Hans Zimmer Live Tour 2016

Koray Savas

No different than the World Soundtrack Awards being held at a velodrome/cycling venue every year, I guess.

The acoustics must be awful

Not awful, perhaps, but not good either. Rather mediocre. You should come some time. It's basically just a stone's throw from where you live (compared to me, anyway).

If they would come to Finland, I definitely would pay that money to hear hansu live. I do not own any of his music but sometimes doing midnight-drunk-youtube-surfing, he has lot of good stuff. And Live is cool.

I could hug you!

The concert is at a ballpark?

Yes Steef, you could say it is.

Wembley Arena was built for the British Empire Games in 1934 and has since hosted a large number of ball-dependent sports including tennis, 5-aside football, basketball, netball and water polo. The swimming pool for the 1948 Olympics (used also for the water polo) is still in situ beneath the floor of the arena. It is also just a stone's throw from Wembley Stadium, another famous 'ballpark', and directly opposite some 5-aside pitches that stand on the site of the former CTS recording studios where many film scores were recorded back in the day.

I guess Zimmer's colossal ego needs the extra space.

Does Zimmer really have a huge ego?

No more than any other big Hollywood act, I guess. Personally, I've found him rather pleasant (the few times I've seen him in person). Sure, there's a bit of 'false modesty' here and there, but I don't really mind it that much.

When Williams wins that Oscar for TFA I have a feeling he finally won't be able to contain his ego...

"BOW DOWN TO ME, YE EPIGONES!!! I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!"

I know many find it endearing, but it's a quality that I find very off-putting in anyone, even though in his case its certainly not feigned - he really is rather self-doubting. I just prefer it when people are frank and straightforward and dispassionate about how they describe their accomplishments. Like Jerry.

Jerry had no idea what he was talking about -- he was an absolute disaster when it came to talking about his own craft and his own work. But he channeled all his genius into the music, and that's how he communicated, really.

I know many find it endearing, but it's a quality that I find very off-putting in anyone, even though in his case its certainly not feigned - he really is rather self-doubting. I just prefer it when people are frank and straightforward and dispassionate about how they describe their accomplishments. Like Jerry.

Zimmer definitely isn't shy about his self-consciousness. But there are definitely times where the stories and promo bs that comes out of his mouth, make me want to strangle him.

He does seem like a cool guy though.

No. He spoke excellently about his profession.

Maybe you have to have serious musical knowledge to appreciate that.

You don't.

He was always uncomfortable in interviews, not really knowing how to verbalize anything about his craft. He might give you a behind-the-scenes story or two, but rarely anything about the aesthetics of it all. He was really the polar opposite of Williams that way. Sometimes, he even got grouchy when he didn't really know what to say.

This is not some brand-new revelation, btw. It's about as well-known as Herrmann's hissy fits.

That post referred to Williams, just to be clear. His extreme degree of humbleness is a bit tiring.

It would be if I felt it was veigned in any way.

Right, of course it's not. But it still kind of gets old.

No. He spoke excellently about his profession.

Maybe you have to have serious musical knowledge to appreciate that.

You don't.

He was always uncomfortable in interviews, not really knowing how to verbalize anything about his craft. He might give you a behind-the-scenes story or two, but rarely anything about the aesthetics of it all. He was really the polar opposite of Williams that way. Sometimes, he even got grouchy when he didn't really know what to say.

This is not some brand-new revelation, btw. It's about as well-known as Herrmann's hissy fits.

I find his discussions of the craft fascinating. Nothing like what you describe.

Weren't you just arguing with someone about subjectivity? And yet here you are telling me I'm wrong about something subjective....

In some way, I guess you could say it's subjective in terms of what you, personally, get out of it. But not really in terms of how in-depth he went into the aesthetics of it all. He was fairly superficial -- at least in the interviews I've seen (including that loooong TV one with Jon Burlingame). Maybe there's some hidden interview I haven't seen where he suddenly opened up and deconstructed his craft with immense insight.

A lot of what I've seen basically boils down to something a la "oh, I don't know....that's just the way it is".

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Omen II said:

While I am not usually a big fan of large arenas for film music concerts, I thought that Wembley Arena was the perfect venue for Hans Zimmer's music (and is much nicer than the awful O2 I might add, where they do not let you take even a bottle of water into the place).  His music is far better suited to a large arena than, for example, Ennio Morricone's, IMHO.  

That gives me hope...here in Berlin it's the O2 World (now Mercedes Benz Arena) and the Morricone acoustics were awful. 13 days to go.

I went to the London show he did in 2014, but didn't bother with the tour because I assumed this tour would be the same. Can anyone confirm it who's been to both? By the looks of these videos, it's the same show, perhaps just with his recent works like Interstellar being added to the set list.

Edit: never mind, I just read the previous page. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Mercedes Benz Arena (former o2 World) still has the most atrocious sound and when Lebo M. came on, he was so drowned by the deafening loudness that you only felt sorry for him. Nice selection - Hans was affable as ever - but the sound brought it down by at least 40%.

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Here is a video about the first show in Wembley:

When I bought my programme for the concert it came with a card containing a special download code for the opening medley recorded live.  I've just downloaded it and it contains Driving Miss Daisy, Sherlock Holmes and Madagascar.  Not a must have perhaps, but a nice little memento nonetheless.

• 6 months later...

I'd consider this if they weren't sold out in the new year.

Does he play much of the classics or does he tour the new album?

Love the old stuff but I'm not mad on the midlife crisis inspire later era. 

Bit of both. I saw the show this year in Paris. It was nice. Though I thought the battery (I'm not going to correct this because it's fun but I meant "drums") ruined some pieces (I think about thin red line ou interstellar)

Don't slip into French when speaking English! 

Batteries and percussion would both have the potential to ruin a Zimmer show. 

Remote controls need them batteries. 

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Don't slip into French when speaking English! 

Batteries and percussion would both have the potential to ruin a Zimmer show. 

Remote controls need them batteries. 

I had a long day so I guess I let more french words slip into my typing when I'm tired :P

I'm thrilled that he's visiting Oslo (as is James Newton Howard next year, btw).

But I'm worried about the price. It's WAY out of my price league. If I don't get press accreditation, I don't know what I am going to do.

I have faint hope for an interview with both Zimmer and JNH too (for JNH, it would be my second time, for Zimmer, it would be my first -- even though I've met him on multiple occasions).