Star Trek Discovery

I cant wait to get the Eaglemoss diecast models of Discovery, Shenzou, and most especially the Enterprise.

I'm up to the last few episodes and I think it's been a blast! Sure it falls for some of the dopiest sci-fi TV tropes and features some of the biggest eye-rolling SJW excesses of modern TV (lacking the cerebral subtlety of earlier Trek), but whatevs, it has high entertainment value. A bit on the pulpy side, considering it seems they were aiming for "serious modern TV" but good fun.

6 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

...and features some of the biggest eye-rolling SJW excesses of modern TV...

It's like the past 50 years of the franchise went right over your head.

4 minutes ago, John said:

It's like the past 50 years of the franchise went right over your head.

The old shows were about manly men doing manly things like climbing rocks, chopping wood, toasting marshmellons, and stuff.

• 1 month later...

Looks like John Eaves intended the Enterprise to be so that if you took parts off it, it becomes the TOS Enterprise, but the showrunners changed his intentions by upping the scale and changing the angle of the nacelle struts.

• 2 months later...

Star Trek: Discover S2E01

I'd forgotten how frustrating this series is. The pacing and editing is still all over the place, sometimes focusing for a comparatively long time on minor things, at other times jumping from one scene to another which, as the dialogue slowly indicates, seems to take place at a later time in a different location. The humour still doesn't work - at all, more often than not - and some performances feel so awkward that I'm still not sure if it's deliberate or not. It's showy as hell, with at times painful emphasis on fan service over flow, and at the same time it sometimes points out some rather basic canon rules in very clumsy bits of dialogue (like Saru suddenly realising - aloud - that because of transporter activity, the shields must be down, just before the Discovery gets hit by an asteroid). It's as if they tried to make both a show specifically for Trekkis and at the same time a show specifically for non-Trekkies, and ended up with the oddest of both worlds. The cinematography and effects are a constant assault on the senses - plenty of deus ex machina effects for no other reason than looking spectacular (which just means that you don't know what you're supposed to focus on among all the visual extravaganza), sometimes (like those landing pods) even deux ex machina technology for, apparently, the sake of adding more effects without any necessity on a plot basis. To make matters worse, the script deliberately leaves any setup for this out of the dialogue. The score, half the time, seems to score something else than what is actually shown. The whole thing feels rather autistic, really. And as for the camera: No, spinning is not a good trick, especially if you're doing it all the time.

And yet I still want to know how it continues, and how it's going to fit in with the rest of the Trek universe. At least the bridge crew finally got introduced (after a whole season), if only very briefly. And Anson Mount's Pike is good.

So this show has now gone full anamorphic? How is it TV shows are doing that these days? Has Panavision decided to lease out its lenses at reduced rates or have studios found cheaper alternatives? Looks great though!

I'd forgotten this thread exists. I'll cross-post my recent bit from the TV series thread here:

Star Trek: Discover S2E01

I'd forgotten how frustrating this series is. The pacing and editing is still all over the place, sometimes focusing for a comparatively long time on minor things, at other times jumping from one scene to another which, as the dialogue slowly indicates, seems to take place at a later time in a different location. The humour still doesn't work - at all, more often than not - and some performances feel so awkward that I'm still not sure if it's deliberate or not. It's showy as hell, with at times painful emphasis on fan service over flow, and at the same time it sometimes points out some rather basic canon rules in very clumsy bits of dialogue (like Saru suddenly realising - aloud - that because of transporter activity, the shields must be down, just before the Discovery gets hit by an asteroid). It's as if they tried to make both a show specifically for Trekkis and at the same time a show specifically for non-Trekkies, and ended up with the oddest of both worlds. The cinematography and effects are a constant assault on the senses - plenty of deus ex machina effects for no other reason than looking spectacular (which just means that you don't know what you're supposed to focus on among all the visual extravaganza), sometimes (like those landing pods) even deux ex machina technology for, apparently, the sake of adding more effects without any necessity on a plot basis. To make matters worse, the script deliberately leaves any setup for this out of the dialogue. The score, half the time, seems to score something else than what is actually shown. The whole thing feels rather autistic, really. And as for the camera: No, spinning is not a good trick, especially if you're doing it all the time.

And yet I still want to know how it continues, and how it's going to fit in with the rest of the Trek universe. At least the bridge crew finally got introduced (after a whole season), if only very briefly. And Anson Mount's Pike is good.

My guess is they'll make another few seasons and end Discovery by which time Paramount and other studios would have a willing replacement ready. 

I think that's why they've been amping up the production of the Picard series, as a fallback and a way to mull fans over who have been jumping ship to Orville!

Paramount has nothing to do with Discovery since they havent owned star trek in a long time.

CBS is amping up new Star trek content because it appears to be the only thing that gets subscribers to their CBS All Access streaming service. So there's Discovery, the Picard show, the animated Star Trek show by the Rick and Morty guys and the Michelle Yeoh spin-off show. 

• 2 weeks later...