Star Trek Discovery

Some interesting conjecture about DSC and how well its actually doing.

Not surprised loads of people cancelled their subscription though, once Discovery was finished. I'm told most of the other content CBS offers is mediocre at best.

Well if they keep doing things like “resolving” the entire arc of the season in a 10 minute speech after spending literally hours playing in the mirror universe (which don’t get me wrong was a blast) I’d be killing my subscription too. 

Doesn’t matter how great the visuals and some characters are if they are going to blow all the tension in completely in satisfying ways. 

But why would you keep your subscription even if DSC would have been first rate?

If the rest of the programs on offer by CBS All Access arent interesting (which I'm told it is the case) and the app blows?

You need to have a lot of stuff to offer to keep subscribers hanging on, that's why Netflix is pouring countless millions into buying or creating content right now. 

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But why would you keep your subscription even if DSC would have been first rate?

If the rest of the programs on offer by CBS All Access arent interesting (which I'm told it is the case) and the app blows?

You need to have a lot of stuff to offer to keep subscribers hanging on, that's why Netflix is pouring countless millions into buying or creating content right now. 

True but sometimes there’re are shows that are just worth it and keep you there like the grand tour for amazon prime or talkin toons on alpha.  Not saying you don’t take what else is on the service into consideration but if you came there primarily for one thing and it makes it “worth it” to you it could keep me in the service longer. Heck when Netflix came to Canada there was next to nothing on it and I only kept it for a couple shows. 

I think it was a mistake for CBS to put it online as an exclusive anyways. If it was on regular TV it would probably have done better.  I read MANY posts when they announced that it would be an online exclusive only that people weren't going to add another subscription thing to see it.  So I think that in itself brought ratings for the show down.

Don't know if this has been posted here anywhere, but I thought it was an interesting read from Austin Wintory and some of the demo music he wrote for ST: D.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/22/17035498/star-trek-discovery-soundtrack-music-composition-cbs

IMO it sounds better than what was actually used in the show.

18 hours ago, Fargo said:

Don't know if this has been posted here anywhere, but I thought it was an interesting read from Austin Wintory and some of the demo music he wrote for ST: D.

The correct abbreviation is DSC.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay the new Klingons in Star Trek Discovery look different. So how are they gonna do Worf if he appears in the new Picard show? Will they retcon him to look like these new Klingons? I don't understand this!

8 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Okay the new Klingons in Star Trek Discovery look different. So how are they gonna do Worf if he appears in the new Picard show? Will they retcon him to look like these new Klingons? I don't understand this!

That is a good question!

And another reason why Discovery fits very very poorly in the established timeline.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

That is a good question!

And another reason why Discovery fits very very poorly in the established timeline.

DS9 managed to show Worf walking around with TOS Klingons.

Jesus Fing christ. Did your vaginas bleed when the klingons in STTMP and STTNG look different? I promise you will all survive

Just now, Stefancos said:

Thats a different timeline, so thats fine. Discovery takes place in the Prime Timeline.

But isn't the only difference between the two timelines changes made from Nero's ship coming back in time? How would that have affected Klingon biological evolution?

Holy shit! They said the word "fuck" on Star Trek! Jesus, really?!

Anyone else reckon the ship's crew on this show is the most neurotic bunch of twerps ever featured on Star Trek? Seriously, all that tall alien dude ever does is whinge and complain, that engineer bloke is a smart arse prick, and that snoring redheaded chick is a total weirdo. The only normal one is the lead girl, who seems to be the only one who'd fit in with old Trek.

Oh and the engineer bloke and the doctor fella are doing some hanky panky? Well this really ain't your dad's Star Trek, huh.

34 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I suppose the new Klingons are darker and more disturbing...

Especially the pale ones.

In all seriousness, I want to see Klingons from different worlds in The Empire and have them acknowledged as such.  And show some subject worlds / races.

Hell, just make a season that's an adaptation of The Final Reflection.

This show is all about the thrill of discovering what they’ll change next.

Discover what the Enterprise, Pike, and Spock are going to be like in this version — hint, completely different from TOS!

Discover what Klingons are going to be like in Season 2 — hint, completely different from Season 1!

Even the show looks different. In the old shows, it was nice, even, TV lighting. But for this, because it's a Golden Age show, they had to get fancy.

It looks like Star Trek Generations when the Enterprise is near that attacked space station.

When that ginger chick first appeared, I heard her yammer something about being "special needs", and I was like "is she retarded?" and it turns out no, she just has a snoring problem. Must have been why they assigned Michael to be her roommate - as additional punishment for her mutiny.

The golden age of tv was the 50's. If this is anything this is the promethium era.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

When that ginger chick first appeared, I heard her yammer something about being "special needs", and I was like "is she retarded?" and it turns out no, she just has a snoring problem. Must have been why they assigned Michael to be her roommate - as additional punishment for her mutiny.

She is in special need to take a quarter and go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off her face.

I know! She has a few prominent spots that they couldn't even hide with make up. Jeez do the poor girl a favour and give her a more flattering make-up job. This is one of the major drawbacks of 4K and HD if you're a performer - the camera can be very unforgiving!

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Female shaming!

You and I had a blast making fun of that mole

I believe your specific words were "That's no mole, thats a space station!"