Star Trek Discovery

No one was ever surprised by that statement at any point in time Alvar. 

It was probably the most painfully obvious sentence posted in MB history by anyone other than me.

People thought it, but didnt think it needed saying because of how obvious it was.

Congratulations...

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, and I can understand being an Enterprise or latter period Voyager apologist.  There was still enough of that Trek spirit in there to defend, even if it was kinda good

Fixed it for you.

The last two seasons of Enterprise were pretty good, and then they shit the bed with a "f you the fans" finale. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I tried to warn them, but they wouldn't listen! I call it the Cremers Curse!

It's the least surprising thing ever though. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You're not supposed to comment on a woman's weight!

Riker did look chubby though 

Troi was a hot tranny mess. Riker looked like a fat old man with a toupee. But it was supposed to take place on the TV show. I was so confused watching it. I thought it was an alternate future or they got a new Enterprise that looked like the old one.

Yeah, like that TNG episode where Beverly and Picard are the only ones left on the ship and then he also disappears. But there was no weird explanation for anything. They just expected us to suddenly accept haggard versions of the actors. It's Star Trek, not an Ed Wood production.

44 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Why were Riker and Troi suddenly old (and fat)? That's not how they looked on ST:TNG.

Riker eventually spent five years on the enterprise sitting on his ass and just giving directions, and not being directly involved with much action. Shit like that makes your stomach expand a bit. 

Jeff Russo's main theme wasn't that bad, but as I predicted, it definitely doesn't have a uniqueness to it. It reminds me of every other sci-fi TV theme from the past 10 years. The Orville will definitely be my go-to TV show now, especially because of the score.

EDIT: "Bland" I suppose was the word I was looking for.

You people need to be more tolerant.  Place yourself in 1966.  How would you respond the lame TV such as this if you had no concept of Star Trek?  This was the very first episode shown to the public.  Not that impressive.

Give the new show a chance.  If you had no concept of ST you would have ended it on its first show.

3 hours ago, karelm said:

You people need to be more tolerant.  Place yourself in 1966.  How would you respond the lame TV such as this if you had no concept of Star Trek?  This was the very first episode shown to the public.  Not that impressive.

Even though I'm not a Trekkie I loved the original Star Trek from the get-go when it first aired (in Belgium). It was my first encounter with sci-fi.

If I had one concern about the trailer and the direction it seems to be going in, is that it's all action, or a majority action.  I hope they don't make the mistake of feeling the need to have a space battle in every episode, and dedicate some time to philosophical or strategic debates and comfortable silences.

First four episode titles revealed.

No, this is not from The Onion. 

Episode 1: The Vulcan Hello

Episode 2: Battle at the Binary Stars

Episode 3: Context Is for Kings

Episode 4: The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry

It became cool to get into Doctor Who when he regenerated into 12 to lukewarm reception and the series disappeared from Netflix. Since most people watch TV shows on Netflix, people are now unfamiliar with Doctor Who again. Since many of the Whovians preferred a younger sexier Doctor, they abandoned TARDIS when he became older and superior. Meanwhile, Star Trek is becoming increasingly irrelevant and they won't even air it on telly anymore. There's never been a better time to become a Whovian. Fuck this shit.

20 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

It became cool to get into Doctor Who when he regenerated into 12 to lukewarm reception and the series disappeared from Netflix. Since most people watch TV shows on Netflix, people are now unfamiliar with Doctor Who again. Since many of the Whovians preferred a younger sexier Doctor, they abandoned TARDIS when he became older and superior. Meanwhile, Star Trek is becoming increasingly irrelevant and they won't even air it on telly anymore. There's never been a better time to become a Whovian. Fuck this shit.

It's streaming with Amazon Prime.  Lots of people use Amazon for streaming (myself included).

Spending near $10 million per episode only to have it available through limited means seems like a strange risk.  CBS must have great faith in Star Trek's ability to seriously attract viewers to its streaming platform in the US after the first episode airs on TV.  I'm envious of my international comrades, who get to enjoy it on Netflix.  I'm speaking as someone who doesn't want this to suck.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Star Trek isn't really all that similar to Who!

Good thing too! If they were the same, there would be no point to one of the two.

But instead they're different and enjoyable in their own ways, so there's merit to both of them. ;)