Star Trek Discovery

The most intriguing aspect so far is that there's probably an ISS Discovery in the "prime universe", commanded by Captain "Killy". 

I hope they spend the rest of the season in the Mirror Universe, and deal with the fall out in the next season.

I agree and I too hope they remain in the mirror universe for the rest of the season.

I also had this feeling that Philippa Georgiou was the Emperor. I also wonder if she commands the Defiant, which would make sense.  Maybe we'll see the Defiant in the flesh. 

Also to me last night's episode felt like a real Star Trek episode.

I knew Ash would be Voq, i knew they would go to the Mirror Universe, i knew the Emperor would be Phillipa.

This show really doesn't do its mystery storylines very well. Watching Tyler finally turn after months was a relief. That part became very boring, with some bad acting.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, Stefancos said:

I knew Ash would be Voq, i knew they would go to the Mirror Universe, i knew the Emperor would be Phillipa.

This show really doesn't do its mystery storylines very well. Watching Tyler finally turn after months was a relief. That part became very boring, with some bad acting.

I agree about the acting with Tyler turning and the flashbacks.  I was bored with it too and glad it finally happened.

It was interesting to see Stamets meet his Mirror Universe counterpart in the spore forest.  Which means his Mirror Universe counterpart is the same way and can use the spore drive too.

Watching The Tholian Web, the season 3 TOS episode which introduced the Defiant. The lost Federation Starship that Discovery is looking for in the Mirror Universe, over a decade before. 

The Tholian Web and Chapter 2 of DSC are actually connected because of a two part Episode of Enterprise. In A Mirror, Darkly, which revealed the Defiant ended up in the Mirror Universe 100 years before TOS.

I must view this 2 parter next, having seen virtually nothing of Enterprise. 

The Tholian Web is actually not a very good Star Trek TOS episode. Better than most season 3 maybe. The Tholians are interesting but the story doesn't really deal with them. It's mostly the Spock, McCoy dynamic with Kirk presumed dead and frankly Bones is awful here. Accusing Spock, being a hardass, interfering with things that aren't ships medical business. Spock as Captain is always fun to watch though.

Interesting that this has actually nothing to do with the Mirror Universe, but it does have a nice opening to it.

Now watching the Mirror Universe 2 parter from Enterprise. Boy they had fun making this. Everybody acts their pants off. Scott Bakula grimaces like John Travolta playing a villain, everyone is betraying each other. It's like Game If Thrones or I Claudius, which i guess is what the Mirror Universe is 

The best parts are in the USS Defiant from Kirks time. The recreated TOS sets look great. Kirks uniform looks stellar on Bakula. It actually looks great in then modern TV lighting and 1080.

Yep, love In a Mirror Darkly and despise the series finale. It's a shame the show ended just while the behind-the-scenes seemed to start having fun with it. 

I must say I am enjoying this Mirror Universe sojourn in Discovery a lot. 

SPOILERS......... Emperor Georgiou should be fun. Although...I was not a fan of her in the pilot episodes so really I am just hoping for the MU to make her good - since it's done a decent job making some other things that weren't so good in Discovery rather enjoyable.

STD is a hilarious abbreviation, but it doesn't gel with the franchise abbreviations at all. 

By this logic, 

TOS = STT or STO

TAS = STT or STA

TNG = STT or STN

DS9 = STD (seven year itch indeed) 

VOY = STV

ENT = first ENT, then STE 

None of the previous Star Trek abbreviations actually include Star Trek in what they're abbreviating. Why does Discovery? 

I'm not a big Enterprise fan, but most of the best episodes do come from season 4 and Mirror Darkly is no exception. Yes, quite a bit of fun.

Anyone think Emperor Georgiou is a descendant of Empress Hoshi? Not sure the timing works, but I like the idea. :)

22 hours ago, Woj said:

None of the previous Star Trek abbreviations actually include Star Trek in what they're abbreviating. Why does Discovery? 

Because just D is too short.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Because just D is too short.

Hence DSC is the recommended abbreviation. I guess DIS would be more in line with the standard VOY and ENT, though. 

12 hours ago, Woj said:

Yeah but DIS is a verb that means to tell someone off. At least DSC is evocative of the full word, like VOY. 

Yeah agreed. DSC is pretty much the only thing that works without having unfortunate undertones.

Vaulted Ambition

Lots of exposition in an episode that moves everything along without creating much of a feeling of urgency.

The seasons last big bombshell seems to have been delivered. Lorca is Mirror Universe. 

While not surprised, i wonder what the point of it is?

Not sure the point of it was either but also glad to know I was right about him and Mirror Stemats using the spore drive too.

It's now feeling like Star Trek.

Really? We have Lorca, apparently from the Mirror Universe, where he apparently groomed and had a (possibly) predatory sexual relationship with Mirror Burnham.

We have Prime Universe Stamets, have a long talk with Culbert about the Mycelium network, but Culbert is dead and it wasn't clear to me who Stamets was talking too.

We have L'Rell apparently deleting the "Voq" OS from Tylers hard drive.

We have CADET Tilly doing medical shit on Stamets with no medicine personal even in engineering to monitor progress.

Oh, and Burnham ate some threat ganglia.

It doesn't feel much like Star Trek right now.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Really? We have Lorca, apparently from the Mirror Universe, where he apparently groomed and had a (possibly) predatory sexual relationship with Mirror Burnham.

We have Prime Universe Stamets, have a long talk with Culbert about the Mycelium network, but Culbert is dead and it wasn't clear to me who Stamets was talking too.

We have L'Rell apparently deleting the "Voq" OS from Tylers hard drive.

We have CADET Tilly doing medical shit on Stamets with no medicine personal even in engineering to monitor progress.

Oh, and Burnham ate some threat ganglia.

It doesn't feel much like Star Trek right now.

I realize there are some oddities with Sunday's episode but I looked past them.

On 1/22/2018 at 11:42 AM, Stefancos said:

Vaulted Ambition

Lots of exposition in an episode that moves everything along without creating much of a feeling of urgency.

The seasons last big bombshell seems to have been delivered. Lorca is Mirror Universe. 

While not surprised, i wonder what the point of it is?

Weirdly short episode as well...38 minutes, but closer to 35 with credits & previously on. As far as I know that would make it the shortest episode of Trek ever. Are they running out of story?

Looks like Lorca isn't going to last, which means we'll probably see Capt. Burmham after all, probably at the end of the season. Pity if they throw away what's been the most interesting character by turning him into a bad guy. And it also seems that, unlike previous journeys to the mirror universe, this one will have real impact on the characters and main storyline.

22 hours ago, Trent B said:

Not sure the point of it was either but also glad to know I was right about him and Mirror Stemats using the spore drive too.

It's now feeling like Star Trek.

I'm enjoying it well enough, but to me it's actually feeling less and less like Star Trek.

Still not sure how Burnham, who was tried and convicted for being a mutineer and is still serving a life sentence is supposed to ever make Captain. 

But ofcourse Chelsea Manning wants to run for the Senate, so....

It is a very strange choice to me, to make the only truly interesting/dynamic character that has caught on with fans (even those who dislike Discovery) into an all-out villain. Captain Burnham is not going to be particularly interesting if that's what we get. I hope that Lorca is able to have some kind of good arc from here but I fear the dynamic they've set up with him supposedly 'grooming' Burnham means they want to take it to a darker place, leaving them with little option but to kill him off at the end of season.

I did enjoy Michelle Yeoh's portrayal of the Emperor in this episode a lot better than I enjoyed her performance in the pilot. 

I agree that all of this would be more fulfilling and exciting if we actually felt a bond with these characters already (or for that matter if they felt like a unified crew rather than a group of slightly miserable stragglers). It would also make the Mirror Universe a lot better if it actually contrasted more with the main universe. They never established a nice, wholesome utopian Federation so moving to the MU just doesn't quite feel dramatically different enough.

13 minutes ago, idril said:

It is a very strange choice to me, to make the only truly interesting/dynamic character that has caught on with fans (even those who dislike Discovery) into an all-out villain.

We'll have to see if Lorca will turn out to be an all-out villain though.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Look, if they go a more nuanced direction, I am all for it. I just got a sense from that episode that they were going to move him that way. 

BTW I do agree that it's a bit irritating that we haven't gotten time to know each character. Although each Trek series was that way ...well at least for the first few episodes. It took a couple of seasons before we really got to know the characters like back stories and such.  Perhaps it'll be that way with Discovery if it continues.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Forget Lorca.  I'm hoping for an Empress Georgiou v. Intendant showdown!

Hey, anything can happen. It's Trek!

The Past Is Prologue

This episode clears up a lot of what seemed to be little niggles in previous ones when it comes to certain comments Lorca made, or things he did.

Unfortunately what the episode also did was ruin Lorca, by basically turning him into Space Donald Trump.

I stopped caring about the character once it turns out he was just a villain out for a power grab, and even Jason Isaacs acting, which has been full of poise and subtlety up to this point just thrown that all overboard and hams it up. 

There's quite a lot of bad acting in this episode. Michelle Yeoh and Martin-Green have some awful line readings.

There's a lot of action in it. Parts of the plot concerning the spores are quite well done and it looks good. But it's shallow. I don't care about Lorca's powergrab from Empress Georgio because they are both villians, the the Mirror Universe which is filled with villians. Nothing will change there because it''s a prequel and TOS and DS9 still need to get there. It's just plot mechanics that needs to happen to get Discovery home.

And when it does....ooooops.

Not a good episode, and one that ruins the Lorca character. I will miss Jason Isaacs on the show. I wont miss lorca.

Well that was crap.

An exposition laden, technobabble filled, stupid action, mess. It's actually rare that you can fill 40 minutes with both too much action and exposition, but Discovery managed to do it.  Nothing anyone did made much sense, nothing that happened made much sense. We're supposed to believe that the Emperor of the entire known universe could be overthrown by a bunch of people running down hallways shooting things. And the most interesting character on the show, Lorca, was turned from a nuanced study of an ethically ambiguous Starfleet Captain into a standard, want to rule the universe villain...who's promptly killed (until we meet the Prime Universe Lorca, likely in the finale).  And the solution to every problem being technobabble was even worse than Voyager, and that's saying something. 

Not good. I'd say it was the worst episode yet, except for the Mudd discotheque episode was probably worse.  Pity really, because it's actually coming off some of the better episodes of the series. But so much that happened here was so laugh out loud cliched that at times it felt like parody.  And naturally it ends with the next big "twist", the Klingons have won the war. 

Pretty big disappointment by Trek standards.  4/10.

Even with all the twists and turns, I'm still underwhelmed by Discovery. I can't explain it. Forgetting about Star Trek, even just as a scifi show, it has all the ingredients that I should like. But it never rises above mediocre for me. I think I'm in the minority though