Star Trek Discovery

Just watched the Season 2 finale - it's brilliant! Some quick, unresolved deus ex machina shenanigans towards the end though.

I don't think any show has come this close to looking like a film, the production and cinematography and writing is all amazing!

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I don't think any show has come this close to looking like a film, the production and cinematography and writing is all amazing

It looks breathtaking, the writing is.... barely adequate though.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Just watched the Season 2 finale - it's brilliant! Some quick, unresolved deus ex machina shenanigans towards the end though.

I don't think any show has come this close to looking like a film, the production and cinematography and writing is all amazing!

Forgive me if you've said this before, but have you watched any of the older series? I have some questions for you, but they would be rather meaningless if you haven't. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This isn't a GoT thread.

Yo, dude, seriously. Anytime I see someone post anything related to Star Trek, one of my immediate thoughts is "When am I gonna see some one-liner from Jurassic Shark about how Star Trek sucks?" Could you stop it, please?

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Yo, dude, seriously. Anytime I see someone post anything related to Star Trek, one of my immediate thoughts is "When am I gonna see some one-liner from Jurassic Shark about how Star Trek sucks?" Could you stop it, please?

I didn't write anything about sucking here. You're generalising. :)

@Nick Parker I'm a fan of the Abrams' Trek, so save your arguments! Yes, I've watched every Trek show except DS9 which I'm still getting around to doing.

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This isn't a GoT thread.

I'm not a fan of Game of Thrones. Some of it looks lovely but there's no style behind it, no voice behind the camera. It sometimes looks static and dull.

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Nick Parker I'm a fan of the Abrams' Trek, so save your arguments! Yes, I've watched every Trek show except DS9 which I'm still getting around to doing.

Haha, I just wanted to ask you some questions about if you felt Discovery was starting to shape up like other Star Trek shows in their philosophical reach and dramatic sensibilities (growing the beard, if you will).

52 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Haha, I just wanted to ask you some questions about if you felt Discovery was starting to shape up like other Star Trek shows in their philosophical reach and dramatic sensibilities (growing the beard, if you will).

Definitely this season, and whilst I didn't like the skynet plot, I thought their mission and sacrifice to protect the sphere data by sending it into the future was a little nod to thinking about more than warships and and phaser fights.

In TNG each episode was a little parable where both the crew and the people they encounter are run through moral dilemmas and questions of ethics whereas Discovery is this long season arc that works in it's own way.

I feel like the end of this season should allow the next one to allow Discovery to explore the future, and kind of adopt that familiar Trek vibe of entering a new scenario or focusing on each of the characters.

So, in time I think it can shape up to become a good Trek series although I should add that everyone's going to take away different aspects of the show that they associate with Trek and won't accept some of Discovery's questionable antics.

Well, S2 was certainly better than S1. At least it had an engaging (if confusing) plot and more characters among the crew, even if they often were only fleshed out quickly before the plot needed them to be (i.e. not long enough in the case of

Spoiler

Airam's death

, which as a result felt rather gimmicky). The visuals and effects are still all over the place, with the camera flying around upside down and constantly tilting every way, just because it can. Tilly is still likeable and amusing (in small doses) and still way too over the top and thus often just annoying. The writing is still all over the place, to the extent that by the time the finale came along I could barely remember half of it and couldn't tell if many things were just poorly handled plot strains or gaping plot holes (although I suspect it's the latter in many cases). I was especially confused by Po at the beginning of the first part of the finale, but apparently that refers to Short Treks which I was completely unaware of until just now. The pacing and (deliberately?) clunky plotting confuses because characters constantly show up out of nowhere without explanation, sometimes wth no apparent way of getting there at the time (e.g. Sarek and Amanda near the end of the season - I don't think they were holograms). The ultimate solution to the TOS timeline problem caused by the Discovery's existence seems superficially epic, but also highly implausible. The Discovery is still and ugly ship, although the Enterprise is gorgeous. The show's main draw is perhaps Anson Mount, who makes a phenomenal Pike.

I have no idea how a third season is supposed to continue from here. Going along with the Discovery seems a bit like a cop out, and also would remove one of the more engaging aspects of S2 (i.e. its close relation to elements directly connected with established canon), although I suppose it has to happen. Personally, I'd be much more interested in another Enterprise/Pike season.

Oh, and S2 actually had some good music.

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The visuals and effects are still all over the place, 

The general quality of the CGI takes a nosedIve after the first few eps. Apparently the original showrunners pretty much blew the budget, and were fired. CBS then gave the show to Alex Kurtzman, who probably had to economize a bit.

The last 2 eps looks proper cinematic though.

The visuals for the final episode are amazing, though, but it's perhaps the one area in total that separates the show from the films in terms of the quality of the CGI.

The Admiral's death was a bit silly. I can't believe the bulkhead door was stronger than the hull and several decks of a starship! Just make the ship out of those bulkhead doors, duh!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

The visuals for the final episode are amazing, though, but it's perhaps the one area in total that separates the show from the films in terms of the quality of the CGI.

They were technically competent, but I found hardly any of the effects in the finale aesthetically pleasing. As most visuals in the show, they were visual overload - during Michael's suit flight, I could barely make out what was happening.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The Admiral's death was a bit silly. I can't believe the bulkhead door was stronger than the hull and several decks of a starship! Just make the ship out of those bulkhead doors, duh!

Very fishy, yes. Also the cheap trick of foreshadowing

Spoiler

Pike's long awaited accident

and then not going through with it.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Very fishy, yes. Also the cheap trick of foreshadowing

Reveal hidden contents

and then not going through with it.

Huh? The accident takes place a few months before The Menagerie part 1.

Season 2 takes place about 9 years before TOS, how should the accident have happened?

It should've happened right before the credits rolled and leave it on a nine year cliffhanger!

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Huh? The accident takes place a few months before The Menagerie part 1.

Season 2 takes place about 9 years before TOS, how should the accident have happened?

What's canon in time travel stories where people are zipping from alternate realities and into the future and the past of alternate parallel worlds?

I like how they handled the TOS material too - even using footage that is framed in such a way that to me TOS looks like a TV show that was in the fictional Star Trek universe. The upgrades and design of The Enterprise bridge all look fine because there's no way that they could ever pass off the TOS designs in a more hyperrealistic world.