Star Trek Discovery

For me as well!

I cannot wait to see his American Gods miniseries next year.  One of my favorite TV writers adapting one of my favorite novels? Yes please.

On 23-6-2016 at 11:30 PM, Jay said:

Wait a minute! The showrunner of Star Trek is Bryan 'Hannibal' Fuller?!! 

Holy shit! This might turn me into a Trekkie!

• 4 weeks later...

Netflix Lands International Rights to New Star Trek Series

In other words

US: You must subscribe to "CBS All Access" to (legally) see the show

All other countries: You must subscribe to Netflix to (legally) see the show

Looks like a hybrid Federation/Klingon ship? It's fuck ugly. Despite the awful music, they still kinda had me as it started coming out. But then as the ass end of the ship was revealed, I was like:

tumblr_ln1wf3_Za_GP1qkl1cwo1_1280.jpg

It reminds me a lot of some of Ralph McQuarrie's designs he did back for what was supposed to be the first Star Trek film, Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. 
18lsjl7zu3nqljpg.JPG

18lsjl7zx30zrjpg.JPG
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/

Looks fine to me.  I like the visual reference to the Starfleet insignia. I'm still very much down for this show!

I see they're continuing with the reboot series style of having no colon between Star Trek and the subtitle.  Star Trek Discovery is a good title though.

TOS

TAS

TNG

DS9

VOY 

ENT

STD

Maybe since Star Trek isn't carried in the abbreviation for the other shows... Do you think we'll just call this show D? Hey, Dee, did you watch D last night? 

STD? 

burger-king-2-for-10-whopper-meal-fans-l

Someone's gonna get fired. 

33 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

TOS

TAS

TNG

DS9

VOY 

ENT

STD

Maybe since Star Trek isn't carried in the abbreviation for the other shows... Do you think we'll just call this show D? Hey, Dee, did you watch D last night? 

STD? 

burger-king-2-for-10-whopper-meal-fans-l

Someone's gonna get fired. 

I think the official shortening is DSC.

For those who missed it, Simon Pegg was on Classic FM last night in a special where he talked about Star Trek and his broader love of film music. He's a Williams fanboy (he called ET's Halloween his "epiphany moment") and he's a ST: The Motion Picture defender. 

Listen here:  http://www.classicfm.com/radio/aod/?episodeId=5f3416e6-218f-4365-827d-359ed67cf440

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/giacchino/news/simon-pegg-star-trek-the-motion-picture/

Looks like CBS has learned from its previous Star Trek failures and budgeted this show with five dollars and staffed production with a team of after school special rejects. 

I can't wait for the synthetic orchestral soundtrack! 

Those effects were OK for the time in the context of what you'd find TV, just because most TV shows didn't use CGI.  But I thought they were shitty, even watching in the 90s.

Anyway, my point is really that the quality of the effects is not high on my list of things I care about for this show.

True, those in truth it lost something when they went full CGI. Enterprise never looked quite right to me either. There's something about modelwork that you just can't better with TV schedule CGI

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Those effects were OK for the time in the context of what you'd find TV, just because most TV shows didn't use CGI.  But I thought they were shitty, even watching in the 90s.

Anyway, my point is really that the quality of the effects is not high on my list of things I care about for this show.

Well obviously one has to consider the context. I mean compare it to what Babylon 5 looked like at the time... Star Trek at the time had the best effects that could be done on TV.

These days CBS and Paramount can make a Star Trek show which has near motion picture quality effects. They just have to be willing to spend the money.

My biggest concern right now is not the amount of money CBS is spending on effects but the rumor (confirmed?) that it will be an anthology series.  My favorite thing about each Trek series has always been the camaraderie, chemistry and familiarity that develops with the cast over many years.  Using a different cast for each season would obviously prohibit that.