Star Trek Discovery

It should be noted that TNG, DS9, and Voyager were usually in the top two or three most expensive television shows to produce during their lifetimes. 

Voyager's Caretaker pilot in today's money would cost about $40 million. Granted, Viacom was also launching a new network (UPN) with that pilot. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Bullshit. The latter seasons of TNG and especially Deep Space Nine had some outstanding effects. Not consistently, but they very often did.

Looks like Babylon 5 sfx. 

There is something intrinsically boring about those armada style space battles though isn't there. The photography is just so plodding and unimaginative. Sorry! 

You must admit, it's kind of embarrassing that the most progressive female characters on television have been women in Star Trek in the nineties. 

How is that embarassing?

And I'd say there was some pretty progressive woman shows on TV in the 90s between Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Ally McBeal, Murphy Brown, Sex and the City, etc.

34 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

You must admit, it's kind of embarrassing that the most progressive female characters on television have been women in Star Trek in the nineties. 

It'a why I'm such a fervent feminist!

That's inconclusive and conjectural. Per the NCC list at Memory Alpha, Star Trek III's Grissom is NCC-638, and several other three digit ship registries were in service at the time of TOS. I don't think this proves anything. 

Star Trek Beyond was remarkable in how much lore from Star Trek Enterprise it embraced, since ALL of Enterprise is common to the Kelvin timeline, predating Nero's incursion. While the first reboot had a simple throwaway comment assumed to be Archer's dog Porthos, here we get full confirmation of a shoehorned sister class to the NX-01, hull plating, phase cannon, crude transporters, Xindi, and the uniforms. 

Why do I mention that? Another prequel series to TOS is going to need to embrace a whole lot more to fit in between Enterprise Season 4 and TOS. There's not a lot that needs told from those years, other than depicting the entire Romulan war (another Beyond line by Eddison) that gives rise to the Federation. I wanted that on screen eleven years ago. Gimme something new now. 

As someone whose Trek fandom originates with TNG, it is deeply frustrating that the people in charge of creating new entries in the franchise continue to be so obsessed with the original series time period and before.

That's what I meant with my comment above, not that I want another show in the TNG time period, but that one thing I loved about TNG is that it boldly leaped forward a hundred years from TOS.