Star Trek Discovery

Although Oz came first, it's hard to argue against The Sopranos being the more influential of the two in terms of a larger fan base, and prompting a more immediate response from other network/cable stations to step up their game.

I don't know. Obviously Sopranos is credited with jump starting the Golden Age, and I suppose I won't argue with that.  But there were top quality, cinematic shows like Deadwood and Rome kicking around before Sopranos that stand right alongside some of the Golden Age epic TV.

Ah, OK. I stand corrected (well, actually sit).  I sorta missed the whole Sopranos thing at the time.

I think Rome was the first show that caused me to take notice and sort of say "wow, what's going on with TV!" Then I went and discovered Deadwood.

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The 2000s were the best!

Most of my favorite TV shows of all time aired during them, yes!

Some say that, before The Sopranos, there was Buffy .... The sheer balls of these conventional viewers! I bet they are the ones watching that darn Glee show!

I was a teenager from 1992 to 1999!

And I mean I watched whatever network sitcoms were on with my parents when I was younger (IE Cheers, Cosby, Perfect Strangers, Head of the Class, ALF, Roseanne, Married With Children, Full House, Family Matters, The Simpsons, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Step by Step, etc) and in high school watched stuff like Friends, Seinfeld, Newsradio, X-Files, and Sliders, and in college we had a few shows we'd all watch together (pretty much just Simpsons and X-Files).  But it wasn't until after I graduated college (2001) and got a day job (2002) that I started watching more shows with regularity, which was right around when TV got amazing to boot!

On 9/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, Disco Stu said:

The sequence itself is pretty cool.  But that theme reeks of producers saying they want something like Game of Thrones.

Exactly this 100000%

On 9/24/2017 at 3:41 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

It's disappointing how little I feel emotionally upon hearing the theme.  

Oh man this outlines exactly how I feel about the new theme. Star Trek themes are supposed to have really good orchestrations, with sweeping strings and all sorts of stuff to chew on because we have to hear it a hundred times. It's just like the Game of Thrones theme; while it's a good theme, it's poorly orchestrated. Not a lot to listen to after 6 seasons, and at this point it feels like it drones on and on. After hearing the DIS theme six times I'm already tired of it. 

So I finally watched last weeks episode.  The two F bombs in one scene....I'm sorry that rubbed me the wrong way big time.  I don't mind the occasional, "damn" or "hell", "what the hell" etc...and even Data's "Oh shit!" in Generations but the F bomb....that does NOT need to belong in Star Trek. If there are any more I'll be done watching the series.

BTW the Klingon ships look UGLY as hell.  The "birds of prey" look like Goa'uld death gliders.  The so called "D7" is even uglier looking and does NOT resemble the iconic cannon design at all...

It's been renewed for season 2.  Hopefully it follows in the footsteps of Star Trek shows of yore and irons out many of its wrinkles as it goes along

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-renewed-season-2-cbs-all-access-1051003

Good! With the exception of TOS all the Treks have rough first seasons. I don't know why and wished it wasn't the case here. But this is good news. 

If it had been cancelled after 1 season Discovery would have become the Firefly of Star Trek.

Lethe

Michael Burnham goes though her daddy issues with Sarek as it turns out she was kinda screwed over by him so Spock could go to the science academy instead.

Lorca's sleeping with the female admiral we saw in previous episodes to try and convince her he's not a nutjob. She gets taken prisoner by the Klingons and all of a sudden Lorca is dragging his feet.

Oh there's some Vulcan logic extremists who do suicide bombings, and the Enterprise gets mentioned. Spock too, lots of times.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Lethe

Michael Burnham goes though her daddy issues with Sarek as it turns out she was kinda screwed over by him so Spock could go to the science academy instead.

Lorca's sleeping with the female admiral we saw in previous episodes to try and convince her he's not a nutjob. She gets taken prisoner by the Klingons and all of a sudden Lorca is dragging his feet.

Oh there's some Vulcan logic extremists who do suicide bombings, and the Enterprise gets mentioned. Spock too, lots of times.

I must have missed it...what scene did the Enterprise get mentioned?

No.

Its been suggested to me that CBS probably doesn't own the Kelvin timeline. Paramount and/or Bad Robot does.

Its supposed to be set in the Prime timeline. Though Akiva Goldsman had stated it excists in its own continuity.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

So, not Nimoy Spock, but some newfangled New Spock? What the fuck?

Its not exactly known. There's an interview with Akiva Goldsman a little bit up in this thread that goes into the continuity 

On 19/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, Stefancos said:

Jesus Christ, I just don't know why they didn't just set this series after TNG! New ships, new Federation shit going on! They had a clean slate!

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

Is Spock "Kelvin" Spock? Is this the Kelvin Timeline? 

No. 

Btw Tilly is nothing more than a life support system for her mole.

18 hours ago, Arpy said:

Jesus Christ, I just don't know why they didn't just set this series after TNG! New ships, new Federation shit going on! They had a clean slate!

A lot of us veteran Trekkies wished they would have set it in the late 24th Century, well after the events of Nemesis.

I don't care what the producers claim...this show is not in the prime universe...

I like the more war-bent, desperation of the Federation in Discovery, because that aspect was always glossed over, but I don't understand the motives behind setting it in an alternate universe that isn't either the Prime or Kelvin timelines. The name itself would've been more fitting for exploratory missions into the unknown, not retreading already established and tired ground!

That said, I'm giving Discovery a chance and not writing it off just yet.

I don't think anyone is writing it off yet. 

But I don't see that war-bent desperation in the Federation at all. I see it in Lorca, but we honestly don't know how the war is going. Discovery doesn't give us much of a view of The Federation or Starfleet outside the ship.

My guess is they used the Abrams' films as blueprints, but wanted to do something new whilst tying everything into TOS so they could woo old fans into the show and not stray too far from the tried and tested material that's not going to alienate them.

So finally watched Lethe.

It was OK...not as good as last week's episode. I'm not quite sure the show knows where it's going, probably because of its rocky production and the departure of Fuller.

I have to say, for a show that's as serialised as this one is, they do seem to drop major plot points pretty easily...is it a given now that the spore drive works perfectly now and all you have to do is hook a human up to it and you're good to go? And for show that's supposed to be all about the war, we actually see very little of it, and as Steef said there's no sense that there's a Federation out there. I don't get any sense of scale at all about the epic events that are unfolding.  Moreover, while I appreciate that it's a character driven show, each character seems to be on their own little arc/journey, and I don't get a real sense of cohesiveness to the story as a whole.  Though obviously that could change and things could all come together later, but for now it's a bit disjointed story telling.

The SFX are nice...it's the best Trek has ever looked in one way, and even better than the Abrams movies I think. On the other hand, in some ways the SFX are distracting. All of the glowing neon colours are getting to be a bit much and it's starting to feel a bit like a video game. And much of the time I'm very aware that I'm watching actors in front of a green screen.

After a good start, the show is relying more on technobabble than I thought/hoped. The device to extend the reach of the Vulcan mind meld was downright silly.  And for that matter the mind meld/Katra stuff is starting to look and feel more like The Force than anything that's been established in Trek.

Lorca continues to be a highlight, and his motivations at this point continue to remain somewhat opaque. Did he really just send a colleague, superior officer and lover off to her death for career reasons?  This makes Sisko's actions in In the Pale Moonlight tame by comparison. Lorca seems like one of those Captains that Kirk, Pircard and Janeway would have to relieve of command.

Finally, as in Enterprise, the Vulcans here are portrayed as passively racist.  Which I guess you'd imagine given their culture, but excluding non-Vulcans into their service, even those raised by and on Vulcan, seems in direct contradiction to their IDIC philosophy.

Went through this this weekend. This is an abysmally bad show, and I was even looking forward to the diverse cast. 

Interesting concepts paired with absolutely no grace or reflective beats. The actors all spout their lines like they're on a time limit. The camera crew and cinematographer seem bizarrely to be stuck on a diagonal plane compared to the actors and sets. Has anyone found a single level shot? The production design has shunned not only the Star Trek designed language, but even the JJ Abrams Design Language. It's all gaudy looking. 

What a disaster. Who still watches this show, and why do you like torturing yourself? 

Oh come on. It's got issues, and it's not really Star Trek, but the show isn't that bad.

My question is, given Star Trek's incredible pedigree, why do they continue to try to make Trek something it's not? JJ Abrams wanted it to be Star Wars, and Discovery wants it to be Game of Thrones.

It's funny...Discovery is Star Trek in name only, and Orville is Star Trek in everything but name.

NO! Game of Thrones works! The production is tight. Even if you hate the concept, if you randomly tune in to a scene it transfers an emotional mindset to you. 

This is badly made. You tune in and you feel like an after school special got a big budget. It's awkward. The pieces aren't coming together. It feels disconnected and hollow as a result. You are watching things happen like you do at an aquarium. "Oh that's neat...I guess......what's the next exhibit?" 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Oh God! Almost nothing works!

YES!