Star Trek Discovery

• 2 weeks later...

On the Walking Dead Star Trek Discovery never existed.

Except the Star of Discovery was a character on the Walking Dead

But if the show never existed then how can she have been the star.

......Norman coordinate!

The Discovery Enterprise Ncc-1701 is gorgeous. 

Thats all that matters. It makes the kelvin enterprise look like some incestuous birth.

• 1 month later...

With the two parter still to go I must confess that I have grown more fond of Star Trek: Discovery. After trying for 1,5 seasons to be a Prestige TV, dark and meaningful gritty sci-fi, it has decided to become Star Trek: Agents Of Shield/Doctor Who/Warehouse 13/Fringe/Torchwood.

Lots of plot plot plot, twist twist twist, action action action, technobabble storytelling.

And cool lensflares! I like it!

An interesting way of writing the USS Discovery out of the canon, by pretending it didn't exist in the first place (and thus ignoring all the technology that could have made ships more advanced than even the TNG era). Any guesses what time it might end up in? I'm going to guess it might connect to the Picard series.

I'd take a series centred around the Enterprise under Pike's command for sure.

The single biggest reason to look forward to Picard is not Patrick Stewart, but that we're finally (FINALLY) not in the TOS (or earlier) time period for the first time since 2002.

It's been 17 years since we had a Trek show or movie where people didn't need to ask themselves how it relates to or changes story established by previous shows or movies.

The problem with the new Picard series is that it will need to be at least 25% different from the pre-2005 Treks because of the CVS-Paramount split. It's still just a crummy parallel universe instead of a sequel to official canon, which has been dormant since Enterprise ended. 

1 minute ago, xWxzek said:

The problem with the new Picard series is that it will need to be at least 25% different from the pre-2005 Treks because of the CVS-Paramount split. It's still just a crummy parallel universe instead of a sequel to official canon, which has been dormant since Enterprise ended. 

That 25% different thing has already been debunked.

1 minute ago, xWxzek said:

I don't care. I see it how I want to see it because I will not give money to CBS for their shitty wannabe Trek. Don't throw your facts at me. 

You should be a politician. They use that logic too :lol:

Every Star Trek film and episode from 2009 on does not influence, enhance, or improve the pre-existing Trek franchises in any positive way. It's all a legal nightmare intended to deceive the consumer and should be avoided at all costs. 

14 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

I don't care. I see it how I want to see it [...] Don't throw your facts at me. 

:whistle:

I mean, it fits either way. See it how you want to see it, I'll see it my way.

Woj, CBS owns the TV rights to Star Trek, Paramount only owns the movies.

CBS can do what they want with Picard and TNG stuff, provided it isnt exclusive to the 4 TNG movies.

Discovery's final solution for itself is interesting.

3 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Please don't say final solution.

How does 'last-minute result' sound? Or 'ultimate quick fix'?

Brief overview of season 2

Spoiler

Started feeling very much like the first season, visually stylish but haphazard sci-fi show with not much subtlety in it's bones, and doing "big, profound" ideas while really writing cheques it cannot cash. 

Apparently though after about 5 episodes of spending truckloads of money, the two showrunners were fired for "causing a toxic work atmosphere" and Alex Kurtzman of Star Trek (2009)/Transformers/Mission Impossible 3 fame took over production, and the show slowly because to shift it's purpose.

It's my personal opinion Kurtzman and his writer's room basically reverse engineered the plot from whatever was already done at that point, helped themselves of whatever bits of the canon they felt they wanted, and retooled this previously Golden Age TV wannabe into, a fastpaced and slick sci-fi action show. Pretty much fully serialized, with a huge epic plot, which in it's style is far more something you would find on a show like Agents Of Shield, Warehouse 13, Fringe, Doctor Who show like that. Network or cable Tv shoes designed to hook you in with plot twists, action, huge drama, very obvious, on the nose dialogue, and clear and distinct characters, who's motivations are mostly governed by whatever the plot needs them to do.

The second part of season 2 feels like a Bad Robot Star Trek TV show, with a clear objective, and no qualms of using any trick in the book to get there. It scavanges the canon, because they need to find a way to finally deal with the shows biggest problem.

Star Trek: Discovery has always had the problem is taking place 10 years before Star Trek TOS. The other problem was that it never really seemed to know what it wanted to be. Season 2 effectively solves the canon issues caused by the show's very existence. It took 2 seasons and 28 episodes, but finally Discovery did what it should have done from day one, get the hell out of Kirk's time!

And perhaps for season 3 it will find out what kinda show it wants to be?

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Star Trek For People Who Don't Like Star Trek

I don't think this is true any longer.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I think if you knew me better you would not accuse me of gatekeeping.

It's a good thing I don't know you at all :P

(You gazumped my reply)

Just now, Stefancos said:

Brief overview of season 2

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think this is true any longer.

Oh not Discovery.  The JJ movies.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh not Discovery.  The JJ movies.

I personally see them as a gateway in to Trek overall. Or a basic starter set.

(Though I think Beyond is the most 'Trek'-like of the three, I can see where you're coming from here, since there was no real space exploration or new worlds in 2009 or STID)

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I like the 1st and 3rd JJ Treks, but they totally are kind of Trek for people who traditionally didn't enjoy Trek.

I can't really see that myself, but maybe that's because, like I said, I saw it as a gateway in. I wouldn't have seen TOS without it, and I might not have refreshed on TNG either (which I did watch growing up).

I suppose it's different things to different people.

Just now, Gistech said:

I personally see them as a gateway in to Trek overall. Or a basic starter set.

Yes, this is probably true.  I'm mostly thinking of the people I knew who already had an opinion about Trek (the most common one I'd hear is that Trek is boring).  Then JJ comes along and makes it ZIPPY.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the 1st and 3rd JJ Treks, but they totally are kind of Trek for people who traditionally didn't enjoy Trek.

They're Trek for a new generation though. Which must surely be the point, ultimately.

Plenty of original Trek fans didn't warm up to TNG at all. But a new generation embraced it.