Star Trek Discovery

On 7/23/2017 at 5:15 AM, Richard said:

Nice trailer, but...loose the silly song.

lose, not loose!

I finally watched the new trailer.  It's a chaotic mess.  I feel it does a poor job of selling the show, because its so all over the place, edited too quickly with terrible music.  I hope the show is actually good and they are just screwing up the marketing, but there is nothing I've been shown yet that gives me any confidence in its quality, other than some good cast members

Totally agreed.  I have no clue what the general tone and goal of the show and its crew will be.  The trailer was just a bunch of stuff with no cohesion.

Again, I'm willing to go in expecting the best, but the trailers so far instill no faith in me whatsoever

I've been a Trekkie since the early 90's and so far all this has done is conjur up a "let's wait and see".

Discovery is on it's third showrunner apparently, after the Hannibal guy and Akiva Goldman were shown the door.

TNG's first season was an absolute production nightmare where at the end of it almost all of the writers and producers either walked our or were fired. It became good eventually. 

We'll see. It will get 2 seasons for sure.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only 3 seasons? Rick Berman kept Star Trek on the air for 18 years

What is it with Ricks?

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Judge shows on quality, not quantity!

Star Trek's longevity is a mark of it's quality! 

• 1 month later...

I like the DS9 nine theme.

This sounds okay, I would like to hear it on own though, but we all know the background music will be in typical modern fashion, and it'll just be like sound design there to support the show with nothing special about it, which isn't too far off from the music of DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, & the later seasons of Next Generation anyway.

The main theme will be the only memorable part of the show, and it sounds like they sorta failed in that regard.

"No themes just wallpaper music" - in some ways Berman could see into the future, regarding music as a means of supporting the show & not much else.

I will say it's a bit ironic that the "rip-off / Star Trek" parody The Orville has more of a classic feel with its use of music, then the actual Star Trek show itself probably will though.