Star Trek Discovery

Star Trek has always been a product of its time. And Discovery looks no different.

I'll still happily give this a chance when it airs (streams). It certainly looks expensive.

Still can't fathom a reason for another prequel. Its such a limiting concept. Especially if this does take place in the Prime Timeline.

I'll give it a chance also. Of course I will.

The whole thing, I mean every second of it, looks like it was shot in front of a green screen. It actually reminded me of the (awful) Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome.

It has that super color graded "optimized for 4K" look.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'll give it a chance also. Of course I will.

Good. Imagine them cutting a 90 second teaser of the first few episodes of TNG!

*shudder*

Just for shits and giggles I wrote my own theme for the show. It's nothing special, and it's not finished (only worked on it for like 30 minutes so far) but decided to upload it to YouTube anyway. I mainly just took some melody I came up with a while back and combined it with some of Jerry Goldsmith's prelude from ST:TMP.

I took for first one down and uploaded an updated version. It's basically the same, but with some added instruments, and some re-arranged notes. I did end up writing about 20-30 seconds more for the middle section, but I didn't like it so I scrapped it. It's still a little short, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to add and where.

• 3 weeks later...

The New Star Trek Show Will Break One of Its Creator's Cardinal Rules!

The "no conflict" rule is probably the most overstated one in Star Trek History. Especially since it never applied to TOS. Roddenberry only began formulating his "In the future all human conflict has been solved" theorum after hippies at conventions began influincing him. That's where the "Starfleet isnt military" comes from too!

TNG had no conflict. And when it did it was always external. DS9 had plenty of conflict. So did Voyager, so did Enterprise (as far as I know).

The "No conflict in the future" thing always seemed like unrealistic bullshit to me. We can try to overcome our human instincts, but as the series inevitably show, we're all slaves to our primate-cousin ancestry of territorialism and tribalism; humans and aliens alike just like to tussle, fire lasers and hurl fake rocks at each other.

TNG was interesting in how it found ways to deal with that no conflict rule. Restrictions can actually help creativity. But there are plenty of episodes that could have benefited from a little conflict between crew members.

Voyager, in my view, really didnt have enough.

Oh, yes, that was most of the fun and where most of the morality tales benefit and come from in the series. 

Voyager, perhaps because it was a smaller ship and smaller crew felt more like a family drama, with the conflict a result of acting as a functioning unit and crew.

Janeway and Chakotay were the parents, Torres, Paris and Kim were the kids. Tuvok was the strange uncle and Neelix and The Doctor were those even stranger neighbours...

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TNG had no conflict. And when it did it was always external. DS9 had plenty of conflict. So did Voyager, so did Enterprise (as far as I know).

And the films! (TMP and TVH excepted, I suppose)

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer:

Any thoughts?

I'd say the special effects are pretty cool, but there are definitely several shots of "what am I even looking at???"

Since when is it a Netflix series?