• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Koray Savas

Hans Zimmer Live Tour 2016

140 posts in this topic

Well, this is the Inception suite from Krakow (that's late 2014). The recording isn't that great, sadly.

Karol

Neat suite! Rather poor performance though. Several points where the sections were off-sync! And those guitar licks...blech! And yes, not a fan of the vocalist for Time. The direct Edit Piaf insert was kind of cool though.

It sounded much different on the day. Extremely loud, due to Zimmer's "enhancements".

Karol

The tickets for the show at Wembley Arena are priced at £45, £55, £65 or £75. I cannot remember exactly how much the tickets were for the Hammersmith Apollo event last year, but they were in the same ballpark.

The concert is at a ballpark?

Yes Steef, you could say it is.

Wembley Arena was built for the British Empire Games in 1934 and has since hosted a large number of ball-dependent sports including tennis, 5-aside football, basketball, netball and water polo. The swimming pool for the 1948 Olympics (used also for the water polo) is still in situ beneath the floor of the arena. It is also just a stone's throw from Wembley Stadium, another famous 'ballpark', and directly opposite some 5-aside pitches that stand on the site of the former CTS recording studios where many film scores were recorded back in the day.

No different than the World Soundtrack Awards being held at a velodrome/cycling venue every year, I guess.

I went to the Hammersmith Apollo concerts and it was very enjoyable and fun as a Zimmer concert should be. Though I most likely wont be going to a date on this tour, I despise arenas to my core. The sound is awful beyond measure and they are too big for film music concerts. If he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall or Royal Festival Hall, or Royal concert halls throughout England then I'd be there in a heartbeat.

No different than the World Soundtrack Awards being held at a velodrome/cycling venue every year, I guess.

The acoustics must be awful

I always get much more into a concert and the every single note and instrument group etc when it's in a concert hall. Bloody arenas and velodromes I tend to just 'blah' the concert. I always try to focus but the lighting and distance from the stage and acoustics are always more 'pop' concert so I never get emotionally involved in the subtleties of the music and therefore it just becomes a nice enough concert, rather than a memorable one.

If they would come to Finland, I definitely would pay that money to hear hansu live. I do not own any of his music but sometimes doing midnight-drunk-youtube-surfing, he has lot of good stuff. And Live is cool.

The acoustics must be awful

Not awful, perhaps, but not good either. Rather mediocre. You should come some time. It's basically just a stone's throw from where you live (compared to me, anyway).

If they would come to Finland, I definitely would pay that money to hear hansu live. I do not own any of his music but sometimes doing midnight-drunk-youtube-surfing, he has lot of good stuff. And Live is cool.

I could hug you!

The concert is at a ballpark?

Yes Steef, you could say it is.

Wembley Arena was built for the British Empire Games in 1934 and has since hosted a large number of ball-dependent sports including tennis, 5-aside football, basketball, netball and water polo. The swimming pool for the 1948 Olympics (used also for the water polo) is still in situ beneath the floor of the arena. It is also just a stone's throw from Wembley Stadium, another famous 'ballpark', and directly opposite some 5-aside pitches that stand on the site of the former CTS recording studios where many film scores were recorded back in the day.

I guess Zimmer's colossal ego needs the extra space.

Does Zimmer really have a huge ego?

No more than any other big Hollywood act, I guess. Personally, I've found him rather pleasant (the few times I've seen him in person). Sure, there's a bit of 'false modesty' here and there, but I don't really mind it that much.

When Williams wins that Oscar for TFA I have a feeling he finally won't be able to contain his ego...

"BOW DOWN TO ME, YE EPIGONES!!! I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!"

Nah, Thomas Newman is getting an Oscar for Bridge of Spies.

I can actually see that happening.

Karol

I know many find it endearing, but it's a quality that I find very off-putting in anyone, even though in his case its certainly not feigned - he really is rather self-doubting. I just prefer it when people are frank and straightforward and dispassionate about how they describe their accomplishments. Like Jerry.

Jerry had no idea what he was talking about -- he was an absolute disaster when it came to talking about his own craft and his own work. But he channeled all his genius into the music, and that's how he communicated, really.

I know many find it endearing, but it's a quality that I find very off-putting in anyone, even though in his case its certainly not feigned - he really is rather self-doubting. I just prefer it when people are frank and straightforward and dispassionate about how they describe their accomplishments. Like Jerry.

Zimmer definitely isn't shy about his self-consciousness. But there are definitely times where the stories and promo bs that comes out of his mouth, make me want to strangle him.

He does seem like a cool guy though.

That post referred to Williams, just to be clear. His extreme degree of humbleness is a bit tiring.

It would be if I felt it was veigned in any way.

No. He spoke excellently about his profession.

Maybe you have to have serious musical knowledge to appreciate that.

You don't.

He was always uncomfortable in interviews, not really knowing how to verbalize anything about his craft. He might give you a behind-the-scenes story or two, but rarely anything about the aesthetics of it all. He was really the polar opposite of Williams that way. Sometimes, he even got grouchy when he didn't really know what to say.

This is not some brand-new revelation, btw. It's about as well-known as Herrmann's hissy fits.

That post referred to Williams, just to be clear. His extreme degree of humbleness is a bit tiring.

It would be if I felt it was veigned in any way.

Right, of course it's not. But it still kind of gets old.

No. He spoke excellently about his profession.

Maybe you have to have serious musical knowledge to appreciate that.

You don't.

He was always uncomfortable in interviews, not really knowing how to verbalize anything about his craft. He might give you a behind-the-scenes story or two, but rarely anything about the aesthetics of it all. He was really the polar opposite of Williams that way. Sometimes, he even got grouchy when he didn't really know what to say.

This is not some brand-new revelation, btw. It's about as well-known as Herrmann's hissy fits.

I find his discussions of the craft fascinating. Nothing like what you describe.

Weren't you just arguing with someone about subjectivity? And yet here you are telling me I'm wrong about something subjective....

In some way, I guess you could say it's subjective in terms of what you, personally, get out of it. But not really in terms of how in-depth he went into the aesthetics of it all. He was fairly superficial -- at least in the interviews I've seen (including that loooong TV one with Jon Burlingame). Maybe there's some hidden interview I haven't seen where he suddenly opened up and deconstructed his craft with immense insight.

A lot of what I've seen basically boils down to something a la "oh, I don't know....that's just the way it is".

It was a fantastic show again by Hans Zimmer and his pals at Wembley Arena this evening.  If you are able to get to any of the shows on this tour I highly recommend it.  The program was similar to the concert at the Hammersmith Apollo a couple of years back but finished with music from Interstellar and seemed to have been fine tuned elsewhere.  The encore was music from Inception.  All in all I thought it was even better than the Hammersmith show.

While I am not usually a big fan of large arenas for film music concerts, I thought that Wembley Arena was the perfect venue for Hans Zimmer's music (and is much nicer than the awful O2 I might add, where they do not let you take even a bottle of water into the place).  His music is far better suited to a large arena than, for example, Ennio Morricone's, IMHO.  The lighting effects that accompanied most of the selections were amazing.  I have no doubt that lots of YouTube videos will appear in due course, but the lighting effects during Interstellar are definitely worth seeing, with huge organ pipes suspended above the stage.