Star Trek Discovery

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Is that good?

Maulik Pancholy played basically the exact same character on 3 different shows I watched: Weeds, 30 Rock, and Whitney: On all three shows he played a prissy straight guy, who ends up coming out as gay later in the series run.  He isn't anything spectacular, and does't seem to have a lot of range, from what I've seen, but he might be perfect for some role they have in mind.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I really cannot come up with any satisfactory reason why Discovery should be set before TOS!

Being a prequel to no less than 4 series and 10 movies seems incredibly limiting dramatically. If the continuity of the Star Trek Universe is to be maintained (and Paramount seems to insist it does) there isn't much you can do storywise that doesn't deviate from its own future.

Also, as sci-fi it limits itself in what it can show on technical progress. TOS and the 80's/90's shows showed a future from the perspective of their decades. Will Discovery be able to do that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24-7-2016 at 0:55 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

It's called "Star Trek Discovery." The ship is called Discovery. It's serialized, not episodic like the TOS.
http://www.slashfilm.com/new-star-trek-series-title/

That is really terrible CGI! Or is it an animated show?

Again, there's no reason to presume the quality of special effects in that old teaser is the same as what the show will offer in May

Star Trek has never really been about it's effects though. Even though the 90's shows had some of the best you could produce for TV in those days.

Alex, Star Trek is an ideas show, not an action show. Perhaps you will be more interested in rewatching Star Wars. They are on Netflix now.

That's the typical reaction from someone who has seen the films and not much more.

The films, whether it be the ones with the classic crew, the TNG guys or the new and improved JJ versions don't really represent Star Trek, the TV series all that well. And the TOS films probably do a better job than the others.

TOS is from the late 60's. A time of great political turmoil in the USA, and the rest of the world.

The Next Generation is late Cold War TV. Deep Space Nine is post Gulf War, and it's Dominion War arc is a strong reflection of that. As it subjects Roddenberry's idealistic vision of the future to a litmus test. Enterprise was done shortly after 9/11.

Are these times really so much more difficult and harder than the past few decades?

No, less and less people think the future will be sunny and bright. In the '60s we thought white cute robots were going to do everything for us while we laid on our back and drink cocktails all day long. Today we know that time will never come.

On 19/02/2017 at 10:46 AM, Stefancos said:

I've been thinking about this a lot 

Really? Nobody is more surprised by this than me. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Finds Its Captain In Jason Isaacs

jason_isaacs_e.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

So he's the guy they'll kill off in the pilot and have that Lt Cmdr character take over right?

Oh wow! Massive charisma on the guy, I'm sure you remember him in The OA, too. Excellent casting for a spaceship captain.  

Yes Jason Isaacs is great, and was wonderful in The OA. 

Marcy liked him in Case Histories too