do like Hans and large chunk of his work. But there is something exalted and self-entitled about his aura during those events. I can take the music, it could be a fun romp. Not sure I can take his ego.

Karol

I do like Hans and large chunk of his work. But there is something exalted and self-entitled about his aura during those events. I can take the music, it could be a fun romp. Not sure I can take his ego.

Karol

He, he....it's a small price to pay for me, as I'm such an enormous fan of his music.

What happens at a Hans Zimmer concert? Is there an orchestra? Does he conduct? Or is he more of a Jean Michael Jarre type deal?

He plays synths, sometimes guitar or piano.

Karol

If you are not coming to Finland or Sweden, then no Mr. Zimmer, I'll pass on your concerts! :pfft:

Were you even considering going to one of them, Inky? I mean, let's not kid ourselves...

I could have brought my rotten tomatoes and other rotten vegetables and bombarded him from the back row! He deprived me of that chance! The sly fox!

Didn't you leave?

What happens at a Hans Zimmer concert? Is there an orchestra? Does he conduct? Or is he more of a Jean Michael Jarre type deal?

There's an orchestra or whatever sort of ensemble works best for the program. One of the veteran RCP conductors (Nick Glennie-Smith, maybe Gavin Greenaway?) conducts, and as Croc said Hans wanders around between solo instruments. There's also a lot of the original synth prelays piped into the room I believe. It gets pretty close to the real thing, surprisingly.

The teaser trailer features a lot of footage from the show in Hammersmith last year - I imagine that the arrangement will be similar, with Herr Zimmer and friends at the front and small orchestra and choir behind. It was a tremendous show.

Did no one read the link I posted?

Zimmer's 20-piece studio band, with whom he records his award-winning soundtracks, will be appearing alongside Lebo M, best known for his stunning vocals on Zimmer's Academy Award®-winning score for Disney's The Lion King, as well as an orchestra and choir. With over 70 musicians on stage, Hans Zimmer Live On Tour will be a must-see audio and visual live spectacular.

Well, this is the Inception suite from Krakow (that's late 2014). The recording isn't that great, sadly.

Karol

Neat suite! Rather poor performance though. Several points where the sections were off-sync! And those guitar licks...blech! And yes, not a fan of the vocalist for Time. The direct Edit Piaf insert was kind of cool though.

The tickets for the show at Wembley Arena are priced at £45, £55, £65 or £75. I cannot remember exactly how much the tickets were for the Hammersmith Apollo event last year, but they were in the same ballpark.

The concert is at a ballpark?

Yes Steef, you could say it is.

Wembley Arena was built for the British Empire Games in 1934 and has since hosted a large number of ball-dependent sports including tennis, 5-aside football, basketball, netball and water polo. The swimming pool for the 1948 Olympics (used also for the water polo) is still in situ beneath the floor of the arena. It is also just a stone's throw from Wembley Stadium, another famous 'ballpark', and directly opposite some 5-aside pitches that stand on the site of the former CTS recording studios where many film scores were recorded back in the day.

I went to the Hammersmith Apollo concerts and it was very enjoyable and fun as a Zimmer concert should be. Though I most likely wont be going to a date on this tour, I despise arenas to my core. The sound is awful beyond measure and they are too big for film music concerts. If he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall or Royal Festival Hall, or Royal concert halls throughout England then I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I always get much more into a concert and the every single note and instrument group etc when it's in a concert hall. Bloody arenas and velodromes I tend to just 'blah' the concert. I always try to focus but the lighting and distance from the stage and acoustics are always more 'pop' concert so I never get emotionally involved in the subtleties of the music and therefore it just becomes a nice enough concert, rather than a memorable one.