Star Trek Discovery

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-final-season-5-paramount-plus-premiere-date-2024-1235541321/amp/

Looks like the next season of Discovery will be its last. It will no doubt finally finds its groove in the final season… which would be annoyingly ironic. 

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-final-season-5-paramount-plus-premiere-date-2024-1235541321/amp/

Looks like the next season of Discovery will be its last. It will no doubt finally finds its groove in the final season… which would be annoyingly ironic. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to the end of Discovery S4. Like a mash-up of ST:TMP and Arrival with lots of crying. As I've said elsewhere, I don't have any problem with characters being emotional or having more inner life than in the older shows, but Discovery just doesn't seem to know how to integrate it plausibly. It's especially egregious when there's a planet threatening event about to happen and then suddenly they step out the room to have a heart to heart.

I couldn't really work out what was going with alien Elon Musk (whatever his name was) trying to find his friend who might be in a parallel dimension or dead or something? Oh I dunno. I don't know why people like that can't just be written with their motives shared with the everyone else, it's not like he wanted to use the 10C situation to do something nefarious (like destroy the planet of his sworn enemies or something). It would have been far better for him to develop the rapport with Book who then persuaded him to tell the Federation of his plan but how it could help both him and them and deal with their respective losses that way rather than Book and Elon basically becoming traitors.

The 10C as protagonists made no real sense. I don't buy that super advanced aliens would see warp capable species as so inferior that they would just assume destroying their planets would be fine. Would it not have been better to make them extra-dimensional so they perhaps didn't understand what they were doing?! Plus, why, when it's super advanced aliens do they need to teach the humans (etc.) to speak their language rather than they learn ours? I don't mean that in an anglo-centric way (like how the average European teenager speaks better English than the average English teenager - I exaggerate of course... slightly) but more in a "they're way more intelligent and advanced" so could learn to speak Vulcan or English or whatever pretty easily (like how Hoshi in Enterprise hears 9 words of a new language and is suddenly fluent... somehow). At least with other movies and shows about communication, there's a more logical reason for the difficulties in communicating (Darmok being of course a classic example).

As I said in some other thread, Discovery, like PicardMandoBad Batch etc. suffers from trying to do TV as a novel but without the structure to pull it off successfully. Rather than a thrilling narrative where challenges and revelations, as well as characters as their motivations, evolve naturally, it's ploddingly episodic with an issue of the week to deal with but you have to wait until the bitter end to get to the disappointing climax. It's almost like Classic Doctor Who serials where 6 episodes required the narrative to be spread really quite thinly. I remember RTD saying how the cold open for a Nu Who episode would have been an entire 25 minute episode in Classic Who. Half of the episodes of Discovery are that episode of that episode of Classic Who where Jon Pertwee's Doctor is involved in one long chase to fill an entire episode... at least that had loads of charm, Jon Pertwee and the Whomobile.

Finally got to the end of Discovery S4. Like a mash-up of ST:TMP and Arrival with lots of crying.

Are you talking about the Villeneuve film...or the record by ABBA? :lol:

Half of the episodes of Discovery are that episode of Classic Who where Jon Pertwee's Doctor is involved in one long chase to fill an entire episode... at least that had loads of charm, Jon Pertwee and the Whomobile.

That would be PLANET OF THE SPIDERS, episode 3.

Featuring the moment (I think) when the Doctor rides a hovercraft on land right over a sleeping tramp, and the tramp awakens somewhat befuddled. 

It's always nice when Classic Who is actually able to make you laugh intentionally.  

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Are you talking about the Villeneuve film...or the record by ABBA? :lol:

Nah the 1996 film with Charlie Sheen ;-) Scored by ABBA.*

*possible lie

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That would be PLANET OF THE SPIDERS, episode 3.

That's the one. Nothing like a bit of padding!

24 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Featuring the moment (I think) when the Doctor rides a hovercraft on land right over a sleeping tramp, and the tramp awakens somewhat befuddled. 

It's always nice when Classic Who is actually able to make you laugh intentionally.  

Oh definitely, some of that serial was pretty great but that episode was definitely a bit of padding. Apparently a parting gift to Jon Pertwee who loved the vehicles. Cute.

28 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Jon Pertwee dressing up as a - female - window cleaner, in THE GREEN DEATH , makes me laugh out loud.

"Not a word!".

In The Sea Devils, The Master's face (after his eloquent appreciation of the Clangers) when he's informed that it's actually a TV programme for kids is a picture. 

@Tom Guernsey, aye ... Pertwee was the 'action Doctor' all right. The influence of ITV's 'action shows' (and James Bond) is discernible during his run.   

• 10 months later...

Every season has been a “save the Universe” mystery box retread, and by looks of it (see :36 in the trailer), season 5 literally looks like it features a mystery box.

• 1 month later...

Discovery Season 5 is off to a fun start. 

This show will never be what some people want, but there’s a definite lighter tone for this season.  Feels like they’re trying to bring the fun.  It is, as the producers admitted, an Indiana Jones style quest.  Some of it is almost literal homage. I’m having a good time with it.