Star Trek Discovery

Ouch; so big delay then. Shame, I was getting fairly curious...

Oh well, I've still got DS9 and Enterprise to catch up on, so no harm done! :P

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Anyone know when this is supposed to be airing? For some reason, my "telephone TV show reminder App thingey" claims that it aired yesterday.

But that doesn't sound right...

The premiere was set for January 2017,[5] and then May 2017,[1] and has now been delayed indefinitely,[50] with CBS CEO Les Moonves saying in February, "sometime late summer, early fall we’re looking at probably right now" for the series' debut.[51] 

• 2 weeks later...

No...no...good God...nnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The desert planet....the Jedi robes.....it's...it's...

....It's Nimbus III!

FyyMM.jpgslide_297725_2455138_free.jpg

Hmmmmm. I don't know.

Looks awful. But all Star Trek series feel awkward early on.

(and it's not viewable outside the US...I had to use the VPN to watch).

Looks... interesting? I'm not sure if it will be any good. It makes no sense to make a series taking place so soon before the original, but having it look like this. Who knows, maybe it'll be decent.

Yea, definitely takes the visual style from JJ's films

Was Jason Isaacs not in the trailer or did I miss him

CBS (and Paramount) simply have no idea how to handles this franchise.  They screwed up the 50th anniversary, they screwed up the last film, and now they're screwing this up.  It just looks terrible.

And what is it with the "Before Kirk and Spock" stuff in that trailer....as if the idea is something bold and new. Ugh. There's nothing bold and new about looking back...looking back in the timeline of the franchise, and looking back in that they've done this before with Enterprise. Star Trek is supposed to be about the future. I can only assume they wanted to make it as close in time to JJ's movies as they could, and some studio execs probably thought no one would want to watch if they couldn't cameo some classic Trek characters in it.  So we get something that's a bad clone of those movies that were simply average to begin with, themselves a clone of something far superior.

Zero boldness, zero creativity. Yeah, I know it's just a trailer, but the troubled production history of this thing doesn't give me any confidence either.  

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Great music, great special effects, great acting. It's going to be great. Star Trek is saved!

I know! Michelle Yeoh's delivery of "Computer, Engage Thrusters" has E-M-M-Y written all over it!!

PS. Watching the trailer made me wonder....are white males not allowed to serve in Starfleet at this point in Federation history?