Star Trek Discovery

So lemme get this straight. In the USA you only got the first episode for free? To watch the rest you have to pay CBS $5.99 for their all access app, and still watch it with commercials?

What kinda business model is this?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So lemme get this straight. In the USA you only got the first episode for free? To watch the rest you have to pay CBS $5.99 for their all access app, and still watch it with commercials?

Yes.

What kinda business model is this?

A shitty one?

They will be releasing one episode a week up until November 5, and then there's a hiatus until Jan 7. Perhaps if not enough people are watching it via their streaming service if CBS will just air the rest on regular TV when the show resumes.

No one is being "held hostage."  It's a Star Trek show for crying out loud. If you don't want to subscribe to CBS's crappy service, then don't.  If you want to watch the show and still don't want to subscribe, everyone knows there are alternative means for doing so.

Is everyone who wants to watch something on HBO or Amazon or Netflix "held hostage" by those companies? Don't be melodramatic.

It's not the same thing.  CBS is a "free" over-the-air channel that airs all of their other shows in the normal network TV way.  This one original show they shove off to this new streaming service with no real incentive to stay there other than this one show.

It is absolutely taking advantage of Trek fans IMO.

It feels like a rip-off though. paying 5.99 to watch a show and still have ads to content with.

And for Star Trek? I mean if this was a Star Wars TV show they might get away with it. But many will either just torrent/Kodi this, or wait till it finally does turn up on Netflix or some streaming service they are already subscribed to.

I'm told CBS All Access has mostly shit shows.

They could have atleast done the first 2 for free, since they do form a sort of self contained story. But to end up 1 with a cliffhanger of sorts and then basically charging money for the rest is simply not something that will sell I think.

I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I would have told them to go fuck themselves.

Yes, it's a rip off. Yes, it's a crap service. But no one is holding you hostage.  CBS has what they regard as a premium product and they want people to pay for it. Whether that's a good strategy (probably not) is another question.  

And if you watched if free OTA, you'd be "held hostage" by advertisers in having to sit through their commercials.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It feels like a rip-off though. paying 5.99 to watch a show and still have ads to content with.

Apparently you can pay 9.99 for an ad-free version. Either way, yes, a rip-off. But no one is forcing you to subscribe.  Even if the show was outstanding (and it's not, at least yet) I don't know if it would be enough to get people to pay for this service. And if they do, it will be for the 13 weeks the show runs and they'll cancel.

Why don't you lot just do what the rest of the world does and torrent it?

I agree that what CBS is doing with this series is dumb. In fact the way the entire way the franchise has been handled by both CBS and Paramount has been dumb. No question.  In terms of both content and marketing.

I just think that saying you're being "held hostage" is a little hyperbolic. Since you've now said the same, I think we're on the same page. :)

Nick's "no one is putting a gun to your head" diatribe is grating, I admit.

Question. If Burnham was adamant that the lead Klingon should not be killed, why does she shoot him with a phaser set to kill, not stun?

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Because she's a mutinous liar bent on revenge?

That's not what the scene before suggests.

I am interested to see if they are actually gonna be able to make me care about Burnham, since she's an experienced officer who commits mutiny and attempts to commit treason in the first episode we see her in. That's kinda like making In The Pale Moonlight your first glimpse of Sisko.

Perhaps the producers are big fans of Chelsea Manning.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

But look how dark and gritty the whole thing is. She's complex! We've never had that in Trek before. It's groundbreaking!

Like how they're saying Discovery is the first show with a black lead? 

Load of bullshit! 

There's nothing wrong with "dark and gritty."  But does everything have to be dark and gritty?

I love GOT, but I don't want every show to have that tone.  Star Trek is supposed to be about an optimistic future.  Even DS9, despite beings Trek's "darkest" show (relatively speaking) still managed to hang onto that ethos. 

And one of the things that doesn't get much attention is the fact that humour has played a big part of every incarnation of Trek, but I don't see any of these characters laughing it up much in Discovery (though admittedly, it's early).

Load of bullshit! 

They're also saying it's the first Trek show to have "conflict" between the principals and to show a full scale war!  Imagine that.

Yeah, i agree. I doubt very much we'll see The Magnificent Ferengi or In The Cards in this new show.

I hope Isaacs will bring some spark into it.

Btw, Jason. Should we add a SPOILER WARNING to the topic title? 

If CBS wants my money, then they need a ton of legitimately watchable content.  Most network programing is just not my cup of tea, so as it stands, I have no intention of doling out $11 a month to get add-free content for one show.

Actually I was never much of a Voyager fan but the recent movies and now this new series has caused me to re-evaluate it and appreciate that show more. 

Voyager definitely has issues, and certainly isn't at a TNG or DS9 level, but at a minimum it feels like Trek and stays reasonably close it its spirit. I'm probably enjoying watching the odd episode now on Netflix more than I ever have.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Who's saying that? There's an interview with SM-G where she says she's the first black female lead. This is true. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-trek-discovery-star-sonequa-martin-green-diversity-inclusion/

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A premium monthly fee for access PLUS there's ads? 

Lol, US telly. 

Actually, if you want this show to succeed, the fact that it's not free OTA probably means it has a much higher chance of doing so.

Because it won't be dependent on traditional TV ratings, and because of the way its financed (with Netflix picking up part of the tab with their overseas distribution deal) there's not as much pressure on the show to be a huge hit right out of the gate.  Apparently Netflix was willing to do the show on their own, so as long as they're part of this deal, and public/fan interest in the show remains high, the show should be safe for a while at least...unless the business part of the agreement falls apart.  And I suspect if the show is successful internationally for Netflix, it will survive even if CBS All Access doesn't.

There's also something to be said for creating content that doesn't have to be geared towards the average viewer just tuning into Network TV. Part of what makes this such a good time for TV is b/c shows produced by HBO, Netflix and Amazon aren't advertiser dependent and can tailor the content to a much more narrow audience. Hopefully, this incarnation of Trek will do that. So while it sucks you can't DVR Discovery for free and skip through the commercials, it's probably better for the show, both in terms of content and longevity, that you have to seek it and and pay for it if you want to watch.

The Orville, on the other hand, like Firefly is dependent on TV ratings and probably isn't going to be around long given how much that show costs to produce. I just don't see how its going to maintain the kind of ratings its going to have to get to justify its existence.  

Watched it yesterday and it was the same crap Hollywood is shitting out now. My concerns for Star Wars TLJ just raised A LOT.  And producers admitting they are deliberately inserting SJW shit into the show. 

0 stars of 5. 

Perhaps the best point they've ever made in a Red Letter Media video is one I've been arguing for years, specifically with the Batman series. It's about wanting to live in the world. The newer Batman films, for instance, are terrible in this regard. Since I was a kid, I wanted to be Michael Keaton's Batman. He was a badass that lived in a dutch gothic manor house and drove the coolest car ever, he hung upside down with the option of sleeping with Kim Basinger, flew a fighter jet, beat the shit out of thugs, ate soup and rolled around on the couch with Michelle Pfeiffer. It really doesn't get any cooler than that. Batman in the newer films is miserable as fuck, living in a crappy post-9/11 world where everyone he loves dies rather than a fantastic city that looks like a German expressionist work of art with computers and Alfred in an old European car driving on the wrong side.

Not to derail the discussion in a typical JWFan way, but this is the problem with everything now. I used to love the Star Trek universe. It was a place I would want to live. I want to wear the uniforms, play in the holodeck with Data and Geordi, have cake with Seven of Nine, chug away at a computer console in the back corner of the bridge, drink at Quark's and have a good wank in the sonic showers. Post-2000(-ish) Trek is totally unappealing.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Not to derail the discussion in a typical JWFan way, but this is the problem with everything now. I used to love the Star Trek universe. It was a place I would want to live. I want to wear the uniforms, play in the holodeck with Data and Geordi, have cake with Seven of Nine, chug away at a computer console in the back corner of the bridge and have a good wank in the sonic showers. Post-2000(-ish) Trek is totally unappealing.

So in your fantasy world (where presumably you can do anything you wish) you have cake with Seven of Nine but have a good wank in the sonic showers?

In a world with the holodeck, I ain't wankin' in the shower anymore...

Anyway, one of the reasons fans responded to DS9 so much is because it was the first Trek show not to be primarily about a utopian vision of what our future could be.  Discovery is very much trying to be in that spirit.

22 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Not to derail the discussion in a typical JWFan way, but this is the problem with everything now. I used to love the Star Trek universe. It was a place I would want to live. I want to wear the uniforms, play in the holodeck with Data and Geordi, have cake with Seven of Nine, chug away at a computer console in the back corner of the bridge, drink at Quark's and have a good wank in the sonic showers. Post-2000(-ish) Trek is totally unappealing.

Somedays, when I'm doing my dreary work in my meaningless existence my mind wonders to what it would be like, living on that station...

star-trek-deep-space-nine-hd-bluray.jpg