Star Trek Discovery

11 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I liked the previous Star Trek series' from the beginning.

I watched the Enterprise pilot and it was a piece of shit!

But i liked the others.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Kira'd never let you near her!  Men who can change their physical state are more her type

Or men with political power and influence.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

In a world with the holodeck, I ain't wankin' in the shower anymore...

Don't forget that in the Trek universe, any knowledge of network security protocols has been lost, and everyone can hack into every console to view and replay your holodeck history.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If you fuck an holographic woman inside the holodeck, and you cum inside here. What happens to the jizz after the program is closed?

It unceremoniously falls to the floor.  You don’t wanna take a black light to those holosuites.....

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah!  Messages about prejudice don’t belong in Trek!

Oh wait. That’s exactly where they belong.

It isn't about the message, but the delivery.  The franchise has, in the past, made much needed and effective points on such matters.  But it was always done with a certain quiet earnestness and matter of factness, devoid of preaching.

Perhaps it is inevitable that a 2017 stab at Trek wouldn't be able to manage that same tact, and is instead a bleeding heart used as a hammer.

Also, I just think this show seems very poorly done and unconvincing.  It's too bad.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

If you fuck an holographic woman inside the holodeck, and you cum inside here. What happens to the jizz after the program is closed?

Hence the wanking in the sonic shower.

I think part of what ruined the first episode for me is the fact that it's obviously a serialized TV show like everything else now that people watch for hours on end on Netflix, with each episode leading into the next. This is terrible because it can seem like nothing is actually happening in an episode because it's just a continuous "middle" portion of an overlong episode split up for a whole season. Modern television shows are just filler a lot of the time. In many ways, they've ripped off daytime soap operas. Compare to, say, an episode of Star Trek with not just a middle, but a beginning and end. An episode like "Who Watches the Watchers" would go on for at least 4 episodes in this new format. "The Best of Both Worlds" would be two whole seasons. DS9 season 7 would be 12 seasons.

I'm like disturbed of how UN!!!!!!!!!critical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  are you of the space (the hollywood) around you..... I would spray you with a a BUG REMOVAL..... You just talking as if nothing of that SHIT IS GOING ON..... Maybe that is just "you Americans" covering your eyes in the sand......

18 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I think part of what ruined the first episode for me is the fact that it's obviously a serialized TV show like everything else now that people watch for hours on end on Netflix, with each episode leading into the next. This is terrible because it can seem like nothing is actually happening in an episode because it's just a continuous "middle" portion of an overlong episode split up for a whole season. Modern television shows are just filler a lot of the time. In many ways, they've ripped off daytime soap operas. Compare to, say, an episode of Star Trek with not just a middle, but a beginning and end. An episode like "Who Watches the Watchers" would go on for at least 4 episodes in this new format. "The Best of Both Worlds" would be two whole seasons. DS9 season 7 would be 12 seasons.

I miss episodic TV

I think it's trendy to bash episodic Trek these days because everything would usually be resolved by the end and the Enterprise would sail off. We can't have any resolve and there need to be references to things that happened in earlier episodes and character deaths.

Yet, TNG is the favorite and that was episodic.

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

DS9 hit the sweet spot in between episodic and serialized. Just the right amount of both.

Yes!

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love episodic Trek.  I’m down for something different though.

Yes!

On 30/09/2017 at 1:20 PM, Stefancos said:

Somedays, when I'm doing my dreary work in my meaningless existence my mind wonders to what it would be like, living on that station...

star-trek-deep-space-nine-hd-bluray.jpg

My version of that (and I'd wager that of most other blokes) is the zombie apocalypse. 

I've never once fantasized about zombie apocalypse.  Not knocking it, just a fantasy I never understood the appeal of.

When I was a kid I was super into the idea of living in Narnia and partying with all the fauns and shit.  Now that I'm older.... hmmmmm I've definitely daydreamed about having a TARDIS.

The appeal of Doctor Who is being an old guy in a younger body who whisks sexy ladies away on space/time adventures. It's the appeal for both men and women, regardless of what they're saying now that the Doc is becoming a chick. Poll women and the majority will say their favorite Doctor is David Tennant because he's sexy. Women love him. Men want to be him.

Great fantasy material.

I've never seen a single episode of Doctor Who. At least an entire one. 

Some of my friends were into it growing up, but the couple times I caught a few seconds all I remember is these rolling robots that looked like a giant pepper shaker with an egg beater and toilet plunger stuck to them. Were they the Doctor's servants? I know there's a phone box in there somewhere as well, where I assume he changed into his scarf (I distinctly remember a scarf).

I guess it's sorta weird that someone who grew up on sci-fi and fantasy never watched that show, but there it is.

35 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I didn't get into it until the last year. It's rare that I embrace anything, so it must be good.

Well what else do you embrace?

51 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

robots that looked like a giant pepper shaker with an egg beater and toilet plunger stuck to them. Were they the Doctor's servants?

:mellow:

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The appeal of Doctor Who is being an old guy in a younger body who whisks sexy ladies away on space/time adventures. 

I really don't think that's what Doctor Who is about at all and I would be very surprised to discover this is how people see it. Up until very recently, the companions were often decidedly asexual in Doctor Who. Bubbly children's TV presenter sorts, very animated and enthusiastic. Not exactly seductive stunners. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I really don't think that's what Doctor Who is about at all and I would be very surprised to discover this is how people see it. Up until very recently, the companions were often decidedly asexual in Doctor Who. Bubbly children's TV presenter sorts, very animated and enthusiastic. Not exactly seductive stunners. 

We had more unsexy than sexy doctors, if you ask me!

Context Is For Kings

Clocks in at 37 minutes, officially the shortest live action episode of Star trek ever, even shorter than ep 2. This means on CBS they must have stuffed this with ads. Another sign that, despite the budget, this isnt really Golden Age TV.

The episode went hot and cold for me. For every scene I liked there was one that didnt do anything. It follows the JJ movies by putting something histrionic in almost every scene. 

Burnham and a few prisoners gets transported on a ship that gets attacked by electricity eating bugs, Discovery is there ïn the nick of time" to rescue them and Michael is put to work on some mystery project and meets a few crewmembers. Thats' essentially it. There's a part where an away team...sorry boarding party board Discovery's sistership The Glenn, which suffered somekinda weird malfunction, which isnt explained. there's some Klingons there. But they probably don't have anything to do with what happened. A Rathar is on the ship for some reason...no idea... and begins to chase the away tea...boarding party... Burnham uses some of her inginuity and kinda saves the day. The Captain of the discovery (Jason Isaac, who's suitably sinister in the role) offers her a job on board.

Oh and we get to meet a few crew members, not a single one being interesting at this point.

The scenes between Michael and Lorca worked, even if not a lot else actually did. Martin-Green was good in those scenes, while all the others mainly had her reacting to others. I did like her reunion with Saru. 

The dialogue felt awfully contemporary. Who in the 23'th century makes Beatles remarks? 

The new ship looks fine, got a better establishing shot that The Enterprise did in the JJ movie.

It felt quite hurried, no breathing time at all. edited to within an inch of its life.

The corpses on the other ship looked quite graphic, this isnt a show for kids. 

Discovery seems to be setting itself up as a mystery show. It's one mystery after an other. What is Discoveries mission? What's the deal with the spores, really? What's Lorca's real objective? Why is he hauling Rathars?

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The dialogue felt awfully contemporary. Who in the 23'th century makes Beatles remarks? 

A common occurrence in many Trek series, I've found.  Where all the crewmembers' cultural references are suspiciously 20th century based.

Different though. The main science guy, the one in charge of the mushrooms talked 100% as a 2017 tech/science guy.

It was slightly distracting actually. 

Dunno yet about Burnham's roommate. She's awfully annoying now, dangerously close to Lt. Barclay levels, but that could change. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Who in the 23'th century makes Beatles remarks? 

Or listens to the Beastie Boys?

This is old hat for Star Trek though, making characters into 20th century culture, partially to make them more "relatable" to contemporary audiences, but mostly for cheap laughs. Thus, Sisko's obsession with baseball, Julian Bashir liking 60's Vegas, Tom Paris being into classic cars, old TV shows, etc. It's obviously just a wink to the audience, but really it's sort of lame. It's just another variation of having Data say something stupid and meaningless like "lock & load." 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

A common occurrence in many Trek series, I've found.  Where all the crewmembers' cultural references are suspiciously 20th century based.

I think it's also just a practical thing from the writers POV. Writer's like to write about what they know about, and it's easier to give the characters passions and hobbies that the creators can relate to than having to make stuff up.  It's just a shortcut. If you have Sisko be into some 23rd century sport or cultural thing you have to explain what it is, how it works, why Sisko loves it, etc. Make him into baseball and all that takes care of itself.

Of course.  And I'm sure your point about the science guy in Discovery's episode is spot on. I just haven't had a chance to watch yet, I'll catch it later tonight.

43 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And I'm sure your point about the science guy in Discovery's episode is spot on.

It is:

To be fair, I remember moments in shows like Deep Space Nine where characters would make very contemporary Earth-bound references that made you say "What?"...wasn't there a moment in an episode where Kira made a reference to riding a bike, for example? As long as Discovery's cumulative quality is consistently good, I think those kinds of little jarring moments will fade away in time (anyone who'd like to insert a picture of Roy Batty, please do so now).

Also, Sisko's love for baseball is endearing!