Star Trek Discovery

So is all the fauna powdered hyperdrive stuff technically still canon then? I hear they did away with that WOEFUL ABOMINATION of an idea this season, but the fact that it ever existed at all bothers me, and I'm not even a Trekkie.

Discovery was a science vessel, right, and as much the Spore Drive was a bit of an iffy ethical concern, It seemed to me to be borne out of the research from the war, coupled with Lucius Malfoy's evil plot to get back to the Terran universe.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Huh? The accident takes place a few months before The Menagerie part 1.

Season 2 takes place about 9 years before TOS, how should the accident have happened?

I didn't know that. I'm not fully stepped in TOS lore - in fact I still haven't seen the full original series. I always assumed that the accident was the reason why TOS has Kirk as the Enterprise's captain. Still, Pike's premonition clearly looked like it was supposed to show his well known crippling accident - or is that what it was anyway, and my mistake was assuming that it's the direct result of the torpedo (which seems clearly implied)? As I said, the show's storytelling is more than just a bit wonky.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A thing of beauty!

enterprise_bridge_in_discovery.png

I totally buy that as a modern shot of the same bridge that was home to Kirk & Co.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's canon, but now in a way that it's conveniently explained away that it's never used of mentioned in any other Trek series or movie.

I just don't think it's that convenient. Quite some people in Starfleet must have known about the spore drive. Some of them are dead, some are in Section 31, some are still on Discovery, and we just have to assume that all the others will never talk about it again, without exception. And what about holographic communication? It's not just that some people not involved in the actual story must have invented that before installing it on Discovery - they must have installed it in other locations, too, or how else would they have used it to communicate with people elsewhere? Or is that still canon?

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Still, Pike's premonition clearly looked like it was supposed to show his well known crippling accident - or is that what it was anyway, and my mistake was assuming that it's the direct result of the torpedo (which seems clearly implied)? As I said, the show's storytelling is more than just a bit wonky.

I watched The Menagerie yesterday. 

Pike's premium in DSC was basically to make him a heroic character, accepting his future, unavoidable (???) faith to acquire a Time Crystal (???).

I liked it as a character beat. I rather liked how they treated Pike on this show. Basically the reverse of Lorca.

But yeah, the storytelling is very wonky.

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Pike's premium in DSC was basically to make him a heroic character, accepting his future, unavoidable (???) faith to acquire a Time Crystal (???).

I liked it as a character beat. I rather liked how they treated Pike on this show. Basically the reverse of Lorca.

Oh certainly, I'm only complaining about the confusing plot (non-)implications. As a character, he was treated well. Pike easily feels the most Trek character in the show - with a dash of 60s Kirk spirit that never feels anything but natural. Judging from the quotes I read on Mount's IMDb biography page, his personal views don't seem very much in line, so the fact that he seems so authentic and comfortable as a Starfleet Captain is in fact good acting.

Mound as Pike was good, Ethan Peck as Spock....not so good.

Why hire an actor who doesn't look or act like Spock and give him a beard, only to reveal he looks and acts even less like Spock once he shaves?

Martin-Green improved this season as Burnham, and rebooting Saru as a character who isn't scared of everything by his very nature means a first rate actor like Doug Jones actually has more interesting things to do 

Mound as Pike was good, Ethan Peck as Spock....not so good.

Why hire an actor who doesn't look or act like Spock and give him a beard, only to reveal he looks and acts even less like Spock once he shaves?

I thought Peck was fine, though nothing special. He looked similar enough to me, and I don't think you're going to find someone who looks like Nimoy *and* sounds remotely like him anyway. At least Peck had a somewhat similarly dark timbre. He isn't very interesting, but the script doesn't give him much in the way of character.

Martin-Green improved this season as Burnham,

I liked here a lot in S1, but by now I'm finding her a bit cliched and on-sided.

and rebooting Saru as a character who isn't scared of everything by his very nature means a first rate actor like Doug Jones actually has more interesting things to do 

I've always been a fan of Saru, design and acting wise (I'm totally unfamiliar with Doug Jones otherwise). Like everyone else, he was mostly a non-character in S1, and in that regard he certainly fared better in S2, even though there's still no more depth to him than there was to TNG O'Brien.

Burnham in season 2 went from a PTSD suffering mutineer to a woman dealing mostly with work and family issues. She has a dick foster brother and....kinda....3 moms in this season.

Martin-Green plays family drama better than war trauma I think.

Have they just made Stamets the Chief Engineer this season? Because he wasn't originally.

The Burnham character is criminally poorly written.

She’s supposed to be half Vulcan because of her Vulcan upbringing, and they time and time again make a statement to that effect - but the character is completely driven by impulse and emotion.

Either the writers intended all of her fellow crew members to be completely blind and keep stating contrary to the fact, or it’s just bad writing.

I suspect the latter.

What a ripper of a finale. Really enjoyed that a lot, pushed a lot of the right buttons. Stray thoughts on the season:

• Anson Mount was the season MVP with his Pike oozing charisma. He could've done his own series.
  • Doug Jones is one of the strongest actors Trek has ever had, and wonderful that he is so expressive underneath all that latex. Great to see him in speaking roles where he can really shine.
  • Just give me a whole series with Pike and Number One. Actually, just a whole series with Number One would be fine. Good to see Romijn again.
  • Agree with above statements about Sonequa Martin-Green doing a much better job with the family drama than the war trauma. Her character was allowed to be more expressive this season and she hit it out of the park.
  • I'm looking forward to season 3 in the future. Really, really looking forward to it. Calling it now: we'll probably see the Borg and Romulans.

I am not a Trekkie, but a comment above mentioned Pike and that he is good in the roll, and similar in appearance...

To what???

I just googled and found that the character was in the original series, wheelchair, scared face and all, just as his “glimpse into the future”.

Lol, I should probably just stick to my Spanish soap operas!

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Burnham in season 2 went from a PTSD suffering mutineer to a woman dealing mostly with work and family issues. She has a dick foster brother and....kinda....3 moms in this season.

Sounds very soapy, even for Star Trek.

Just watched the finale. Step up from last season.

Still not sure if I'm sold on the whole thing; is it just me or is there something "off" about the whole Discovery thing?

It feels quite over-stuffed at the very least.

I also got the impression this season had some sort of theist agenda; but not quite all the way.

It's been an odd experience.

I definitely liked seeing all the TOS stuff.

Would love to watch a less over-stuffed series with this Enterprise and this version of her crew.

• 7 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, Pieter Boelen said:

I also got the impression this season had some sort of theist agenda; but not quite all the way.

It's been an odd experience.

The show changed showrunners mid season so the theist stuff from the first 6 episodes was pretty much junked.

• 2 months later...

I finally started watching Star Trek Discovery.  I'm not going to subscribe to CBS all access for it.  I watched the first 5 episodes last night.  It's a binge-watch type show for sure but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Plus, I know all of the major season 1 spoilers already.

• 6 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:27 PM, JoeinAR said:

Star Trek Discovery S3ep1 .... Enjoyed it immensely 

Stopped watching this show somewhere during S1. Gave it another shot with S2 to see if things have improved but it's so bad I gave up after one episode. 

On 10/17/2020 at 2:14 AM, AC1 said:

Stopped watching this show somewhere during S1. Gave it another shot with S2 to see if things have improved but it's so bad I gave up after one episode. 

Your loss S2 was so good it gave us Star Trek Strange New Worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 8:39 AM, rough cut said:

I also watched Star Trek Discovery S3E1.

It was good.

I like how they made it feel a bit different plot wise, that it’s not just a repeat of S1 and S2.

ST Discovery S3E2

I guess I was wrong about that last statement.

It had its moments, but jeez, it is extremely hammy.

But I don’t think it’s the show’s fault, I guess it’s me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, rough cut said:

ST Discovery S3E2

I guess I was wrong about that last statement.

It had its moments, but jeez, it is extremely hammy.

But I don’t think it’s the show’s fault, I guess it’s me.

I thought E2 was decent. Really, anything heavy on Saru taking the lead is good in my book. He’s a great captain and the best character on the show. Probably the only character you could put in any other Trek series and fit right in (apart from Pike, who needs his own show already). Actually can we just have a show with Pike, Saru and Number 1? That would be great. No-one needs the evil bisexual Georgiou show that’s been rumoured. She’s exhausting.

I’m enjoying this season. It’s much better than Picard. That was such a wet fart of a show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still watching this, too. It's better than the last season, and I feel they took the criticism to heart and have tried to shape this show into something of its own. That said, I love all the references to TNG and DS9!

I'm still watching, although I'm not sure why LOL  I guess it's the fact that I've watched every episode of every (live action) series so far so don't want to miss out on anything.  

IMO, this season has not been as good as the prior two.  I don't care about the burn or where it came from.  923 years or however long it is, is way too large of a jump into the future.  The Voyager glimpse was nice but other than that they haven't put any of the futuristic Starfleet vessels front and center for fans to get a great view of them and their capabilities.  I feel that time-travel is too big of a go-to crutch used in the ST universe.  

I think its the best season so far. Its finding its own voice.  The mirror episode is quite good. I am a. Star Trek fan. I am nostalgic so I enjoyed Picard. But Lower Decks was/is the best.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m watching Discovery for the first time through. More than halfway through Season 1, and I don’t get the hate.  Would I have chosen the aesthetic for the uniforms, sets, Klingons? No.  But dang, I am entertained.  I hope it doesn’t go downhill. If it does, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know. 

I went in specifically to get to the Pike episodes, but am surprised how much I’m enjoying it. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I’m watching Discovery for the first time through. More than halfway through Season 1, and I don’t get the hate.  Would I have chosen the aesthetic for the uniforms, sets, Klingons? No.  But dang, I am entertained.  I hope it doesn’t go downhill. If it does, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know. 

I went in specifically to get to the Pike episodes, but am surprised how much I’m enjoying it. 

Very good news. I love it when people love things. We're watching Season 2 again. Strange New Worlds has such a different tone and look and everything even with Pike in both shows.

There are some very good characters. I liked Tilly right away but Stamets has grown on me as well.

Oh, and the one thing that was a home run for me in S1 was Michael and Sarek. Screw you, haters!

Holy crap!  Just finished S1 E11. They revealed that 

Spoiler

Captain Lorca has been from the Mirror Universe all along!  

Holy shit!  This show is GREAT!  Each episode is killing it.  What was it so many fans disliked about this show?  Eh, never mind,  don't tell me.  I'm just really enjoying it.

• 7 months later...

Not surprised to hear this, but I'm glad it'll get one last lap, it had a good run. As I've said before, the show finally came into its own in season 4. Hopefully whatever comes next has learned from its many, many mistakes.